Oneshot

Last Christmas

Last Christmas


‘When we grow up, we’ll still be together.’ 

My head aches from waking up abruptly. Stupid dream, I scolded myself as I stretched my arms, hearing my inner muscles ticked, like I have one. I looked at the time and saw it’s almost noon. Damn, I woke up a little later than I expected. 

“Dara?” 

“Coming.” I yelled as I rushed to the bathroom to rinse my face and gargle. I don’t want any morning breath to turn off my husband. I’m not sure he won’t leave me if he kissed me with bad breath, I thought to myself and giggled. Then I heard him again, “Dara!” 

I looked at my reflection and almost smiled at how I look like. Hair in a mess and my eyes has dark circles around them, lips are slightly chapped and I’m a little thinner than before. Oh yes, I couldn’t believe it but I still had some flesh left. I laughed at my own failed attempt of a joke. 

“I swear Dara, don’t make me come and get you or we won’t be coming out tonight at all. I know you don’t want to miss your high school reunion.” He yelled and I swore I can see him grinning at me. Seriously, that guy can’t just have enough of the deed. I can’t even see myself as someone to be desired at, even more with a guy like him. His friends were really surprised when he married me. Most of them thought that he will be marrying a voluptuous woman of his choosing and not a stick figured girl like me. 

Who would even question his taste when he chose me? I shook my head as I ran downstairs before he followed up on his threat. 

“Hey baby, good morning.” He welcomed me with open arms as soon as he saw me running towards him and planted a deep kiss on my lips. “You look so tired.” 

I kissed him back and pinched his waist as I answered, “There’s this caveman who keep going on and on the whole night. It’s a wonder that I even have the energy to wake up.” 

He made a kissy face that looks so cute on him and pulled me closer to kiss me again. I’m so lucky to have him in my life and I should be thankful about it. But somehow, I can’t help but… No, I need to stop myself from thinking about other stuff. I kissed him back and we made out like a pair of teenagers. 

“Hey. We have to stop now or you won’t be able to…” I told him and he pouted. I planted a light kiss on his lips and pushed him back. Finally freed from him, I made my way towards the kitchen and saw my favorite chocolate chip pancakes with maple syrup. I screamed in excitement, “Pancakes!” I looked at him and gave him a flying kiss, into which he responded of catching it, “You’re the best! I love your pancakes!” 

“I knew it! I just knew it.” He said in exaggeration and even managed to slam his hand over his heart kiddingly. “My friends were right. You just married me because of the pancakes. I’m hurt, babe.” 

I grinned and shook my head, “Oh course not”, I sliced the pancake into pieces and winked at me before saying, “I married you because of your meatball spaghetti and carrot cake too. It’s not just pancakes, baby.” 

“Is that my only use to you?” He asked as his expressions are priceless. I laughed as he added, “You’re just using me for my culinary skills! And here I thought it was because I’m awesome in bed.” The last words made me blush that he laughed out loud. He teased me, “For goodness’ sake, we’re married for almost a year now and you’re still blushing because of it. Cute, baby. Just cute.” 

“Shut up, okay.” I told him and just continued eating my pancake. “Let’s just get ready, okay? I don’t want to be late.” 

“Whatever you say, baby.” 

 

 


 


‘What if we go in our different ways and never see again?
That will never happen, don’t worry. And if it happens, I’ll make sure to find you.’ 


I blinked a few times as my eyes tried to get use to the light. I looked around and realized that I was in our room. I shook my head as I remembered what I just dreamed. Now, that’s something weird. It’s been a long time since I had that dream. Yes, far too long and he knew it was just a dream. Nothing to worry about, right?

I yawned and was about to sleep again when I heard her call me, “Jiyong!” 

Oh boy, now I’m sure I won’t be able to go back to sleep. I already heard her ascending and all I wished was to go back to sleep. Maybe I can seduce her back to bed.

“Hi baby.” I whispered in my most seductive voice. 

“Baby yourself. It’s already noon time.” She said in a constrained voice. I looked at her innocently and mouthed, “Noon?” She nodded and pointed at the wall clock. 

Freaking son of a–!

