Resemblance 01;

Resemblance

 

The crispy, yellow tinted leaves floated to the ground in delicate and swift motion, marking the third fall on which he stood there at the same spot. Outside on the garden in front of the hospital, little children scuttled around and fooled around. Unfortunately, most of the kids were either disabled or ill. It wrenched one’s heart to see that some couldn’t enjoy the clear weather like others.

He turned back to the patient who lay straight across the white bed, skin pale and energy gradually draining.  Her eyelids veiled her beautiful and bright brown eyes, same as it was for the past three years.  Her beauty never paled though as it stood tenderly, glowing from her body.

The figure beside her was cleansing the patient, silent until she spoke up. “She’s improving, isn’t she, Junsu?” Those little words of comfort failed to ignite a dimmed flame of hope from Junsu.

Junsu leaned down to softly the patient’s face, answering in lost hope, “I can’t tell, Hebe. If it wasn’t for that accident…” His hands lifted itself from her face, curling into a fist that hovered in mid-air.

Ignoring that comment of the horrible past, Hebe continued to shower hope into Junsu’s mind. “The doctor said as long as her condition is stable – like now - chances of her waking up are higher.”

Junsu smiled bitterly as he recalled the only hope that willed him to live up to this day.

“Doctor, why hasn’t she woken up yet? You said it would be at most a week!” The young latter grabbed the doctor’s white collar, slamming him into the wall.

“I’m sorry; Jang Ri In’s condition unexpectedly worsened .” The doctor held his head down in apology.

“So, when is she going to wake up?” Junsu demanded through his gritted teeth.

“Well, if Jang Ri In’s heart keeps beating and her body doesn’t malfunction, there’s hope.”

Days moulded into weeks, weeks moulded into months and months moulded into years but Ri In did not show any sign of vitality.

“I’ll visit you again tomorrow, love,” Junsu whispered and kissed her tenderly on the forehead. “And, thank you Hebe, for looking after Ri In for me when I’m away.”

Hebe just nodded, brushing it off. She continued to pat the warm cloth on Ri In’s body. Casting one regretful glance at Ri In, Junsu ambled out of the room.

 

 

The fall’s chilly breeze blew into Junsu’s face as soon as he exited out of the hospital’s back doors to take a short walk. The weather affected him because he’d just emerged from the heavy warmth.

Junsu scanned the park and his attention came to a group of children crowding around a nurse, singing nursery rhymes. He merely brushed it away but stopped when he realised something familiar to the nurse and his beloved Ri In. They both had a beautiful voice and they both had the same sparkle in their eyes when it came to children.

Junsu looked around him and found a green bench behind him that was unoccupied. Turning around, he rested himself on the bench, his eyes never off the nurse. He immersed himself for a moment to the tune of the joyful rhyme until another young nurse with short hair came out and announced in a sweet voice to the children that lunch was ready. They all rushed off, laughing and cheering, leaving the nurse alone.

The nurse was about to leave when Junsu stood up and yelled, “Hey, wait up!” The nurse looked around and spotted Junsu who was jogging in her direction. Uncertain, she pointed to herself and Junsu nodded.

He reached her, panting. Finally, he straightened himself up and held out his hand.

“I’m Kim Junsu.”

The nurse giggled at the handsome stranger in front of her, accepting his hand. Something unnervingly comforting cleared any suspicions that the stranger in front of her was a subject of immorality.

“Kim Taeyeon.”

Junsu then scratched his head, shy. He sought his brain for something to say when Taeyeon spoke up.

“I’m having lunch break now. Care to join?” Taeyeon suggested hopefully.

Like Ri In, Taeyeon was a blunt and straightforward girl. Their personalities were familiar. Junsu agreed and they conversed as they walked to the food court. In their conversation, Junsu had found that Taeyeon’s dream job was being a doctor who travelled around the world to help children like Ri In’s – who, due to circumstances, had to choose another path in life.

 

 

A month passed by quickly and Junsu’s visits to Ri In were less frequent as he spent nearly every minute of his free time with Taeyeon. They enjoyed each other’s company but weren’t yet dating each other.

Junsu opened the door to his room and walked over to the drawer near his bed, drawing out a box that was dug deeply under his most treasured items. He vigilantly lifted out the lid, placing it aside of the box. In the box was a collection of photos that starred Ri In and himself. A bittersweet smile pasted on his face as he scanned through the pile.

