Forgotten Confession

Forgotten

 

It is Sunday, and the two best friends sit side by side at Sehun's desk. Jongin's doing his homework and Sehun, having finished his work already, is sketching a picture of Jongin.
 
"Sehunnie! Do you think I should try joining the art club too?" Jongin asks, peeping over Sehun's shoulder at his artwork.
 
"Sure, no harm trying." Sehun smiles, not looking up from his sketch.
 
"What about the basketball team? Kyungsoo's in it, and I want to try being in a sports team!" Jongin's face brightens up at the thought of Kyungsoo, but Sehun doesn't notice.
 
"Mmm, sure." Sehun doesn't pay much attention to the boy named Kyungsoo, vaguely remembering he's a kingka who is really good in sports. Jongin probably looks up to him for that.
 
"Oh! Talking about Kyungsoo, do you think I should ask him out tomorrow?" Jongin grins, hardly able to contain his excitement.
 
"Sure—wait, WHAT?!" Sehun drops his pencil in shock, staring at Jongin with wide eyes. "You're planning to ask him out?" Somewhere deep inside, Sehun feels his heart shattering into a hundred pieces.
 
"Yeah, I've been crushing on him for a long time." Jongin replies nonchalantly, as if Sehun's totally overreacting.
 
"S-Sure, if you really want to go out with him." Sehun forces a smile, lowering his head to continue his sketch. Earlier, his heart broke; now it feels like those broken pieces are crushed by Jongin.
 
"Yay! Thanks, Sehunnie!" Jongin beams, gathering up his things. "I'll see you tomorrow!"
 
As Jongin leaves, Sehun smiles sadly, carefully placing the unfinished drawing into a folder.
 
Crushing on him for a long time, huh? Does he not remember my confession? Sehun sighs, flopping onto his bed.
 
Am I inferior?
 
Sehun blinks back the tears that are threatening to fall, taking a deep breath. No, he'd stayed by Jongin's side for two years after he was rejected, somehow managing to be best friends again, waiting for the day Jongin would accept him.
 
And now his hopes are crushed. Totally, completely crushed.
 
Sehun buries his face in his pillow, wanting to escape into dreamland, yet dreading tomorrow, when he would have to face Jongin—and most possibly Kyungsoo too.
 
---
 
"Sehunnie! He said yes!" A very happy Jongin barges into Sehun's classroom the moment the bell rings, enveloping the latter in a bear hug. "C'mon! Let's go have lunch with Kyungsoo!"
 
"..Sorry, Kai. I have some errands to run. Go have lunch with him, I'll see if I can drop by your house later." Sehun puts on a fake smile, slinging his bag over his shoulder and leaving the classroom.
 
---
 
In reality, Sehun doesn't have any errands to run. He simply doesn't want to face Jongin, nor Kyungsoo. He doesn't trust that he would be able to control himself and not snap at them.
 
Sehun trudges into the neighbourhood bookstore. Kingkas wouldn't be seen dead in a bookstore—they'd be called a nerd and be stripped of their title as a kingka. It is surprisingly crowded, and Sehun is about to leave. Until he sees two familiar figures enter the bookstore, hand in hand.
 
Jongin and Kyungsoo.
 
Sehun's first reaction is to panic, and he immediately tries to push past the customers to the back exit, avoiding the pair. Just as Sehun is about to slip out of the bookstore, he feels a hand encircle around his right wrist.
 
"Sehunnie? Why are you avoiding me?" Jongin's voice is soft and sad.
 
Sehun doesn't reply, thinking Jongin would eventually give up, but Jongin won't take silence for an answer. He tugs gently at Sehun's wrist, pouting slightly.
 
"Sehunnie, don't ignore me..." Jongin's crying, and Sehun can hear it in his voice.
 
"Just go kiss your new boyfriend and leave me alone." Sehun snaps, turning around to face Jongin with tears in his eyes. Pulling his wrist away from an astonished Jongin, Sehun leaves, brushing the tears away with the back of his hand.
 
---
 
Sehun half expects Jongin to chase after him. But no, Jongin isn't the playful, insistent boy that Sehun once knew. Jongin now has a boyfriend.
 
What was I thinking? Expecting him to chase after me and pester me again... He doesn't have time for me. He already has a boyfriend. I'm just a friend.
 
Sehun sinks down on a park bench, gazing up at the sky and the ever-changing clouds. Jongin's just like a cloud. He changed. Sehun sighs, getting up to continue on his way home, when he notices a scuffle taking place behind some shrubs.
 
Sehun's about to ignore it and head home, not exactly in the mood to get involved in a fight, when he hears a familiar voice scream out for help, only to get muffled seconds later.
 
The victim isn't just anybody.
 
It's Jongin.