It’s already noon and if I remember it correctly, it’s the reunion thing today. No wonder she’s a little pissed at me. She always wanted to be on time or wanted to follow the rules, whatever they are. Always on the disciplined side. No wonder her friends always thought that I don’t deserve her. I’m always on the wild side or too much of a bad boy, her friends’ words and definitely not mine. I am not even sure why she’s putting up with me when her friends would always advise her to leave me for a better man. But I guess she really loves me

“You finally remember?” She asked sharply, one of her eyebrows was raised at me. I nodded and then a small smile curved on her lips. “Good.” She tossed me a dry bath towel and ordered, “Take a shower first and go downstairs, breakfast is ready.” 

I nodded and she turned around quickly.

Too quickly that she didn’t even greet me good morning. I sighed and told myself, “Good morning Jiyong.” 

I am not sure but I think this kind of thing is going on for the last few months of our life and we’re married for almost two years now. I closed my eyes and let out a deep breath. I should be more understanding and maybe she’s not just feeling good. Maybe she was too tired or maybe it’s the monthly visitor. Those kinds of things, maybe, I hope so.

Well, whatever it is, I hope it ends sooner since I’m not really well known for being patient. I calmed myself down before I went to the bathroom for a quick shower. 

Hoping that the cold water would cool down my hot temperament, I really hope so.

Or it would lead to another fight, a fight that I would rather want to avoid.

 

 

 


 


‘If we met somebody else during that time?
Then we’ll let each other know.’ 

“Hi…” He said in an awkward way.

“Hello… It’s been a long time…” She said in an awkward manner too. Probably anyone who was watching them thinks that they are really awkward with each other considering their close relationship before. 

“Merry Christmas.” He greeted politely.

“Same to you.” She greeted back.

“I never thought I’ll see you here.” He said as if trying to save the near-death of their conversation. “Are you here…” He paused and gulped before he continued, “…alone?”

She blinked a few times before she felt someone’s arms wrapped around her waist. She turned around and found him smiling at her. She smiled back and turned back her attention to him. She whispered, “I’m not alone. I’m with my husband.” She saw his eyes widened and she can see disappointment in them too. But it quickly has disappeared and now all it has was nothingness. Like how he was before. 

She remembered their promise before. If she meets someone else, she’ll let him know. So she did what she think was best and introduced them. “Jiyong, meet my husband, Jaejoong.” She turned and smiled at Jae and did the same, “Jae, meet my best friend, Jiyong.” 

“Nice to meet you, Jiyong.” Jaejoong cheerfully said and offered his hand to the other guy. 

Jiyong looked at the hand and it took him a second before he accepted it reluctantly. He whispered, “Same here. You’re lucky to have Dara as your wife…” His tone coated with bitterness. 

Jaejoong, being a nice and fun guy, jokingly said, “Nah, she’s just using me because of my culinary skills.” 

Her eyes widened at Jae’s statement and she playfully slapped his arms, “Yah! Don’t go spreading lies like that. Don’t believe him, Ji.” 

Jiyong looked at the happiness radiating from the two. For the first time in his married life, he was envious. It was at that exact moment when he heard someone faked a cough behind him and said, “Aren’t you going to introduce me Jiyong?”

He saw the two stopped with their playful banter and looked at the woman behind him.

“Oh, right…” He said and wrapped his arms around the waist of the woman beside him. “Dara, meet my wife, Jiyeon.” Then he looked at his wife and did the same, “Jiyeon, this is my best friend, Dara.” 

“You meant your ex-girlfriend, right?” Jiyeon corrected him and saw the tensed look on Jaejoong’s husband. Jiyeon, just wanted to spite him, added, “Because if I remember it correctly, Youngbae is your best friend. He’ll be sad to hear that you didn’t think the same.” 

“Jiyeon, not here.” He hissed and saw the uncomfortable atmosphere between them. 
“What? Did I say something wrong?” Jiyeon asked in pretense innocence. She faked a laugh, “Oh, your husband didn’t know that your ex-boyfriend is coming, right? Your childhood sweetheart.” 

“Jae…” Dara whispered and looked pleadingly at her husband. The guy just nodded and excused themselves.

