ii

Chasing Summer: Autumn

 

   It was eleven in the morning when Myungsoo woke up. He looked to his side, only to realize that Daehyun was already away. He slowly sat up straight before stretching his arms and letting out a yawn. He crunched his neck and looked outside the window. The golden rays of the sun leaked through the glass panes, showing tiny specks of dust floating about. Before, his room was usually dark whenever he woke up, no matter what time of the day it was. When Daehyun started to spend more days in Myungsoo’s gloomy apartment, however, everything seemed to brighten up. The windows would be wide open, and a new kind of warmth would fill the empty spaces—that included his heart.

   After washing up, Myungsoo headed downstairs. The smell of scrambled eggs and hot chocolate filled his senses. Daehyun was in the living room, writing something on a handmade card.

   “You’re up early,” the older one said. “Are you not tired?”

   Daehyun looked up from what he was doing, and grinned. “I’m not tired at all, hyung. Good morning, Sunshine!”

   Myungsoo chuckled. He approached his younger brother, and tousled his hair fondly. “Good morning, Summer.”

   “I was waiting for you to get up,” Daehyun carried on. “Let’s eat breakfast together, hyung.”

   The two entered the kitchen, and like always, it was spotless. The pan and other utensils Daehyun used were already washed and left to dry. The table was already set.

   “You prepared all of this?” Myungsoo asked.

   “Yes,” the younger one answered with a smile on his face. “I’m usually left alone with a helper at home, so she taught me to fry eggs and cook rice.”

   “Daehyun-ah.”

   “What is it, hyung?”

   Myungsoo stared at his younger brother, and smiled. “I appreciate you for doing this, but next time, let’s try doing it together, hm?”

   With a chortle Daehyun  ran to where Myungsoo was, and he hugged him tightly.

   They were already done with eating breakfast when Myungsoo asked Daehyun about the card on the desk.

   “It’s for Sunshine noona,” he said. “I decided I’d write her a birthday card.”

   “I see,” he replied.

   “What about you, hyung? Have you decided on a gift to give her?”

   Myungsoo automatically thought of the pink and black friendship band he bought for her the day he visited his mother’s grave, and how dull it looked like against Sunggyu’s present, which was an expensive hairclip. He knew what it was, considering that he took a peek by the time they arrived home. Sunggyu gave the paper bag to Myungsoo at the airport, while the others were still oblivious.

   “Please give this to Suzy later on,” he said. “I’m entrusting this to you, all right? She’ll know what to with it.”

   Myungsoo sighed before looking at Daehyun. “I’m not sure if she’ll like it, though.”

   “She will,” he reassured him. “Because it came from you.”

<:>

   Suzy woke up because of the noises coming from downstairs. She heard the clanging of different utensils along with the voice of her mother, talking with other females. She recognized one of the voices, and figured that some of her relatives already arrived.

   She groaned, and d for her phone. She narrowed her eyes to focus on the screen. The light seemed to blind her momentarily. Waking up from her daze, she looked at the time. It was already 1:30 in the afternoon. Suzy stirred, tempted to sleep the day away, even if it was her birthday. Sighing, she decided to get up and help the others downstairs, instead. She did it not because she wanted to, but because she disliked it whenever people would talk about the children of others. That kind of situation was very evident in family reunions. Suzy sat up straight, and sighed deeply. She took her time collecting her clothes and going to the bathroom to get ready. Sunggyu’s things were still on the white rack, she noticed, and she could only stare.

   Suzy stepped into the shower, and she took her time washing herself. The water splattering against the tiles was crisp against her ears. Soon enough, the room became misty. By the time she was done drying and changing, she looked at the rack again, focusing on the bottle of perfume Sunggyu left. Only a third of it was gone. She picked it up, pulled the cap off, and sprayed some on herself.

<:>

   “Suzy-yah, you’re finally awake!” one of her aunts exclaimed. They were all in the kitchen, preparing the meals. Suzy bowed, and choked out a smile.

