Final

I Miss that Attic

 

Sunlight seeped into the dusty attic, making the dust particles glow. Kai slowly opened his eyes and peaked out into the familiar room. He has been sitting here for a week now. The memories rinsing through his mind, making him space out in confusion. It felt like it was just yesterday when Kyungsoo was here, his laughter filling up the room. His smile that would make the sun shy away in comparison. He closed his eyes and tiredly leaned against the wooden pole. Kai had wrapped himself up in the very blanket they cuddled in. He lightly sniffed it and he sadly smiled. It smelled of Kyungsoo, the soft scent of warm sugar and vanilla. Kyungsoo.

 

“Kai!” Kyungsoo shouted as he waved excitedly out his window. “Up here! Climb the tree and I’ll help you get in!” Kai frowned and placed his hands on his hips. Night had fallen and the neighborhood was quiet, he wondered how Kyungsoo’s parents didn’t hear him screaming his name. He walked over and nimbly climbed the tree before jumping the last 3 feet into Kyungsoo’s warm embrace. “You actually came.” Kyungsoo nuzzled the top of Kai’s head and planted a kiss there. “You crazy bastard.” He mumbled before tilting Kai’s chin up and sweetly kissing his plump lips.

“You’re the one that makes me crazy.” Kai said breathlessly, while holding Kyungsoo’s waist tightly. “So why did I have to exactly come tonight?”

“You’ll see.” Kyungsoo gave Kai a mysterious smile. “But for now, help me drag my blanket up into the attic.”

“Why the attic? Why not stay here in your bed like always?” He tilted his head to one side, confused on why Kyungsoo would want his clean blanket in the dusty attic.

“Because, I wanted to show you my favorite place in the world.”

 

They both silently laid there and stared into the dark sky, stars freckled across the blackness. Kai intertwined his fingers with Kyungsoo’s and turned towards him. “I like it up here.” He softly spoke and Kyungsoo smiled. “Do you want to stay with me forever up here?” Kai squeezed their hands and rubbed his thumb over one of Kyungsoo’s knuckles.

“Y-yes.” Kyungsoo’s voice cracked and he turned away from Kai, tears wetting his eyes. “Forever.” Kai knew Kyungsoo was crying, but he was never good at comforting him. He pulled Kyungsoo closer to his chest so that they were spooning. His hot breath hovered over Kyungsoo’s neck as Kai began to slowly plant kisses down the pale expanse of his neck, quietly whispering, “I love you” with every kiss he placed. Kyungsoo stopped crying and relaxed, his mind blanking out.

“I’m afraid of what’s going to happen Kai. The doctors say I only have a couple of da-“

“Stop it.” Kai interrupted him. “I don’t want to hear any of that bull.”

Kyungsoo bit his bottom lip, he knows he’s dying. He can feel it in his soul. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

 

 

“Kyungsoo-ah, the stars are very bright tonight.” Kai cheerfully stated while leaning against the wood pole. They remind me of the way your eyes sparkle when you smile. Kai inhaled the sweet scent of Kyungsoo and smiled. “Are you warm enough?” Kyungsoo sleepily nodded, making his hair tickle Kai’s collar bones. “Good.”

“Kai?”

“Hmm?”

“I made a wish tonight.”

“But there weren’t any shooting stars.”

“I know, but want to hear my wish?”

“Yes,”

“I wished that I would live long enough to tell you a million times that I love you.”

Kai swallowed the lump that formed in his throat. “We have all the time in the world baby.”

 

 

Kyungsoo didn’t show up today. Nor did he show up yesterday.

 

Kai silently snuck into the attic and wrapped himself in the blanket, a blanket of memories or just a plain cotton blanket, he wasn’t too sure. I’ll wait for you. I promise you, I will wait until you return.

A week passed by and he finally opened his eyes. Looking around the familiar room, memories start to suffocate him. Kyungsoo isn’t coming anymore. He’s gone.  He closed his eyes and tiredly leaned against the wooden pole. Kyungsoo.