He just watched as she leaves with her husband. Yes, that’s all he can do, watched her leave again when all he wanted to do was be with her. Time is really cruel to the both of them. Too cruel.

 

 

 


 


‘Whoever I meet in the future, I can’t love them the way I love you.’ 

Years had passed since I last saw her. I finally had divorced Jiyeon after discovering that she’s been cheating on me for a while. She’s been cheating with my business partner, Kikwang. Truth to be told, I never felt any piercing in my heart about the whole thing. 

It was like I already knew that I was just doing something that was meant to happen. If I don’t let go, I will just be prolonging the way things are meant to be. Right now, I’m quite thankful for my own freedom. I looked upwards and smiled when I saw the first snow pouring. 

Then it signaled that it’s holiday season again. I remembered that the last time I saw her was a holiday season again, specifically Christmas. How I wish I can see her again even if it meant seeing her with her husband. It doesn’t matter. I just want to be part of her life. 

Then I heard a familiar Christmas tune, a tune that I often associated with our story. How true it was especially when Christmas is always been the time whenever something happens occurred between us. 

“Déjà vu, right?” A soft spoken voice asked me. A voice that sounded a lot like her but I have to be delusional think that it was her, right?

Slowly, I turned around and saw her wrapped in a black pashmina, her head covered with a pink beanie and her body covered with black fur coat. Her feet covered with pink boots. I whispered her name, “Dara?” 

“Nice to see you again, Jiyong.” She smiled and tried to wave but unable to as her hands were full. 

“What are you doing here?” I asked with a frown and looked around, “Where’s your… husband?”

Her eyes spoke of sadness as she answered, “He’s been shot a year ago.” She smiled bitterly and continued, “Did you know it was Christmas time too? He was buying a last minute present for me when someone walked on to him and robbed him, shooting him on his head too.” She sighed and whispered, “That’s the saddest Christmas I’ll ever remember aside from…” 

She stopped and I knew what she wanted to say. It was him who caused the other sad memory of her Christmas. Unconsciously, I wrapped my arms around her and whispered, “My condolences. I don’t know what to say.” 

“I knew he’s in a happy place.” She said. “I’m sure he’s watching over me.” She looked up and frowned, ‘Where’s your wife?” 

“Divorced.” I said it in one word and showed her my empty ring finger. 

“Oh.” She said and an awkward silence enveloped us. 

For some reason, I grabbed the opportunity and asked her, “Are you celebrating Christmas’ eve alone this year?” 

She blinked and nodded, “I’m planning to just buy some cake and buy some food from my favorite pasta house to eat at home. You know how bad I am with cooking.” 

“How about if I cook for you? At least, we won’t be spending our Christmas alone.” I suggested and praying that she’ll accept my offer. 

Her eyes twinkled and asked, “Really? It’s been too long since I last tasted a home cooked meal. I’m living off with Chinese to-go the last few months.”

“Ah, and I thought you want me for my company.” I said and pretended that I was hurt. Of course, she knew me well and I was surprised when she said, “We can still just buy some food…” 

“Kidding, D.” I said and kissed the top of her head like how I used to do it. She seemed surprise to but she didn’t slap me nor push me away so I guess it was okay. I whispered, “I always love to cook for you. Always.” 

“Thanks, Ji.” She said and finally freed herself from me. She added, “By the way, it’s really nice to meet you again.” 

“Same here…” I whispered and watched her walk away from me. But this time, I knew that this would be the last time I’ll do that. 

 

 

 


 


‘I love you so much that I’ll always go back to you whatever happens in the future.’

My heart is about to burst as I looked at the wall clock. He should be knocking on the door any time now. I don’t know how many times I cleaned the whole house for this. I never even thought that he would offer to cook for me this Christmas’ eve. Knowing that he’s single again and have put him back to the market and I knew how many women would line up for him. But he promise to cook for me this night instead. 

Knock. Knock. 

I swear I almost felt my heart jumped out of my ribcage. I took a deep breath and looked at the full body mirror first. Hair is okay. Light make up is okay. My pink knee length dress is okay too and my bunny slippers are check too. So maybe, I’m ready now. 

