A Beautiful Sunday

Lost Friend

It was a beautiful and serene Sunday morning. After an absolutely scrumptious and satisfying breakfast, I comfortably sank my well-groomed body into the couch beside the window overseeing the Harbour Front. I was still in a good mood of enjoying my stunning achievement in completing the full Marathon of 42.195km in four and a half hours. Though the long and tough preparation for and participation in the race was meant to submerge myself in strenuous physical activities so as to try and forget about Kim Myungsoo, my beloved friend, the accomplishment had surprised me and my loved ones. It certainly brought about the much needed warm and pleasant feelings in me and helped to lift my low plateau spirits and raise my confidence since 434 days ago when he stopped contacting me and could not be reached.

Flipping through the Sunday Times, a quote caught my eyes. “Give me a child until he is 7 and I will give you the man.” so said Francis Xavier, a 16th Century missionary who spread Roman Catholicism into Asia. What he meant was the first seven years of life was when a person’s character was formed. Myungsoo was definitely a man of exemplary character with kind and caring dispositions which made me think that he was an extinct species on Earth. Yet he had ignored my intense feelings for him as he definitely knew how important he was to me. The quote struck me that how little I knew about his childhood. He had never shared his childhood memories. “Do I really know him, a close friend of 3 solid years?” I started to wonder and had a burning curiosity to probe deeply into his childhood life …