Changes

Caffeine

 

It had been nice, whilst it lasted. The company of a pretty girl, not being alone, and feeling supported by fans. But things change, they always do. Junhyung would never have predicted things to turn out like this, though.

 

When promotions for ‘Thanks To’ began with Yoseob was when things began to change. He began to feel something stirring in his chest, at first he was sure it wasn’t that but once he had realised, it became hard to ignore. But it would be in everyone’s best interests if he ignored it, so he buried it deep and pretended nothing changed.

 

But as his relationship with Hara grew, so did his yearning for Yoseob. He knew he couldn’t have both of them, and it wasn’t like he could even have Yoseob. So he stuck by Hara’s side, trying to bury his feelings for Yoseob further. He hadn’t told anyone, he didn’t have anyone he could trust enough. He didn’t even write about it in his journal, suspicious that someone might come across it.

 

Then one day Yoseob came bounding up to him with the biggest grin ever and a message from the company; Junhyung was to write Yoseob a song. Junhyung had secretly written many songs for Yoseob already, but he wouldn’t tell him that. And so they could spend longer together, Junhyung had decided to write a completely new song.

 

Despite starting anew, the song was still completed quickly and Junhyung was left once again craving for Yoseob’s company. At least they could hang out at the dorm when they were free.

 

Junhyung swore someone was looking out for him. He received a notice from the company that they were very happy with Yoseob’s solo song, so rather than putting it on their next album they were going to finally let Yoseob have his solo debut, with Junhyung as his producer. Yoseob seemingly couldn’t thank him enough, excitedly jumping about and hugging him. Junhyung was worried Yoseob might hear his heart bursting out of his chest, but he could always blame it on being excited.

 

As Junhyung spent more and more time with Yoseob in the studio, he spent less and less time with Hara and she wasn’t happy about it. Junhyung on the other hand, was quite ecstatic at getting to spend so much time with the person he cherished so much. And it was then he realised, that he no longer felt the same way for Hara any more. It was like the two of them had fought inside his heart, and Yoseob had won, leaving Hara forgotten. It wasn’t like he meant to forget about her, it just turned out that way and he supposed he should end it soon, lest it become too late.

 

So he dumped Hara. He thought he was going to feel bad about it, until she revealed in anger that she had been cheating for most of their ‘relationship’. Junhyung also thought he should feel anger at that revelation, but instead he still just felt happy. He knew he couldn’t have Yoseob, but now his heart was no longer conflicted and he just felt at ease.

 

He wasn’t sure when their relationship had shifted. Somewhere along the production of Yoseob’s solo album, Junhyung felt the atmosphere change. It no longer felt like that of two friends, it felt like something more. Junhyung sincerely hoped his mind wasn’t making things up just to torment him further. But it seemed electric all of a sudden, the need to lean close and the need to touch each other, they couldn’t stop. Junhyung swore he saw Yoseob staring at his lips. When he thought about it, hadn’t things always been like this? They had always passed secret looks and touches, yet now it felt that much more meaningful. Junhyung wondered if he should say something, but he thought the consequences of being wrong were too high.

 

The album was nearly completed, and the two were in the studio hanging out. Yoseob asked where the other producers were, and Junhyung replied that they wouldn’t be in the studio today, so they were alone. At that realisation, their eyes met and in that moment, Junhyung knew he wasn’t the only one who felt the way he did.

 

He saw Yoseob move to lean close to him, so he took the chance. Holding Yoseob’s face he leant in and kissed him gently, lips barely touching, but enough to send shivers down Yoseob’s spine. And they stayed like that for a moment, before Junhyung began to move, Yoseob immediately responding. Their lips slowly caressed, neither of them wanting the moment to end. 

 

Junhyung was the first to pull back, only to pull Yoseob into his arms and hold him close, the two of them smiling like giddy teenagers. Squeezing each other tight and whispering to each other how they felt. Junhyung had never felt happier and more alive, it was like Yoseob was his caffeine.