There was one when they had completed their fifteenth case as detectives and celebrated with their comrades. Being amateurs, reaching a small goal was worthy of a celebration. They visited Jeju for a week and enjoyed the scenic view of the beautiful landscape. Junsu had his arms wrapped tightly around Ri In’s waist while they posed for a group photo. The person who snapped the pictures were kind enough to take a full focus picture of them.

He flicked the front picture to the back, meeting with another cheerful photo. Celebrating New Year, they had a little kiss as the fireworks shot throughout the sky. A kind stranger coincidently caught them on camera. Printing instantly from his Polaroid camera, he handed it to them.

There was a bunch but the most recent one – three years ago – was just before the fateful accident that had occurred. They were attending a dinner party with their friends, celebrating their first year in their business. Together they stood, arms wrapped around each other.

Junsu gave each photo one last look before doing what he initially opened the box for. Striding out into the balcony, Junsu placed the photos in a little tin box, one by one hesitantly. He glanced at the photos, attempting foolishly to embed them in his memory. He was reluctant to part with memories that he wanted to erase forever.

He had developed feelings for Taeyeon – he knew it. He was going to confess to her and had to forget about Ri In. To do that he was to burn every precious memory that lasted between them. Undoubtedly, he would still care for her but would only treat her as a friend. He still felt obligated to care for her since he was her boyfriend and he was involved in the accident which heaved a load of guiltiness on his shoulders.

After the pile was cleared, Junsu lit up his lighter, placing it down onto the nearest photo. The fire rapidly devoured the other photos, burning them all together. The vertices of the photos crippled under the soothing breeze. The red and blazing fire flickered as the photos blackened, turning slowly into ash. The smoke gathered, floating flamboyantly up to the clear blue sky. The sickening smell overflowed Junsu’s nostrils as he scrunched them up.

When the photos were completely devoured by the fire and had turned straight into unrecognisable, black ash, Junsu tipped some water into the tin, distinguishing the fire. As soon as the fire died, Junsu left, leaving the tin on his balcony.

Out of the midst of black photos, Ri In’s smiling face appeared, untarnished.

 

 

Junsu fixed his hair as he waited for Taeyeon at the hospital. He called her up, wanting to meet her on her lunch break. In his hand was a bunch of flowers that were all purple, Taeyeon’s favourite flower colour.

He waited for a while until Taeyeon emerged from the sliding hospital doors, smiling brightly as she spotted him waiting for her. She walked over, decreasing the distance between them.

“Hey,” she greeted softly with a shy smile as she saw a bunch of flowers in Junsu’s arm; a reaction he had encountered from Ri In when he confessed to her in the past.

Junsu gave a little smile before he greeted her back, “Hey, Taeyeon.”

They stood together in the awkward silence as Junsu fidgeted and Taeyeon had an anticipating expression. Junsu coughed out twice before reaching the hand that held the flowers out.

“Um… here - for you.”

Taeyeon happily received it, inhaling it before spreading bright smile.

“Thanks, Junsu!” Taeyeon leaned over and pecked Junsu lightly on his left cheek; a bold move out of the midst of shyness. Another striking resemblance to Ri In. It made him infatuated with Taeyeon all the more.

A grin spread across his face as he rubbed the place that had come in contact with Taeyeon’s lips. Taeyeon looked down shyly, a blush creeping up her face. Suddenly, Junsu had confidence looking at the vulnerable Taeyeon and confessed.

“Taeyeon, I like you, so can you be my girlfriend?”

Taeyeon’s eyes widened, surprised by Junsu’s sudden confidence. Then a smile slowly pasted on her face as she nodded her head softly. Junsu was bursting with happiness when he noticed her nodding her head very lightly. With a smile lighting up his face, he gathered Taeyeon in his arms and hugged her softly. Taeyeon happily hugged Junsu tighter to herself.

It has been long since he felt the warmth and comfort of an inviting hug. Taeyeon’s body felt slightly different to Ri In’s fuller frame.

Little did they know that a couple – Hebe Tian and Aaron Yan - looking from Ri In’s room, witnessed everything. Sighing for their poor friend lying on the bed, they closed the curtains to obscure the view in which they detested.

 

 

On their first week, Junsu decided that Taeyeon needed to know and meet Ri In. So, on the day they were both free, Junsu planned to ask Taeyeon to visit Ri In.

Diffidently, Junsu looked up from his meal that he was devouring and stared across the table. Taeyeon looked up when she noticed Junsu had paused from eating.

