Taking chances

Can't let go

After saying goodbye to Tiffany, Jessica left the coffee shop and went to the supermarket to buy some groceries. She bought some vegetables, carefully avoided cucumbers, some kimchi, eggs and noodles, then headed to cashier to pay for her basket. She lined up, mindlessly looking around and wondering if she forgot anything she needed. 

"That's 20,750 won, please." A staff said to the first customer of the line next to hers. 

"Here you go. Thank you very much."

Jessica thought she recognised the voice. She turned and looked at its owner who was collecting her goods and was about to leave. Much to Jessica anticipation, it was indeed Yuri. The tanned girl of course didn't know that Jessica was there so she proceeded to the door. Jessica debated if she should call out for Yuri's attention. She had to decide quickly or else Yuri would be out of sight. She looked at her basket, aish I still have to check out, and sighed. Quite fortunately, the people ahead of her checked out quickly, so by the time the glass door closed behind Yuri, it was Jessica's turn to pay for her food. 

"That is 24,850 won, please." The staff said to her. Jessica swiftly collected her bags, paid the cashier and told them to keep the change as she dashed out the door. She expected that Yuri should be gone by then while looking around the area. Her heart jumped when she was proved her wrong. Yuri was still there. The tall girl just finished organising the bags in her trunk and was walking to the driver's seat. 

"Yuri-ah!" Jessica called, approaching the latter. 

Yuri turned around and saw who was calling her. Her eyes widened. "Oh, Jessica." 

"Hey." The blonde girl flashed a smile. She wasn't sure of what she should say to Yuri to avoid awkwardness. 

"Hey. Grocery shopping?" Yuri smiled back. 

"Ah, neh. You too?" 

"Yeah. I'm about to run out of Ma juice. Yoona said she needed some more rice, too, so..." 

"Oh, how is she doing?" 

"She's great. Thanks for asking." 

"That's good to hear." Jessica nodded. "And how about you? How have you been?"

"I've been... okay. You?" Yuri shrugged. 

"Yeah I've been alright..." Jessica bit her lip, feeling the awkwardness approaching them. 

Yuri rubbed her neck. She didn't know what to say. She didn't want to say anything either. "Um.. so yeah. It's nice to see you here, Jessica." She said and smiled a little, opening the door of her car. "I've got to go back and cook dinner. I'll see you some other time. Have a good evening."

"W-wait." Jessica took hold of the taller girl's sleeve. "I... Yuri-ah... Can we meet again?" 

"Well, I'm not sure if-" 

"Please, Yuri, don't avoid me." 

"Jessica, I'm not avoiding you... I-" 

"You are. Also please stop lying to me!" Jessica frowned and sighed. Yuri gulped and looked away. 

"I... I'm sorry Jessica." The taller girl huffed. "I never actually lied to you, you know."

Jessica rolled her eyes. "Oh yeah? RIght. Right. You never said a lying word, but you never told me what I should know of. Your silence has been so very misleading, Kwon Yuri." 

Yuri blinked a few times, pressed her lips together then looked straight into the other girl's eyes. "Excuse me, Jessica. I don't want to talk about this." She said and turned around, escaping her wrist from Jessica's grip and getting into her car.

"Wait, Yuri!" Jessica called to no avail as Yuri was already starting her car and driving it out onto the street. Her avoidance and ignorance really upset the blonde girl. "IDIOT! WHY MUST YOU BE SO SELFISH??!" She yelled, hoping her voice would break through the metal and reach the girl behind the wheel. Jessica watched the car until it was out of her sight then sighed again.

 

----------

 

"Wow, Yuri! What's the violence?" Yoona exclaimed. Yuri just sprang the door open and stormed into the living room. Yuri didn't reply. She simply placed the grocery bags on the counter and went straight into her room. She took off her jacket and threw it accoss . She felt like she was on fire. 

"SELFISH?" The girl laughed out the sarcasm. "Seriously, Jessica? You're calling me selfish now?" She talked to her self. Her eyes were going everywhere without a focus. She picked up a pillow and slammed it onto her bed. "If only you knew what I went through for you." She slammed the pillow again.. "Only if you ing knew!" She felt ridiculously unfair and released her anger with the pillow harder after each time. "Everything I did, I did it for you! And you call me selfish!!" Yuri lost it. She fell on her back, curling up on her bed and started crying. 

Yoona was downstairs, hearing all that happened her sister's room. She sighed. It wasn't at all an unfamiliar to her that something like that happens.

-----------

 

Jessica was home that night and she was greatly bothered by the event earlier. She couldn't understand why Yuri was acting that way. Yuri was indeed so selfish, Jessica clinged onto her opinion. Even if the girl gave up such a big thing as her heart in order for Jessica to be with Donghae, the one she liked, her actions now were all selfish. What Yuri was doing, after all, was just her trying to remove herself from the equation, avoiding the real issue arised, leaving Jessica frustrated and helpless. In the end, the one who is safe and secure is Yuri since she had no risk to take. How was she supposed to get any near Yuri and get to know her more if the girl avoided her and didn't want to talk to her?

She felt a pain in her chest. A pain that was so familiar it made her tear up. She knew that pain too well when she was with Donghae. She knew too well that it could be a sign of falling in love, because only when you love someone, that person is allowed to hurt you. 

The blonde girl made up her mind. She grabbed her jacket and went down the basement to get her car. It only took her twenty minutes to arrive at Yuri's door. Jessica stepped out and shivered a little in the chilly evening wind. She took a breath before ringing the doorbell. Yoona came out to greet her. 

"Hello... oh, it's you." 

"Y..yes it's me." Jessica gulped. "Is Yuri home? Can I talk to her?" 

"She's in her room. I don't think she wants to speak to you though, unnie." Yoona raised her brows. 

"Please let me see her? I have something very important to tell her." Jessica pleaded.

Yoona looked at Jessica and thought for a minute then said. "Okay. I'll go get her. I hope she gives you a chance. But remember, if you can't convince her that you deserve it, you must leave and not bother her again. Is that okay, unnie?" 

"Okay..." Jessica nodded.