Part 3

Quitting

 

The dog was demanding attention again; but at least it was not at 3am anymore. You groaned into your pillow, ignoring the morning sunlight. 6am did not mean it was any better than getting up at 3am, it just meant that at least you could be fed too.

The puppies were let out into the small back yard and you made yourself a small bowl of cereal. You saw the honey bottle on the shelf and decided that your house-mate would not notice if a little bit was used. Similarly with the chocolate sprinkles. And who counts the number of strawberries in a box?

Satisfied with your breakfast, you settled in front of your laptop. You checked your emails and then Facebook – nothing exciting as usual. You then opened tumblr and noticed the envelope with a red notification that you had a message. You opened the message and proceeded to bite through your breakfast with vicious energy.

It was from an online friend you had connected with several months ago. It had begun with some messages, teaching each other foreign languages and stories about places and people you’ve been and met. She was into fashion and had similar taste in music, of both Western and kpop. Talks about SHINee were the best fun. It wasn’t a serious friendship because she seemed tumblr famous; well, not serious enough to be suddenly asked to go to the International Airport to pick up her brother and let him stay with you for a few days.

You continued through the extra-long message that included a story of how her brother was feeling stressed and how she was afraid that he was teetering on the edge of self-destruction. And how you were the only one she could trust to help. “Please please please help. You won’t regret it.” she ended the message.

You chewed the bottom of your lip, trying to decide what to do. You felt the youngest puppy nudge at your leg with a toy rope in his mouth, begging you to play with him. You had saved him from the shelter last year.

“I will blame you if this goes wrong,” you whispered into his face and petted him. Just like you couldn’t leave the puppy in his helpless situation, you could not help your friend, especially if what she said about her brother was so serious.