   “Is there anything I can help you with?”

   “Well, since we did almost everything while you were asleep…”

   Suzy clenched her fists as her other aunts chuckled. Being with them for years, she knew what they were trying to tell her. She looked around, and figured that her mother wasn’t around.

   “It’s your birthday, but I heard from your mother that Sunggyu went overseas just several hours ago,” one of them carried on, while chopping the onions.

   “That’s quite inconsiderate of him, I must say,” another chimed in with a profound tsk at the end. “Going away on the day of her younger sister’s birthday! Couldn’t he at least stay?”

   “Eun Ae, you do know Sunggyu’s circumstances.”

   “Oh, that’s right. He’s adopted. Of course he wouldn’t feel that kind of attachment…”

   Her whole body began to tremble, and she felt that her heart was about to burst out of anger. Her surroundings began to dissolve around her. She could feel the tears threatening to emerge from her eyes.

   What do they know, anyway? She found herself thinking.

   From when she was young she knew that some of her relatives didn’t agree on Sunggyu’s adoption. They were against it up to the point that even their children ignored Sunggyu at the beginning. Nevertheless, he won them over with his charisma and kindness.

   Suzy looked to the other direction to chase the bad thoughts away, and her eyes widened when she suddenly felt someone squeeze her right shoulder.

   “Noona,” Sang Moon said. “Dad and I need more help outside. We’re preparing barbecue.”

   “S-Sure…” she stuttered.

   The siblings excused themselves and bowed afterwards. They walked through their living room, which was occupied by their younger cousins who were busy playing to even notice them. By the time Suzy stepped out of the house, her heart became lighter.

   “What did they say to you now?” Sang Moon asked in a hushed tone.

   Suzy smirked. “The same old things.”

   “Dad told me to check if you’re already awake, so I went. I really dislike the adults in our family sometimes.”

   “We don’t have the final say when it comes to choosing our family, Sang Moon,” she reminded him. “Sunggyu said so before, do you remember?”

   “Of course I do,” he answered, frowning a little.

   Mr. Bae called the siblings over, signaling them to hurry up. He was at the very back of the yard, with the grill in front of him together with a table which contained several trays of marinated meat. He handed the tongs to Suzy before stepping aside.

   “I’m really sorry to leave the two of you like this, but I have to pick some people up.”

   “You’re all right, Dad,” Sang Moon said, grinning. “Noona and I can manage.”

   “He’s right,” she replied.

   Mr. Bae smiled. He patted his son’s shoulders. “Look after your noona while I’m gone, hm?”

   “Yes, sir,” he said, while giving his father a two- salute.

   “I should prepare now. I’ll check up on you guys later.”

   “Yes,” the siblings chorused.

   “And take care.”

   They knew exactly what Mr. Bae had meant, and so they nodded. Suzy and Sang Moon proceeded to focus on the barbecue. She controlled the fire, while he made sure that the meat was cooked well.

   “If I were our parents I wouldn’t even think of inviting those people,” Sang Moon muttered, audible enough for Suzy to hear. “After all that they did to them…”

   “Mom and Dad said it themselves: it’s all in the past,” Suzy replied. “We just have to grin and bear it.”

   “It’s not fair to bail their bitterness on you, though,” he pointed out. “I knew what they were trying to do to you earlier. I heard it all.”

   Suzy smiled a little. “Before, it was Sunggyu oppa who would do the rescuing.”

   “Well, he isn’t here so I have to do that tedious task,” Sang Moon returned with a pout.

   She scoffed before playfully hitting his forehead. “You little…”

   “But noona,” he suddenly said, his face turning serious.

   “What is it?”

   “You smell like hyung.”

<:>

   Myungsoo and Daehyun were already outside of the apartment, waiting for Mr. Bae to arrive. He had received a call earlier, with Mr. Bae saying that he would arrive after ten minutes.

