The Beginning

Unconventional

        My name is Bang Sun Mi, 26, single and still doing odd jobs. I live alone in a small roof-top apartment in Seoul, more like a box if you ask me. My apartment has a small kitchen, a bath room, a single bed, a floor-to-ceiling book shelf, a square side table, a small rectangular dinning/work table, three chairs, lots of windows and that’s pretty much it. I’m not good at organizing and decorating. I’ve been living here for two years now but my place still looks empty. In my two years of stay here, I managed to fill my bookcase which means I need a new one; I bought seven large pillows, and a new television. I don’t need a lot of stuff, the apartment had already a fridge and a gas stove so I’m good. What I really loved about this place was the view. My door faces the east and I have a wide porch where I put a daybed. Of course, being near the market is an additional perk too.

        I’m sure you’re wondering how come I don’t have a stable job. Well, I don’t stay long on one job it if becomes boring and I love trying new things. I have a degree in Biology; I guess my parents’ anger is acceptable because I just wasted college according to them. But hey! I’m happy and independent, I get by just fine (the rent is cheap) and I’m living a modest lifestyle.

       It’s a Monday. The time is already 6:30 am and getting up is not really fun. I took a quick shower, ate breakfast (which is a mixture of whatever was in the fridge), brushed my teeth, got dressed and started to head out when I almost forgot to bring my resignation letter. I’m quitting my job at the boutique and will start at the bakeshop.  The boutique was no more fun. Smiling and standing all day is not fun but meeting new people is fun. I had to quit my job because it was becoming repetitive and I’m not learning anything new here so it’s time to pack up. So I have three jobs right now. I work at the tutorial center as an English tutor, I work at the flower shop near the meat shop as a cashier and I will start working at the new bakeshop today.

        Arriving at the boutique at 8:00 am, I walked straight to the office and handed Dae Man, the manager, my resignation letter. “Dae Man sir, I’m quitting effective today!” I said cheerfully. Dae Man read the letter and was about to say something when I interrupted him, “Dae Man-ah, I’m quitting. I already have a job at the bakeshop down the road. I will need my severance fee though because I need to my rent next week.” I flashed him a big smile and started to head out before he can say anything. I saw him smiled. “You really are an angel Dae Man-ah. Oh! Come visit me at the bakeshop sometime, I’ll give you a discount.” I added before getting out. I bid my former colleagues goodbye and headed to the bakeshop.

         It’s already 8:30 am when I reached the bakeshop. I hurriedly entered and greeted everyone. I then came into the office to greet my new boss. He was sitting behind his desk. We’ve already met before during the hiring process but he sure looked at me as if he just met me with one brow rising. “Good morning Sir! My name is Bang Sun Mi and I am the new waiter.” I bowed and greeted my boss enthusiastically. When I finally raised my head he just looked at me then looked down on the piece of paper he was reading and said, “No need to shout so early in the morning. Go see Eun Kyung and she will tell you what to do”. I smiled and nodded, “Yes, Sir. I already meet with Miss Eun Kyung yesterday for the orientation…” I wasn’t able to finish my sentence because he looked at me as if I was annoying him. I excused myself and went out of the office. I went to the staff quarters where Eun Kyung, our manager, was. We greeted each other and she told me the things I should do and remember from the staff orientation yesterday. “What was the name of the boss? I’m sorry I forgot”, I asked Eun Kyung as I changed into the uniform. “Seung Ho, Yang Seung Ho. You should never forget that.”  Eun Kyung said then she went out to do her work.

        “Yang Seung Ho? He sure is cranky. Better not cross him again.” I said to myself. I grabbed my apron then went out of the room to start working.