I Don't Date Nice Guys

Charming [One-Shot Collection]

Chapter: I Don't Date Nice Guys

Pairing: Sestal, (slight) Myungstal

Word count: 2074

Summary: In which Krystal has this rule where she doesn't date nice guys.

Rated: 15 and above (contains cuss words and what some might consider mature content but I reckon as long as you're mature, it'll be alright)


 

It must've been Jongin who gave away her whereabouts. Jongin was a big-mouth -- honestly, she doesn't know why she still told the guy anything.

"What the are you doing here?" is the first thing that comes out of Krystal's mouth when she sees a smiling Sehun standing on the front porch of her beach house.

"I came to see you of course," Sehun replies nonchalantly. 

Krystal really wants to wipe that stupid smile off his face. "Get out."

"But-"

"I said get out and leave me the hell alone."

 

Krystal loves Malibu, and she epsecially liked coming here during summer, when she could spend the entire day sun tanning on the beach, or meeting cute guys at clubs during the night.

She felt so carefree whenever she was here -- she would be away from annoying parents, needy friends and unwanted drama.

But as Krystal lay on her bed in the beach house (her step father had bought the house for her as a birthday present for her eighteenth birthday this year), a million thoughts run through her mind -- and most of them centric around a certain brown-haired boy with a lisp.

Krystal sits up on her bed suddenly, peeling the covers off of herself. She is determined to not let Oh Sehun ruin her summer.

 

Krystal wakes up with a panging headache and she knows that she has a hangover. She glances to her side and sees the back of a man she does not remember bringing home last night. 

She tries to recall any form of memory from the previous night but the doorbell interrupts her train of thoughts. Groaning, Krystal gets out of bed, gets dressed and goes to get the door.

"Soojung-ah…"

Krystal comes close to slamming the door in his face -- but she refrains. What is he doing here again? "Sehun, I told you-"

But before she manages to finish her sentence, a pair of soft pink lips stop her.

It takes Krystal three whole seconds to realise what is happening, and when she finally does, she shoves him away from her.

"What the hell, Sehun?!"

Sehun doesn't reply, he only cups his beloved's face in his hands and leans in for another kiss.

This time, Krystal doesn't struggle. She's too tired to fight back Sehun and his impossible feelings for her, and so she lets him kiss her senseless on her doorstep.

 

"I hope you like coffee, because that's all I know how to make."

"You could be making me goat urine and I'd still like it because you're the one making it. Soojung, I l-"

"Shut up."

Sehun presses his lips together and doesn't continue what he was about to say just then -- he doesn't want to piss her off. 

Krystal comes out from the kitchen three minutes later carrying two mugs. She hands one to Sehun and sits as far away from him as her living room couch allowed her too.

But of course, Sehun scoots closer. "Do you have a hangover?" he asks.

Krystal nods. "How'd you know?"

"I kissed you and I could taste alcohol. You also smell kinda bad, no offence, but you're still as beautiful as-"

"Okay, I get it."

"Does your head hurt a lot?"

"It's nothing I can't handle."

"Should I run down to the pharmacy to get you something that'll help with your hangover?"

"I said I'm fine."

"My grandmother once thought me how to make this tonic that helps with hangovers -- it works like a charm. Maybe I could make it for you-"

"Sehun, I said stop it!" Krystal snaps all of a sudden. The unexpected volume of her voice frightens Sehun, and it manages to wake up the almost-forgotten man that she woke up next to this morning.

 

Krystal misses the flash of anger in Sehun's eyes when a devilishly handsome man walks out of her bedroom, dressed in nothing but a pair of black jeans and messy after- hair.

The man's eyebrows raise when he spots Sehun (who at the time was trying his very best not to strangle the man to death right there and then). 

"Who are you?" Sehun asks, not bothering to even sound the least bit amiable.

The man chuckles, as if amused by his question. "Shouldn't I be asking you that question?"

"The name's Sehun," comes the younger boy's careful reply.

"L."

Sehun scoffs. "L? What kind of name is that?"

But instead of getting mad, L simply shrugs.