   “I wonder what Sunshine noona’s house looks like,” Daehyun began, while holding Myungsoo’s hand and swinging it from time to time.

   “I’m wondering the same thing as you,” Myungsoo said. He looked at his younger brother, and smiled a little. “You didn’t forget anything?”

   The young boy shook his head no. “I have everything, hyung.”

   Soon enough, Mr. Bae pulled over. Myungsoo led Daehyun into to the backseat and he buckled his seatbelt for him. Daehyun thanked his brother with a warm smile, and Myungsoo tousled his hair in return. He closed the door, and proceeded to go to the passenger’s seat.

   “Did you wait long?” Mr. Bae pleasantly asked.

   “Not at all, Mr.—”

   “Uncle,” Mr. Bae cut in.

   Myungsoo bit his lower lip, before saying, “Not at all, Uncle.”

   He flashed him a warm smile. “That’s good, then.”

   Mr. Bae reversed the car, and not long after, they started to head out into the main road. The music playing was an acoustic song—it was the one he used to sing to Suzy several months ago.

   Chuckling, Mr. Bae remarked, “That’s Suzy’s CD. She likes music in that genre. Usually she would have this particular song playing in repeat.”

   “I see,” Myungsoo replied, trying to act less interested than he actually was.

   “Sang Moon, my youngest son—he likes these fast-paced songs where you could barely understand the singer. What’s that called again?”

   “Rap?” he suggested.

   “Ah, it is!” the other exclaimed. “And as for Sunggyu, he likes songs which constantly remind me of raindrops sliding down the windowpane. It isn’t the sad kind, though.”

   Mr. Bae glanced at the rearview mirror. “That just sounded poetic, huh?”

   Myungsoo smiled. “I understand what you’re trying to say, Mr.—Uncle. The songs in the car the last time reminded me of rain, too.”

   The older one sighed. “It’s strange how all three of them are my children, and yet they have different interests and preferences.”

   Upon hearing this, Myungsoo couldn’t help but glance at Daehyun, who was happily admiring the scenery outside.

   “Myungsoo-yah,” Mr. Bae began.

   “What is it, Uncle?”

   He smiled. “Do you believe that in order for a person to be a part of your family, you have to be blood-related?”

   The younger man looked at the rearview mirror and focused on Daehyun. He blinked once, and remembered the people from the subway station. Suzy and Sunggyu crossed his mind, as well. He looked down to stare at his hands, which were resting on his lap.

   “No,” he finally answered.

   Mr. Bae let out a sigh of relief. “That’s uplifting.”

   Myungsoo didn’t reply. He simply waited for the other to elaborate further.

   “We don’t roll the dice when it comes to choosing the people we should live with,” Mr. Bae began. “In a family, different personalities are present. Why do you think so, Myungsoo? To make each of their lives more difficult because one is impossible to put up with? Or is it to emphasize that one person is better than the other?

   “I believe it’s neither of the two. One person’s weakness is another person’s strength. Once a family realizes which is which, they would be able to function in perfect unity. They would be able to adjust in order to meet each other’s needs.”

   Myungsoo smiled as he remembered how Daehyun’s innocent gestures gave him hope. Then and there, he wondered if he had the same effect on his younger brother. Was he a good influence? Was he doing well in his responsibility as Daehyun’s older brother? Thoughts like that flooded his mind.

   “Myungsoo-yah,” Mr. Bae said. “How do you define a family?”

   There was a long pause. Another acoustic song filled the vehicle. Myungsoo looked ahead, and all he could see was the long stretch of the main road, with the golden leaves paving the way. The autumn sky was the perfect shade of blue, then.

   “A family…” he began. He closed his eyes for a moment, and exhaled before carrying on. “A family offers warmth when all the world could give you is coldness.”

   Mr. Bae stopped in front of a red light. He smiled, and remarked, “Well said.”


 

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."
- Ephesians 4:2