Reds and Golds

Photograph

                                   As a man of 15 years of photography, I’ve never seen something so beautiful. In my library I stand over my large desk that had a sea of pictures, but only a few actually stood out. The pictures that made me fall in love with this masterpiece.

 I was in France taking pictures for a magazine. It was the perfect scenery. The air was a nice warm breeze, making rolling waves of the dark green medium tall grass and flowers of all different colors were in full bloom. The locals and tourists mixed together on the big garden having picnics at the bottom of a hill that lead the old yet elegant castle and dilapidated ruins. All day I was looking for the perfect shot. As great the area was, it just didn’t fit with me. When the sun was setting, I went to the side of the castle to see if there was any place I missed. A small black limo pulled up keeping its distance away from the crowd of people who were leaving. I hid behind a tree of the forest area that lined the cobble stoned hill. The chauffer got out the car going around to open the back door. The bottom of a red rococo dress came out, then the person fully stepped out and it was like the heavens sang. This person was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. Her golden curly hair cascaded over her shoulders and to the middle of her back. I could see her gentle smooth chocolate brown eyes from where I was standing. She turned to her chauffer and said something. I thought I would hear a sweet high voice but instead it was deep. Yes it seemed calm and gentle, like I want, but it wasn’t expected there was no doubt that she was actually a he. The chauffer got back in the car and drove away. The beautiful man looked at the castle and sighed, as if to finally coming to a safe haven after a long time in hell, then he started climbing the hill. It wasn’t too steep but the dress should’ve made it difficult with how heavy it looked. The dress didn’t seem to slow him down, he walked with confidence and long strides. I took a picture. It was outstanding. The red orange tent from the setting sun’s rays went well with his red dress and making his hair shine like gold. The trees and grass on the other side of the hill was darker than they were earlier, completing the environment, I waited till he was a good distance before I began to follow him.

When we got to the top, he went down a pair of stairs that lead into the ruins. I got down there myself and it was like an underground labyrinth. The sun had finally went down moments before and then the moon and stars shined bright in the night sky. The moon’s light creped through holes from the partly broken ceiling making the paths lighter than normal. I looked down one path to see the man walking. I took another picture. His back was turned to me so I could see his golden curls bounced as he walked and his dress slugging behind. The walls had vines and moss covering them from growing over the years, producing red roses lined up in a random order. There was a small incline to lead to what seemed like another opening. I stayed at the base of the incline, while he walked to the top. He faced to his right and the moon was shining brightest from the opening. He turned to look down my direction and held out his hand as if he was ushering me towards him. I was surprised that he knew I was there. I made sure to not to make a sound and stayed a good distance away. Since he was looking, I took a picture. The shine from the moon practically made his hair sparkle and fireflies flew around giving off a certain aura of serenity. He walked out the opening and I once again followed. In no time at all I got up the stairs. I thought since he knew I was there I could ask him a few questions. Surfacing from the ruins, it opened to another set of stairs leading into the castle. I saw him get to the top of the stairs then I started climbing. He turned back to see if I was still following, waited for a minute then started walking again.

Finally reaching the top, I looked around to see a patio filled with roses. Then a light came from inside, grabbing my attention, I walked into the double doors stepping inside. There was a huge ballroom. Everything shined so bright, the paintings and engraved angels on the walls and ceiling, the floor so polished that I could see my reflection. Looking up, the man was in the middle of the room. He smiled then twirled, spinning like he was dancing. I captured a picture. The way his hair and dress flowed along with his movements. His reflection copied his exact moves like he was dancing on top of a golden pond of water. He suddenly stopped and walked through a pair of doors into halls filled with pillars. I instinctively followed. These hallways were just as bright as the ballroom, everything was a sparkling gold tent. I heard a laugh echo, it was most likely his laugh. Out the corner of my eye, I caught sight of red. Darting my attention to my right, it turned out to be him hiding behind one of the thick pillars. I took a step forward and he took a step back. I put my hands up to show that I didn’t have any intention on hurting him then took another step forward but he took a step back. He laughed again then ran away, his heels clicking against the floor and the sound of this dress swishing behind him. I ran after him, my own shoes making their own squeaked sound on the floor, looking all around to see where he went. Time after time, I could see a hint of red or a curl or two go turn a corner. The clicking of his heels vibrated off the walls making it harder for me to tell exactly where he was. After a while I leaned up against a pillar. How can he have enough energy to run in the big dress? I heard the clicking stop on my left. He was looking at me with joy filled in his eyes. Great, he made me play a game of hide and seek then laughs at me. I took a picture again anyways. This was the first picture I got of him smiling. Somehow it made the place glow even brighter. I advanced toward him again and this time he didn’t move. I stopped three feet away from him, he was just an inch shorter than me. I was going to ask him for his name but he moved away again. He walked to a set of doors at the end of the hallway. I was going to follow him but he shook his head. Then I finally asked him what I’ve been wondering all this time. “What is your name?” I asked in a low hushed tone. With how far he was away from me I didn’t think he heard me.

“Hizaki.” He said in his sweet gentle voice. It seemed like it has been an eternity since I last heard that voice. In an instant I felt that my life was a whole from just him saying something. All that cracked when he disappeared behind the door. I ran to the door and had grabbed the handle trying to open it. I tried and tried and tried to open it with such force but the door wouldn’t move, that’s when my whole world crashed. What if I can never see him again, hear that voice again? No I won’t give up hope of ever seeing him again. I’ll never stop following. Just like this very night, I’ll never stop following Hizaki.