Junsu reached across the small square table and placed his hand firmly on Taeyeon’s. She tilted her head to the side, question and concern scrunching up her face. Junsu couldn’t help but see resemblance from Taeyeon and Ri In whenever she did that. Both held a certain pure innocence when it came to wellbeing of another. They displayed a distinct altruistic quality in which he admired and loved.

“Um… I thought you might like to visit my ex…” Junsu trailed off, not knowing how to eloquently weave his thoughts into words.

Taeyeon’s forehead creased into a frown.

“Why, though?” Taeyeon asked with a tone of doubt in her voice.

“Well, she’s… in a coma… but I thought it would be good to introduce her to you.” Junsu let out a sigh of relief when he said everything that had been swimming in his mind for so long. To express it heaved a burden off his shoulders.

Taeyeon nodded her head slowly, mouth open a bit, in understanding as she registered Junsu’s words. curved into a smile a bit as she nodded a bit firmer. Junsu uncertainly took that as a “yes”.

 

 

Junsu and Taeyeon held hands as they entered Ri In’s room, absorbed in their own animated conversation. They stopped abruptly when they met the sight of Ri In and two other people who were occupying the room as well. The two couples in the room both stopped what they were doing and observed each other.

Hebe glanced briefly as Junsu, ignoring the presence of Taeyeon. Taeyeon looked at Hebe then back at Junsu who gave a reassuring smile to her. Once again, Hebe was washing Ri In.

Aaron, on the other hand, was reading a fairy tale to Ri In. Junsu titled his head slightly to the right to catch the story’s title. There, displayed in neat curly writing was ‘Cinderella’. Junsu suddenly had a brief flash of memory about Ri In and the story, Cinderella.

“Junsu, read Cinderella for me, please!” Ri In begged, swinging Junsu’s arm with a huge pout on her face.

Junsu smiled at Ri In and picked out from the shelves a thin picture book and they both settled on the carpet near fluffed pillows as Junsu read the story to Ri In. She listened intently; enjoying Junsu’s musical voice reading to her a story she had a predilection for.

Concluding with the last line, Ri In leaned up and pecked Junsu softly on the cheeks as a token of appreciation. He grinned and nuzzled his nose against hers.

“Ri In, why do you like this story?” Junsu wondered.

“Because,” Ri In hesitated before finally speaking again, “it reflects the story of my life.” Ri In finished with a disappointed and distant smile.

Junsu was silent for a moment, mentally reprimanding himself for bringing up a sensitive topic.

Though her ending wasn’t quite the same as Cinderella’s, she was contented because having Junsu was already everything to her. She didn’t need a glass slipper, a prince or a miracle; she just needed Junsu. To her, Junsu was her life and a life without him meant a constant search for escape.

Aaron looked from the book in his hands, regarding Junsu shortly then returning to reading the book. His voice became louder and pinpointed at the part where the three evil sisters demanded that their foot fit the glass slipper. Junsu knew Aaron was referring to Taeyeon being the role of the evil sisters in the story.

Junsu sighed, knowing all too well that his friends’ didn’t accept Taeyeon though that didn’t change his view on things. They didn’t understand.

The same thought ran through Aaron and Hebe’s head as they continued on what they were previously halted from doing. Junsu and Taeyeon just stood awkwardly together as Aaron and Hebe attended to Ri In.

Aaron placed the closed book on the nightstand on which he was sitting next to and faced Junsu.

“How far has the case gone?”

Junsu’s eyes flickered with realisation as he remembered that he had vowed to look for the one that messed with the breaks which caused this tragic incident. Spending so much time with Taeyeon buried his promise to the back of his mind, like a child burying his deceased dog. He had a blank face, trying to conjure an excuse for his lack of contribution. Taeyeon squeezed their entwined hands, looking up to Junsu in query. It came to him in a surprise that he had not yet told Taeyeon his occupation. He composed himself and gave a little smile that indicated that he would tell her later.

“I haven’t done much researching because I was busy,” Junsu replied, feeling his hands go clammy.

He heard Hebe snicker and he felt pathetic. Without facing him, Hebe asked:

“Busy going out with your girlfriend?”

Taeyeon took a step back, feeling the impact of Hebe’s venomous tone. Her face scrunched up, hurt displayed on her features. Her grip on Junsu’s hands tightened, as if she was afraid of Hebe.

“Hebe, I have my own life too,” defended Junsu. He was getting sick of his friends’ behaviours.

