Blowing Cherry Blossoms

The Pathway to Failure is Filled with Bliss

 

Seunghyun didn’t want to move from his desk after the final bell rang. His legs protested to any movement. The math teacher gave him 20 beatings beyond Jiyong’s original 7. Jiyong averted his eyes from looking at his side of the classroom for the rest of the hour, focusing on the board and diligently writing notes in silence.

Seunghyun wondered if he made the right decision. He thought this would make them closer and maybe Jiyong would at least talk to him after what he did. However, right as the teacher’s bell rang he scrambled to grab his things and quickly limped out the door with stiff legs.

Seunghyun groaned and let his head fall to his desk with a large thud. A few students looked over at him, whispering as they packed their things, but he didn’t care. He needed some pain to remind him of what an idiot he was. He was pretty much invisible after years of the other students teasing him but now he was back in the spotlight again and in such a bad way.

He pulled out his English book to make sure any studiers wouldn’t interrupt his daydreaming to kick him out before gazing out the window at the ghostly barren soccer field surrounded by trees shedding their blossoms in the light wind. Does Jiyong like blossoms above him or does he prefer lush grass between his toes?

Seunghyun glanced at his tattered notebook sticking out of his back and grabbed it before he could completely think through this. He desperately pulled out a pen and started writing.

Pale as blossoms with a tint of pink

Won’t you share your smile with me today?

What is pressing at your mind that makes you leave in such a flurry, like the blossoms from the tree?

Am I your wind or am I your branch?

Will I make your beauty fly away from view?

Will you fly back to me?

Seunghyun stopped his pen from flowing across his paper. He gulped at what he admitted to himself. He wanted to see him again. Why does he want to see this boy so much? Why does he leave such a huge impression on him?

Seunghyun lifted his pen again when he felt someone standing next to him. He looked up to see Jiyong looking down at him, biting his lip, ruffling his hair before sighing and taking the seat next to him.

Seunghyun tensed up and quickly closed his notebook. How much had he seen? He could feel heat starting to rush to his face so he took the chance to put away his notebook and pen when Jiyong spoke.

“Why did you do that?” Jiyong asked him in an irritated tone.

Seunghyun stayed silent.

“I mean, I’m a younger student, I should be taking the beatings, not my older classmates who I barely know.” Jiyong rambled, ruffling his hair again.

“I wanted to talk to you,” Seunghyun whispered.

Jiyong looked confused.

“What would be so important that you’d take a beating for me just to talk?” Jiyong inquired while bending over, elbows on his knees, making him look older than 14.

Seunghyun figured he’d try to keep being honest.

“I wanted to know what and who you were listening to during class today,” Seunghyun admitted.

Jiyong sat for a moment, like trying to remember something from years past.

“Oh! You mean this?” He said pulling out a new Cowon iAUDIO CW100. Seunghyun gasped. Those were for chaebols. How did this kid have one? Does he know how much he wanted one? Seunghyun couldn’t contain himself. He reached over and grabbed it.

“Wah! You have one of these? Are your parents loaded or something? How does it work? How do you get your music on here?” Seunghyun rambled in excitement.

Jiyong snickered at the quiet boy’s outburst.

“My parents aren’t really rich. I had to earn it. I have a part time job after school. You get songs off the Internet and put them on this. It holds about 35 songs. I change them around every week.” Jiyong said to the older who was busy pressing its buttons.

“So, what do you listen to? Do you listen to idol groups?” Seunghyun tried to ask in a nonchalant way but it ended up coming out nervous. He hoped he said no more than he’d like to admit.

Jiyong laughed at Seunghyun’s tone.

“Yah! Why would I listen to that? Am I a girl?” Jiyong snapped at him.

Snatching the player he pushed a couple buttons and put a headphone in Seunghyun’s ear.

Seunghyun heard crisp tones like he hadn’t heard before and American hip-hop flowing into his ear. He started grinning really big, feeling the relief spread through his chest at the sound.

“What do you think?” Jiyong asked, already knowing the answer from Seunghyun’s transparent face.

“It’s like the music I listen to. Who is this? It isn’t Notorious BIG,” Seunghyun asked.

“It’s Wu Tang Clan. I’ve been listening to them for years. It’s kind of my comfort music for when I’m having a hard time.” Jiyong admitted.

Seunghyun nodded. He understood. Sometimes music just has the comfort that no one else can give you. Like the beats slowly erase the problems while hugging your heart.

Jiyong looked at his watch and muttered curses to himself.

“Normally I like going to work but today is going to be more of a pain.’ Jiyong groaned rubbing his stiff legs.

Seunghyun frowned. He didn’t know the boy had a job. He was just so young looking. If he had known, maybe he would have stood up sooner.

“Jiyong?” Seunghyun asked nervously.

“Mmm?“ Jiyong acknowledged while rubbing his legs, trying to loosen the muscles.

“Is there any way I could help you with your job today?” Seunghyun asked looking at his feet.

He looked up to see Jiyong smiling at him.

“Yeah! Of course you can. I think you may like my job as much as I do.” Jiyong beamed at him holding his hand out to try to help Seunghyun up.

Seunghyun held up his hand, passing on the offer. He knew he could get up. He didn’t want to put the pressure on the boy’s tiny legs.

The pain was a dull, stiff ache. He groaned as he stretched his arms and back.

Jiyong grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the door as Seunghyun grabbed his bag. He had to hand it to Jiyong, he was quite enthusiastic for someone who had such a busy life.

At the door, Jiyong turned around to smile a little at Seunghyun.

“Gomowo.” Jiyong said in a soft and serious tone before pulling him down the hall towards the school’s exit.

His cherry blossom seemed to be blowing back to him.