Chapter 1

Found you

I woke up with a splitting headache and the rain pounding on my face. Squinting my eyes, I sat up and tried to get some idea as to what I was doing in the middle of an old abandoned street.

"Hello?" I called out in a strangled voice. But it was pointless as the wind and thunder swallowed up any sound I made. Lightning flashed across the sky, followed by angry rumbling which was so loud I shuddered. Once again, I shielded my eyes from the lashing rain and tried to stand. At once the world started spinning like some crazy carousel out of control. "Ugh!"  I sat down with a thud again as my knees gave way. I moaned and rubbed my sore head.

I was cold. The cold rain seeped through my clothes, drenching me and making me chilled to the bone. I shivered. Something was wrong.

Where am I? I thought.

All around me, the storm ranged around rows upon rows of old dark houses. A few broken street laps were scattered aroung the street. While next to me, wild grasses in abandoned gardens danced in the wind.

"Achhoo!" I sneezed as the sharp wind cut through my clothes. Then there came the feeling again. Something was wrong. Very....very wrong.

I shook my head, trying to stop it from spinning and throbbing. And that's when I realized the problem.

My head. It felt...light. Too light. Like it was empty, a room devoid of furniture, only dust bunnies rolling around.

No....I started panicking. "Can't be!" My voice raised an octave higher. Reality bites. I scrambled to my knees, stumbling blindly around until I tripped and fell again. Skinning my knees in the process.

I lay on the cold rough pavement sobbing. I didn't know what I was crying for. I just felt like I had lost something, the hollow feeling in my chest told me.

Slowly, I started losing conscious. I was tired. Exhausted. Why? I don't know. I prepared to slip into that deep darkness called sleep when I saw a soft glowing light in the distance.

I smiled faintly, eyelids fluttering and just stared at it. It became brighter and brighter. Much too bright for my eyes to take it. It hurt my eyes. I frowned. 

Nearer still that loud, bright monster came. Suddenly, when I was just about to get ran over, it screeched to a stop. Car doors slammed open as the driver got down to stare at me. He scratched his head then ducked back into the car. There were some noises like arguing then the passenger door opened.

Leave me alone, I wanted to say. But I could barely breath. The passenger came closer, the driver holding an umbrella over him. That guy bent over me and asked urgently but not unkindly: " Are you hurt? What are you doing here?" I couldn't see his face but was sure it would have been etched with worry.

"No..." I whispered faintly to the dark shadow. "I don't know who I am." The guy asked something else. But by then I had out.