Chapter 1: Twisted fate

Heart of thorns

In all my life I wanted to wish that this was a dream. I wanted to wake up in my bed as a 10 year old girl waiting for Mom to call me down to have a cup of chocolate milk. I wanted to wake up and hear my fathers laughter as he twirls my mother around with his arms embrasing her. But no. This was my nightmare. Reality was . I'm 16 years old, never had sweet sixteen those are just bull. I am Alysha, my life is filled of crappy moments. It began on a cravy road with bullets of rain daggering at us and the night shadowing us with its darkness. And as always accidents happen. I was in the car that time, with my mother. We came back from the carnival, tired but happy.

I remembered the time I sat at the back seat not leaving my eyes from my mother. I looked at her with a smile plastered onto my lips. "Mom do you have dreams?" I asked starting a random subject. My mother did not turn away from the road but her smile grew as she shrugged "Of coarse! But there is always a time I always think reality are dreams and my fantasy are reality, so I don't know if I'm dreaming right now" she laughed. Yes, I hoped I was dreaming then. Everything went fast, all I saw was the headlights from the other car then my head hitting the seat. Everything went black. I woke up feeling someone pulling me out of the car. Though my sight was blury I still saw the fireman who was pulling me as many others entered the scene. I heard a wail and scream. I turned my head quickly catching the sight of my mother which was a miracle. Her head covered with blood, driping down her head almost covering her beautiful light brown hair I always admired. My eyes widen as I started to scream for my mother. The fireman silenced contantly saying 'it was alright' It wasn't alright! My mother couldn't get out since her leg was stuck. I cried out to her reaching my small hand out. My mother shouted in agony as other firemen tried to open the door through the passenger side opposite her seat. "Alysha, I love you" she shouted once she spoted crying as the fireman struggled to hold me down. "Be a good girl for mommy" Her last words as the car blew up. Death was in the air. It wasn't only my mother that died but the driver of the other car did too except for a woman who was wailing in despire crying about how the man who she was with shouldn't have drank too much liquor. She was right. I lost my mother! But I can't blame anyone, I came with the conclusion in blaming myself.

Waking up in the hospital was not was I was expecting. I turned to see only my big sister, Carol who was crying as she held my hand. Father wasn't there. Once I was discharged my life was different. The atmosphere changed drastically. From laughter to grief and pain. My father became to drink more, weep more, work more, went out more. Carol would always look after me and make dinner. She taught me how to make an omlet and how to make soup. She turned into a mother figure but she can never take our mothers place. She and I knew that. Everytime father came home he would turn away from me, he would only talk to Carol. Once he sent daggers at me with sudden bursts of tears. I knew why he blamed me. He blamed me for whining at my mom to take me to the carnival while Carol was at camp. Of coarse he would blame me, I was the child fated with death. He ruled me out of the family. He neglected me. He never took me to school so I saved up money to buy a bike. Carol didn't want father to take her to school so she joined me. Dad bought hers, and Carol chipped in on helping me buy a bike too. It feels so lonely, Carol was the only one I could turn to.

School was miserable. Long stares, whispers, murmurs and glances. Some were pityful, some were nosy, some were glares. I didn't have any friends to begin with. Only a couple but, they all began to leave me for others. I spent most of my free time at school in libraries sticking my nose into a novel reading about love triangles, happy ever after, dramas, whatever I could lay my hands on. I soon earned friends...the libarians of coarse. When I turned 14 Carol was married. Celebrations lightened the mood and our Dad as happy but he still felt emptiness. I was alone now. Carol gone off to raise a family now. Then a baby.

Now me and my father are moving from the urban life to the country side of South Korea. Leaving behind all the memories was not ture. The memories still lived in my head. I was lucky enough for my Father to leave me a seat in the trunk. Once we arrived to the house I started to unpack all the clothing while my father unpacked his. It was quiet and I wanted to end this as soon as possible. Once I finished I knew my father wouldn't care if I went out and explore. So I did. I ran, not walk. In to the calm breeze. I ran through the trees near the road. I twirled around spun around feeling he air sink into my sink. The smell of the country side was not as bad as I thought. My mind felt less intense with the memories of my dear Mother. I turned looking at each beautiful tree enlighting in every way. I turned back to the road suddenly seeing another section of the road divided. I glanced on to the right side suddenly feeling something bubbling inside me. It was a mysterious road. It looked more alive then the one I was in. It somehow drew me in. Like it was whispering to me. I ran there forrowing my eyes as I soon smelt the scent of flowers everwhere. I began to walk along the road until I saw a figure of a male sitting down beneath a tree. My curiosity rose as I kept walking straight to the man. My eyes were soon widen once I layed my eyes on him. His eye lids were shut, asleep probably. A book still open but pressed to his chest by his left hand. His lips pink and kissable. His hair, chocolate brown and curly making me want to run my han through them. His skin milky white. He was like an angel. His eyes soon opened with a smile on his lips as his hand rose up to my cheek
"Its not a dream?" his voice deep and husky "Then this is reality" he rose up closing the book as he stretched standing up straight and tall. My lips were still sealed tight just observing each move he made "Your quiet" he chuckled sending waves of shivers through my spine "I-I sorry" I can't talk properly! why now? how pathetic am I? "Whats your name?" he asked rasing an eyebrow so prefectly. "Alysha" my voice still shaking. I froze feeling his hand on mine lifting it up gently "I'm Minho, and I am very pleased to be awake to find a princess before me" he said placing a kiss on my hand. I blushed intensively tqaking away my hand. "Minho! Get your here!!!!" a voice called from a distance. Minho sighed looking at me apologetically. Even in times like this he's still an angel. "It seems I must go" he bowed at me with a wink follwed by "Byebye Alysha" "Bye...Minho" my shyness has exceeded to maximum whats wrong with me! the voice called again shouting the same phrase as Minho was soon annoyed "Coming Key!!!!!" he shouted showing a hint of anoyance in his tone. I giggled watching him blush as he ran off. I soon fell down sighing as I soon covered my red face "Why now Alysha?" I turned to where he lay and saw the book. I picked it up and stood up. I was about to call his name but I knew he was long gone. I groaned looking at the book 'Whisper by Chrissie Keighery' weird for a guy to read a book based on a girl. I placed the book to my chest hugging it. Somehow this is the first time I forgot about death, forgot about grief, disbelief, sadness. He changed that. Is this what they call? Love?