A bitter smile spread across Hebe’s face as she swiped the bowl of water from the table of the bed to the floor, letting it tumble with a loud splash. Junsu and Taeyeon, surprised, stepped back to dodge the streaming water.

“Tell that to Ri In, Junsu,” Hebe said between her tightly gritted teeth, “What life does she have? She lies here in the hospital bed day after day, not knowing when the sun rises and sets.”

Guilt struck Junsu but it couldn’t make him eat back his words. He couldn’t do anything to reverse the feelings he had either.

Having enough of Junsu, Hebe stood up from the chair she recently occupied and advanced towards Junsu and Taeyeon. She gripped Junsu’s collar and held his face down to her level.

“Even we have done something useful,” she said curtly before pushing him back and exiting the room.

Aaron left too, trailing behind his girlfriend.

 

 

Taeyeon wanted Junsu when the question she wanted answered kept tugging at her mind. As Junsu was walking over to the other side, right in front of the end of Ri In’s bed, she put her hand up and halted him from taking any further step.

“Yes, Taeyeon?” Junsu asked softly as he gazed into her eyes.

“I-I…can you tell me what you guys were talking about earlier?”

The bluntness made Junsu think about Ri In for a moment before smiling back at Taeyeon.

“Well…” and Junsu begin his explanations.

Oblivious to both of them, the body on the bed started moving, its finger twitching slightly. Slowly, the eyes of the body opened, facing the ceiling above with fogged eyes. They slowly cleared like a camera adjusting after zooming in.

The body, identified as Jang Ri In, tried to lift up its finger in vain. The feeling panicked her as it only felt like waking up from a night’s sleep but her muscles were soft; unbelievably supple. She casted her gaze away from her body, trying to search for any help. Her eyes stopped at her beloved Junsu. She cried in joy inside and wanted to call out to him but stopped when she saw, to her horror, Junsu placing his hands on a girl’s shoulders in front of him and kissing her forehead.

Ri In wanted to stop them and tried to speak but nothing came out. She was shocked and it was as though her voice was drained out from horror. Her eyes were open wide, observing the scene in front of her on which her eyes would not depart from.

Clearing silently, Ri In finally felt her voice return to her and dared to speak in a mouse like voice. “Junsu?”

The couple immediately turned their head to the source of the voice and were shocked to see Ri In with her eyes open wide. A smile spread across Junsu’s face as he let go of Taeyeon and rushed over to Ri In’s side, holding her hands in his tightly.

A smile was wiped off one’s face and spread across another’s. Ri In elated that Junsu ran to her side but Taeyeon felt saddened that he just left her when he saw Ri In wake up.

“You’re awake, Ri In!” stated Junsu, eyes shining brightly.

“Who… is she?” Ri In’s feeble voice managed to utter, her eyes glancing over at Taeyeon.

It seemed as if she despised Taeyeon as hatred and disgust layered her voice. Her eyes were no different too, almost glaring if she could and looking at Taeyeon as if she was an insect. Blood drained from Junsu’s face as he tried to come up with a suitable explanation.

“She’s…” Junsu hesitated. In her head, Taeyeon urged Junsu to continue and say that she was his girlfriend. After all, Ri In had to face reality and know that she had been in a coma for three years.

“His girlfriend,” completed Taeyeon. It was no use hiding the truth from her.

Ri In narrowed her eyes at Taeyeon. Her eyes were watering; she wanted to confirm with her cracking voice, “J-Junsu, is this true?”

Junsu kept silent, not wanting to agitate Ri In any further in her unstable condition.

“Let me call the doc-,” Junsu was stopped mid-way with Ri In’s scream, failing to change the topic.

“Is it?!” Ri In yelled with all her might, tears already spiling from the edge of her eye. Her hands were clenched tightly by her side, even though her muscles were yielding.

The doctors and nurses, disturbed by the noise, rushed in. They observed that Ri In was in an unstable state and held her down while the doctor inserted his needle into Ri In’s arm. Junsu backed off so they had space and walked over to Taeyeon, placing his hand on her shoulders. Taeyeon looked up with an apologetic expression but Junsu shook his head in reassurance.

 

 

Lights blared and sirens rang as a woman was escorted from her house. Media and reporters immediately swarmed over to ask her questions but she avoided them by looking down, concealing her face.

“It’s good we solved this case as it has been concerning you a lot,” Aaron commented at Ri In who smiled slightly but was rather hurt seeing her step mother was to be imprisoned.

It was difficult to acknowledge that her step mother was the one that nearly caused her to lose her life; the mother she loved and cared for.

