Final

Cigarettes, Coffee and Strawberries

 

The smell of a burning cigarette drifts into the café as Taemin sat in his usual spot. Outside, there was a slight drizzle, giving the world a hazy feel as if no one was awake yet. The sunlight was a shade of grayish blue, the rays being filtered by the clouds. Only two other people filled the café as a waiter came over with his usual cup of coffee and eight sugar cubes. “Good morning sir, what can I get you to eat this morning?”

“A toasted biscuit with strawberry jam and make sure it’s only on one side.” He muttered before slipping into his coat pocket to take out a book and his pack of cigarettes. Taemin meticulously opened the pack of cigarettes and counted how many he had already smoked. He only smoked eight cigarettes a day. He only puts eight sugar cubes in his coffee a day. Taemin’s world revolved around the number eight for some odd reason. Even now, it was his eighth time reading Romeo and Juliet. He sighed and flipped the book open to where he had left off from the previous morning.

“Here you go sir. Jam on one side, as you requested.” The sound of the ceramic plates clanked against the wooden table, as the waiter set it down. Taemin nodded a thank you, and skimmed the lines in his book. He paused from his reading and took a bite out of his biscuit, eyes rolling back as the strawberry jam enveloped his taste buds.

“Careful there Taemin,” A deep voice projected from in front of him. “You might burn the book you’re holding with your cigarette.” Taemin opened his eyes and stared at the man in front of him.

“Excuse me, but do I know you?” He muttered, while self consciously brushing off any crumbs that might have stuck onto his face. “And how do you know my name?”

“The waiter told me.” He simply stated and gave Taemin a small smile. “I don’t want to sound creepy or anything, but I’ve been watching you for a couple of days now. I’ve noticed you continue to read the same book and get the same thing to eat and drink every morning.”

“Yeah, so?”

“So… can I eat the other half of your biscuit? You always eat the one with the strawberry jam on it and leave this one alone. You always waste food.” He chuckled loudly and reached over to grab it. Taemin blankly stared at him as he watched his biscuit be consumed by this stranger in front of him. “Delicious. So, what is so special about the book?” He leaned over and tried to read it. Taemin abruptly snapped closed his book and took a drag of his cigarette.

“You’re really loud and annoying.” He said and started to pack up his things, earlier than usual. Taemin stood up and was about to leave before his wrist was caught.

“W-wait, stay.”

“Why should I? You’re too nosy and talkative. I don’t even know your name and yet you know mine.”

The guy forcefully pulled Taemin back down, and he landed on the seat with a loud thud. “My name is Minho and I love the smell of coffee, cigarettes and strawberry jam.”

---------

“I just find it humorous that Romeo and Juliet were star-crossed lovers. Love doesn’t do anyone good, and something bad always ends up happening.” Taemin said and took a sip of his now lukewarm coffee. Minho shifted in his seat and frowned.

“So you don’t believe in love at first sight either?”

“No. I don’t believe in love at all.”

Minho bit his bottom lip and glanced at his watch, he was now late for work. “Aish, I’m late.” He muttered before getting up.

“Yah, where are you going?” Taemin’s eyes widened and his voice was louder than usual.

“Work, unlike you, I have places to be.”

“Stay.” He hesitantly said and looked away in embarrassment.

“What?” Minho paused and looked at Taemin, confused to why he was asked to stay.

“I-I still want to talk to you.”

--------

“You’re only 20?” Minho was surprised. The way Taemin talked and behaved differed from how a regular 20 year old would act. Taemin took the last sip of his coffee and smiled at Minho.

“Yes, I’m 20.”

Dark clouds blocked out the sun, and rain droplets started to fall heavily down to earth. Thunder pierced the calm atmosphere of the café, frightening Taemin. He flinched and scooted into the corner of the booth, afraid of thunder. “Are you okay?” Minho reached over and lightly patted Taemin’s trembling hands. “We should head out before it gets worse.” He said and slipped on his coat.

“Can you walk me home?”

“What?” Minho looked at Taemin who remained in the corner still.

