In the beginning: we all start as strangers.

Cold Tingles

 

“Why are you running from me?!”

His voice was out of breath and husky, echoing off the school halls that were packed with people trying to get out of the way. His heavy thudding steps alarmed bystanders that looked on in curious judgement, but he paid them no mind, ignoring them in his chase. Even though it was late noon, after classes had just finish and students were quickly packing their belongings to either go to cram school or part-time jobs, Ilhoon had it in his mind to set things straight.

“Yah! Jihae!” he yelled again. “Answer my question!”

Afraid to turn my head, I screamed just as loudly into the distance. “I’m running because you’re chasing me, Pabo!” Turning a corner, I swivelled on my heels, heading down the stairs and out onto the sports fields and the main gates. I still hadn’t even packed my bag yet when I saw him charging straight at me, yelling my name. I was just putting my books away when I saw his characteristic light brown hair pop out in my periphery; gripping tight the book in my hand and dropping the bag on my desk. It was just instinct to pick up my feet and bolt in the opposite direction. What else would a person in my situation do than run?

“You’re the pabo! The only reason I’m chasing you is because you’re running!”

“Well I’ll stop running if you stop chasing!”

“I’ll stop chasing when you stop running!”

This argument was never going to end unless one of you gave up but having known him since primary school, we were both equally stubborn and neither would relent. Unfortunately, my sense of direction, or lack thereof, made the ending easier: I had run around the sports fields to the back of the school, hoping that the back entrance was open, only to face locked metal, an adjacent wall and some bushes. Great going, Jihae. You can go all Spiderman now and crawl up a wall or something.

Pressed up against the wall, I watched intensely his every move – his slow saunter towards me, backing me further and further into the brick. His breath was heavy and stare heavy-lidded, not like the usual light-hearted gaze he wore in classes.

“Don’t come any closer.” My voice cracked at the last word and I slapped myself mentally for seeming like a pubescent boy – the sound wavering into the surrounds. Naturally, he didn’t comply, stepping closer and closer till he was within arm’s reach.

“What do you want?” I breathed, murmured it out into the chilly air. It was nearing the end of October and some leaves were already beginning to turn to bronze sunsets. I asked him the question hoping the words would bridge me from him for a moment or two but I knew the answer anyway.

We hadn’t been on good terms since the beginning of school. I don’t know what happened but we weren’t really close at all till the summer holidays when we’d practically spend every day together after my friend started dating his. We took the train to the beach for a day and had picnics for another but just before school started we had a massive fight.  

Because our friends were a couple, we didn’t want to be there to spoil the mood so would often invite ourselves out without them around. It was late at night and Ilhoon called me, asking if I was doing anything which I’d said no. He then told me to meet him at the nearby park and to bring snacks. So, after raiding my junk food stash, I had my plastic bag of goodies in hand, walking merrily to the park, happy at the prospects of seeing Ilhoon again.

I never knew why but ever since meeting him, I’ve enjoyed his company. I like the way he talks, that he has something to say. I like how he nods his head to show that he’s listening or just looks down, blankly when he’s not. He really was becoming a good friend until that night.

I found him sitting under a lamp-post on a bench. Even though it was past many people’s bedtimes, there were still some couples roaming around and some forever-aloners as well as the elderly who shared the space. But when I found him, he wasn’t awake. With his arms crossed over his chest and head lolling slightly that his chin touched his neck, Ilhoon slept soundly, casually.

I scoffed, laughed a little at how he could fall asleep like this and prodded around him for a while, brushing his bangs out of his eyes. I couldn’t bear to wake him up and didn’t mind the silence so sat down next to him, giggling a little to myself. It was then though, that I realised he was cold. He kept squeezing his arms, frowning as he ducked his head closer to his chest. I admit, it was pretty cool that night, enough that you probably had to wear long sleeves to bed but not overly cold. Plus, he was just wearing a t-shirt and a loose pair of jeans, so I took the liberty of getting up and taking off my light jacket to drape over him.

However, as I did so, his eyes shot open.  Flinching, he said the words darkly under his breath, “what are you doing?”

“Just making sure you don’t get a cold.” I defended. And that’s when the fight happened. Over something stupid. I was yelling at him for being an inconsiderate jerk, offended that he thought my touch disgusted him. He was yelling at me for thinking that he wasn’t man enough to handle the cold, for being so sensitive over something so small and for being upset. We didn’t talk after that. It really was something stupid blown way out of proportion.

I was pulled out of my trance, thinking about the past when he pressed a firm hand into the wall behind, leaning in closer than usual.

“Eunna told me about you.” He said, focused with a fierce look of determination on his face.

“What? Eunna?” She was the whole reason we started being friends but I didn’t know what she had said. Why would she say anything anyway…?

“She said you’d be willing to help me.”

“Help you with what?!”

“My skinship sensitivity!”

We were both full on yelling at each other now and I was glad he kept his distance, even if it was minimal. But my mind was racing at what he was saying; since when did I volunteer myself to help him?

“I never said that-” I began but he cut me off. And though I would’ve been irritated at having been cut short, his words were more important than mine.

“And I just want to say I’m sorry. About last time. I didn’t mean to fight with you like that. It was childish and immature but this thing, where I get tingles down my spine when people invade my space and get too close- it just creeps me out.” He sighed and I could feel his breath on my cheeks. I raised an eyebrow.

“Then what are you doing now?” My voice was quiet but steady and for a second he looked down, looked at me and blushed, pulling away.

“See, that’s why it’s gotta be ‘you’ to help me. I guess do get close after their first fight.” He chuckled sheepishly but I didn’t see the humour behind it.

Maybe it was the apology that softened me up a little but reluctantly, I agreed – also on the condition that he’d do anything I say. I guess it was because I hadn’t talked to him in ages too that I was quick to forgive. You can’t really resist him, not when he’s like this. But that feeling was short-lived because he blurted out something that sent shivers down my spine. The bad, ominous kind.

“Yeah, if I can’t get used to skinship, than how am I ever going to get a girlfriend.”

Immediately, my heart dropped. Was he just using me to get over his fear so that he can get girls? I didn’t want to let that affect me but scowled. Why did I care anyway? No one would ever fall for this klutz of a boy – nothing that I had to worry about.

“Alright. Lessons start tomorrow. Now quit bothering me and go home.” I pushed him to the side to walk back in the direction my abandoned belongings.

“Wait! It can start today! Right now!” There was genuine enthusiasm behind his voice and I turned around to look at him oddly.

“I’ll walk you home,” he offered and with no energy left to be bothered to decline, I accepted his offer with a shrug and a roll of my eyes as he trailed behind like an endearing puppy.

He seemed excited enough.

At least that made one of us.

 

 

 

~

A/N: Hey guiiiise~ I've decided last minute that this will be a drabble series. So each chapter won't be too long. Hope you enjoyed! Until next timeeeee~ <3    :D

Who loves ILHOON?!       I DO!!!!!!!