 

Krystal lies in bed; she is physically exhausted but her mind just won't let her sleep. An image of the hurt look on Sehun's face when he left earlier that day flashes across her mind, and she turns over in her bed for the umpteenth time that night.

"Go to sleep Krystal," a groggy voice says.

"I can't."

She hears a low husky chuckle, followed by a "I didn't wear you out enough?"

 

Krystal wakes up next to L for the forth morning in a row that week. Over the past few days, they've been getting to know each other a whole lot better -- in more than one way, that is. Krystal found that L is the laid back sort of person without a single worry or care in the world, and she finds that immensely attractive. He is also a bad boy, in a sense, because he does what he wants and doesn't give a about what others think of him -- another quality of his which she also appreciates.

L's eyes flutter open and he smiles upon seeing Krystal staring at him. "Morning, beautiful," he greets her and pulls her body closer to his. They share a lazy morning kiss, and before things get the chance to heat up, Krystal pulls away. "I'll make breakfast."

 

Krystal appears detached when she runs into Sehun at the local bakery. Sehun has this tendency to show up wherever she goes, and she learnt not be surprised a long time ago.

As usual, he greets her with that shy smile of his that she finds absolutely adorable. "Fancy running into you here, Soojung," he says as if it is merely a coincidence.

"I came to get some bread," Krystal replies as she scans through the racks of different types of bread. She smiles when she spots the white bread and she goes on her tiptoes, ready to reach for it as it was on the top rack. But Sehun beats her to it.

"I thought you don't eat white bread," he says as he hands the bread to Krystal.

"I don't. This is for L. He says he hasn't tried fairy bread before so I thought I'd make him some, and fairy bread only tastes nice when it's white bread."

Not unexpectedly, Sehun's lips curve downwards into a frown at the mention of L, but it only lasts for a millisecond as he replaces it with a tight smile. "Do you really like him?" he asks before he is able to stop himself, "L, I mean."

"He's good-looking, witty and funny. What's not to like? Plus, he's amazing in bed."

Krystal knows that the last part might have been overkill, but she does it intentionally -- the more she hurts him, the faster he'll be able to get over his feelings for her.

Sehun doesn't bother masking the fact that he is upset this time. The frown on his face is so deep that Krystal thinks if he were to frown any deeper, his lip muscles would just snap (if that were possible). 

And before he is able to say anything, Krystal walks away, leaving him to sort out his own thoughts.

 

It's been over three weeks since Krystal first arrived in Malibu for her summer vacation. She hasn't run into Sehun since their encounter at the bakery. She thinks that perhaps he has given up on her and returned to Seoul.

"You seem really distracted these past few days, what's wrong?" L's voice snaps her out of her thoughts.

"It's nothing."

"Does it have to do with the guy that showed up at your house that first morning we were together?" 

"No."

"Is he your boyfriend?" L manages to ask the question without a hint of jealousy or sadness. Even after two weeks of sleeping together, the two have not developed any romantic feelings for each other whatsoever. They had great ual chemistry, and that was it.

Krystal lets out a laugh, as if the idea of Sehun being her boyfriend is something totally ridiculous and unimaginable. "Sehun is only a friend," she states.

L seems amused by her reply. "But do you want to be more than friends?"

"No," the girl replies without a moment's hesitation.

"Why not? He seems nice enough."

"I don't date nice guys."

"Family issues?"

"My parents are divorced. Mom cheated on dad. He was the nicest guy on Earth."

 

Almost a month has passed since Krystal came to Malibu, and in a few days' time, she'll be on a plane, flying back to Seoul where she will spend the rest of her summer holidays with her pathetic excuse of a mother, her annoyingly saccharine step father and Jessica. Her elder sister is the only person in her family that Krystal doesn't hate, but too bad Jessica is hardly ever around anymore.

L flew back to South Korea two days ago. Krystal had found out that like her, he was also from Seoul and had come to Malibu on vacation. The two decided to remain friends and keep in touch -- maybe even meet up some time since they lived in the same city.