I opened the door and my knees almost turned into liquid when I saw him smiling at me then giving me a stemmed rose. 

“I don’t want to come in empty handed.” He said as I accepted the stemmed rose. 

“Thanks. You shouldn’t have.” I muttered and I felt my face reddened at this. I feel like I’m in highschool all over again. 

He locked the door as soon as he stepped inside and asked, “So where’s the kitchen?” 

“Here…” I said and guided him to the most unused room in my house. Of course, now that Jaejoong wasn’t here, no one uses the kitchen. 

“This is nice.” He said as he admired the modernity of the kitchen. “I guess your husband knew his way in the kitchen...” 

I nodded and I almost felt my knees liquefied at his next words, “…and so to your heart.” I blushed but he’s not finished yet, “Maybe I can win you again the same way he did?” 

“Jiyong…” I mumbled.

“Dara…” He whispered and I stared at him waiting for his next words. Then he said, “Get out of the kitchen. You are distracting me. I’m afraid I won’t be able to win you if I cook burnt food, right?”

I laughed but heed his order. I decided to wait for him in the living room. I was probably too excited that I wasn’t able to sleep last night that I never felt I fell asleep. I only knew that I fell asleep when I felt someone poking my cheeks and calling my name in a soft, sensual way, “Dee… Dee…” 

“Hmmm…” I mumbled and grabbed the person waking me up then pulled the person closer. “Lemmee sleep.” 

“Don’t sleep on me. I’m not that much of a boring date if you give me a chance.” 

“Stop kidding me, Jiyong. Let’s just sleep.” 

“As much as I wanted to comply, I don’t sleep with someone on the first date.” That sentence of his woke me up and I found myself staring at him with a naughty smile on his face. He said, adding salt to the injury, “I never knew that you want it that fast with me. You just have to ask again, I may change my mind.” 

I pushed him and made him fall off the couch. Then I heard him laugh, yes, laughing at my expense.

“Did you finish cooking?” I asked him instead.

He nodded and led me to the dining area. It’s where I found a feast for more than two people. I looked at him and he smiled as he pulled a chair for me. 

“Thanks…” I mumbled and gaped at the food in front of me. “They all look so delicious…” 

“Of course, I cooked them.” He said with pride. “Try whatever you want or would you like your dessert first?” 

My eyes probably twinkled at the mention of the dessert since he laughed. He shook his head as he went toward my refrigerator and pulled something that looks like a cake. 

“You always ruin my surprises, Dee.” He uttered but he went ahead and took the cake to me. 

My eyes almost widened as I realized that the cake was shaped like a proposal ring box and right at the middle, there’s a gleaming diamond stone that seemed real. 

“Jiyong…” I called his name and he took the ring from the cake and knelt.

“I don’t want to wait any longer Dee and I’m just doing what I should have done in the past. I knew ever since the last Christmas that I saw you that I still love you. That if ever fate would give me another chance to have you again, I’ll do everything to have you back and so here I am.” He whispered and I knew that tears are falling on my cheeks. “I’m sorry if it took me a while to get to here and we have to detour and have almost found a roadblock… But now, fate feels kinder to me, to us, and I don’t want to test fate again. Please tell me that you’re marrying me?” 

“I…” 

“Say yes?” 

“Yes. I’ve waited... for a long time.” I answered and motioned him to put the ring on my finger. “I don’t think I ever came to stop loving you…” 

“Jaejoong…” 

“Yes… I love Jaejoong. He’s been there for me when I needed him the most. But he’s not you.” I whispered. “But I…” 

“I understand. I understand.” He said and kissed the top of my head like he used to. 

“I guess this will not be the last Christmas with you?” I kidded. 

“Of course. Coz I’m planning to spend every Christmas with you.” He said and pulled me in for a kiss. 

THE END. :) 





Note: Okaaaay... This is very cliche and has been written for the sake of Christmas spirit. Spread love. :) You see, bumpy roads are nothing to true love. Lesson of the story. Something like that. :) kekek! Hope you enjoy it applers. 

This is my Christmas gift to you. 

From the DG's resident oneshot shop and 'greenest', 
Berrie

Comments are love. :)