“C-can you walk me home? I’m afraid of thunder…”

Being the older one, Minho nodded and said, “Yes, now hurry up and get your stuff.” Taemin quickly packed and slipped his hand into Minho’s as they opened the door to leave. Rain pelted them in the face as Taemin told Minho where to go. A car drove by and splashed water on Minho. “,” He muttered but continued to walk. Thunder broke the continuous cycle of the quiet rain and Taemin squeezed his hands harder. They finally arrived breathlessly at Taemin’s apartment, soaked from the rain.

“Stay. I’ll get you something warm to change in.” Taemin closed the apartment door and locked it. While Taemin was gone, Minho looked around the apartment and noticed that bookcases filled the room. Dozens upon dozens of books were shelved messily and some lay around the room. “Here.” Taemin carefully handed Minho the clothes and he immediately began to strip himself of his wet clothes. “Y-yah, there’s a bathroom right there.”

“Just close your eyes or look away.” He muttered as Taemin quickly skimmed his eyes over Minho’s cut body. A blush creeped onto his face and he finally tore his gaze off of Minho. Taemin couldn’t deny that Minho was attractive and was the motivation to why he had spent the whole day with him. “Okay done.” He looked over and saw how short the sweat pants were on him, and how the t-shirt snuggly fit him. Minho then sat on the couch and patted the empty seat next to him, inviting Taemin to snuggle with him.  

“Do you mind if I smoked?” Taemin asked before lighting up a cigarette. Minho shook his head and was soon immersed in the smell of a burning cigarette. He walked over and allowed Minho to drape his built arms around his bony shoulders. He nuzzled the top of Taemin’s head, his hair still damp from the rain.

“You smell good.”

“I smell like coffee and cigarettes.” He simply said before closing his eyes and loosing himself in Minho’s hold.

“I like that.”

--------

Taemin heard the soft snores of Minho and slipped away from his arms. He put out his cigarette and found a nearby blanket to tuck Minho in. “Sleep well, but wake up soon. I still want to talk to you.” Taemin muttered and brushed away a stray strand of hair from Minho’s forehead. He then entered the kitchen to brew up some coffee, just so that Minho could wake up to one of his favorite smells. Taemin then felt it. He felt the familiar urge to purge himself of the biscuit he had consumed earlier at the café. Not now. Not when Minho is here. I can’t show him this side of me. I-I can’t have him running away from me like every other guy before him. Taemin’s hands shook as he placed the grounded coffee into the machine. I can’t hold it back. Dropping the package, he ran to the bathroom and slammed the door shut. Sticking a finger down his throat, he threw up the small biscuit that was covered in strawberry jam and all of the coffee he drank earlier. There was three rapid knocks at the door. “Taemin, are you okay?” It was Minho. He must’ve woken up when I roughly closed the bathroom door. Taemin couldn’t answer as his stomach continued to lurch and he was throwing up his food.

 “Y-yes.” He finally answered, letting out a choked sob as his throat burned and eyes watered.

“Open the door.”

“N-no, you can’t see me like this.” Taemin curled into a small ball, and sobbed. “This is why people leave me.”

“I said open the door!” Minho banged on the door with his fist. “Open it or else I’m going to break it.” Without any hesitation he kicked open the door, nearly hitting Taemin. Minho looked down at his quivering body, sobs wrecking Taemin’s body as if he was being electrocuted.

“T-this is why I don’t believe in love. B-because every time someone likes me, they find out about this and leave me.”

Minho kneeled down and slowly pulled Taemin into his warm embrace. “I won’t leave you. I don’t want to leave you.” Kissing his forehead, he continued to softly speak to him. “Come on, let’s get you out of here.”

Taemin sat on the couch wrapped up in the blanket, waiting for Minho to come back from the kitchen. He carefully brought over a mug of steaming coffee for Taemin, and one for himself as well. “Exactly eight sugar cubes as you requested.”

They sat there, quietly talking about one another. Minho smiled to himself and noticed that Taemin was starting to doze off. He quickly finished up his coffee and walked over to snuggle with him. Taemin lay on his side with Minho’s arms wrapped once more, around his fragile body. He placed a light kiss on Taemin’s sharp cheekbones and held him tighter. For the first time that day, Taemin finally seemed like a regular 20 year old. Someone who had insecurities and flaws, someone whom Minho had fallen for. “So now do you believe in love at first sight?” He tenderly whispered into Taemin’s ears.

“Yes, yes I do.”