It was raining on the day Krystal saw him for the first time since their encounter at the bakery. She had just gone to get her hair permed at a nearby salon and when she walks out, she sees the familiar brown-haired boy pacing outside the salon. He has an umbrella and appears to be waiting for someone.

"Are you back to stalking me?"

Sehun turns to face her upon hearing her voice, a small smile is etched on his handsome face. "Soojung..." he calls out. His voice is soft but affectionate.

"Please tell me it's only a coincidence that you're here too."

"I have crappy luck, so I'd never be able to run into you by chance."

Krystal rolls her eyes at him. "Right..."

There was a lull when neither of them said a word, but Sehun breaks the silence. "I like your new hair," he says, "it looks good on you."

"Thanks," Krystal mutters awkwardly. She looks everywhere else but at him. 

Another moment of silence envelops them.

"Um, I should get going," Krystal announces before her legs start carrying her away from the salon (and away from Sehun).

"Wait," (she stops in her tracks but doesn't turn back to look at him) "It's raining and you don't have an umbrella."

No , Sherlock. "My house isn't that far away, I'll make it if I run."

"But it's pouring; you'll catch a cold."

"You technically can't catch a cold from the rain."

Sehun ignores her remark -- he hates it when she's being stubborn. He opens up the umbrella he had brought with him, grabs Krystal's hand and makes her walk with him.

 

Sehun brings her back to her house as promised, and as an act of courtesy, she invites him into her home to wait out the rain.

"It doesn't look like the rain is going to stop anytime soon," Krystal muses as she stares out the window.

The rain hasn't gotten any lighter in the past hour; in fact, it had only gotten heavier.

"Soojung," Sehun calls out and Krystal's whole body stiffens. She had come to realise by now that whenever he calls her by her real name like that, something sentimental is bound to follow.

"Hmm?" She tries to sound as detached as possible.

And then she hears him say those three sacred words for the first time; "I love you."

Krystal feels something wet hit the back of her palm and she realises that a tear had slipped from her eye. "You don't mean that." It sounds as though she is trying to convince herself that more than she is trying to convince him.

"Oh, but I do, Soojung! I mean it with all my heart when I say that I'm in love with you."

Krystal shakes her head furiously as she fights back the tears that have started to well up in her eyes. "You've confused your feelings for love. Stop spouting nonsense, Sehun."

She hears Sehun sigh and the next thing she knows, he is kneeling in front of where she sits on the living room couch. He takes one her hands from her lap and it while the thumb of his other hand becomes occupied with wiping away her falling tears.

"I admit that at first, I thought that my feelings for you were just that of a meaningless crush," he confesses, "You were Jongin's best friend and whenever he brought up that he was going to hang out with you, I would beg him to let me come along. I had thought that once I saw enough of you, I would just get sick of you and my feelings would eventually go away. But as time passed, my feelings for you didn't go away, in fact, they only grew stronger. And there came a point when all I would think about is you; whenever I saw someone frowning, the first thing that came to mind was how you would scowl every time I called you Soojung instead of Krystal; whenever I saw someone with a mole, all I can think about is that beautiful mole above your lips. I'm going crazy because of you, Jung Soojung. I love you."

Krystal looks away as more tears start to stream down her face. "You know we can never be together, Hun-ah."

Sehun swears he can hear his own heart crack when she says that. "Why not?"

"Because I'll only end up breaking your heart."

Sehun scoffs at her words. "What, just like how your mother broke your father's heart?" He suddenly feels angry, but he doesn't know why. "Dammit, Soojung! You're not your mother, stop thinking that you'll make the same mistakes as her!"

Sehun's words really hit home, and Krystal starts to cry harder. 

It pains Sehun to see the girl he loves being in such a state. He's never seen his Soojung look so fragile and weak. He takes a seat next to her on her couch and pulls the girl into a hug, offering her comfort. He wants to show her that he'll always be there for her, no matter what happens. He loves her, he's sure of that.

And as Sehun kisses her, Krystal starts to think that perhaps it is time she start trusting herself to love someone back with an open heart.

 


A/N: First one-shot's up! What did you think of it? Leave your comments below -- every author loves getting feedback! 

And a big thankiew to all you lovely subscribers :)