“It’ll be okay,” Hebe comforted as she rubbed Ri In’s shoulders.

Silence layered them as no one spoke; Junsu was the one with the most awkwardness. They all stood motionless, not knowing what to do. Just then, Junsu’s phone rang, slicing the silence with a high pitched ring. Taking his phone out of his pocket, Junsu glanced up at the caller ID. Hesitantly, he picked it up, trying to speak as low as he could to prevent himself from irritating his comrades.

“Hello, Taeyeon?”

The minute Ri In heard the name, her heart was severely pierced. Hebe and Aaron looked at Ri In in concern so she hid it, pasting a pursed smile on her face which failed to convince Hebe and Aaron that nothing was wrong.

The plan Ri In had inside her that tugged at her mind was finally concluded. She would go away, leave Junsu and Taeyeon so that they could live in happiness without her being the burden. She had wanted to leave a lot earlier, the minute she could run properly again. But she still had something she needed to do; find the one that hurt her and took away her loved one.

“I’ll be going right now,” Ri In whispered softly.

She wanted to leave the country as soon as possible so packing right now would be suitable. Hebe looked at her worriedly but Ri In just shook it off and began advancing towards the curb for a taxi. She had not driven her car as it was inconvenient, especially to the arresting.

A taxi came along the road and as Ri In was about to hail the taxi, a hand from behind held her back. Ri In twirled around and faced Junsu whose grip as still on her wrist. She wanted to glare at the devil in front of her but his concerned face melted Ri In and she couldn’t do anything but stare.

“I can drive you home,” suggested Junsu.

“Um…no, tha-,” before Ri In could complete her sentence, she was pulled by Junsu and stuffed into his car.

Ri In glared at Junsu before unwillingly strapping the seatbelt over her body. Junsu chuckled lightly at her and climbed into the driver’s seat on the other side. He the engine and drove off with the motor’s sound rumbling in the surrounds.

Oblivious to both of them was Taeyeon across road, observing Junsu’s every move. She smiled bitterly as she set off knowing that Junsu still hadn’t forgotten Ri In.

 

 

“Ri In, you can’t be going!” exclaimed Hebe while she clamped Ri In’s hand from across the table.

Ri In had called Hebe and Aaron up, informing them of her departure. They were her best friends and leaving them without mentioning anything was inconsiderate.

The whole café turned their heads around at the sudden outburst from Hebe and gazed at them with queer looks. Aaron, who was sitting next to Hebe by the window seat, placed his coffee cup down and bowed apologetically at the customers. They all returned back to their business but Hebe was still looking at Ri In desperately.

“Why are you going, Ri In?” Hebe continued to ask, her grip on Ri In’s hands getting tighter by the minute.

Ri In hesitated but Hebe’s urging eyes pushed Ri In further. She looked uncomfortable in her position. Aaron noticed that so he spoke up.

“Hebe, darling, you’re hurting Ri In.” Aaron took Hebe’s hands in his and held them tightly by his side.

“It’s because of him,” Ri In finally replied.

They all knew the person Ri In was referring to was Junsu. Hebe finally let her shoulders down and reconsidered. After the silence filled up their booth, Hebe finally decided it was a right thing for Ri In to do. Ri In suffered too much from Junsu and letting her be here would only hurt her more.

“Remember to call every day then, Ri In!” Hebe forced out a smile.

Ri In let out a weak smile. Hebe finally let her go, letting her escape from the painful memories.

“I will, Hebe, I will.”

 

 

After chatting for a little, it was time for Ri In to depart. Hebe was reluctant to let her best friend go because who knows when they will see each other again. Aaron and Hebe wanted to see Ri In off but she refused, saying it will be harder for her to go.

Aaron and Hebe watched as Ri In stepped further away, the sounds of her boot clicking away on the tiles with her light luggage trailing behind her. Ri In pushed open glass door of the café and what seemed like a noisy café was silenced for Hebe.

Not long after, a hand pushed the door open and with the merry sounds of the bells at the top ringing. Hebe’s weak face suddenly became disdained with disgust as she eyed Junsu and Taeyeon entering, holding hands.

Hebe prayed that they didn’t get spotted; she didn’t want to talk to such low lives. Especially after Ri In just left. But to her luck, Junsu spotted both of them and waved with a friendly grin. Hebe returned it with a soft growl but Junsu didn’t seem to notice that as they both advanced towards where Hebe and Aaron were.

“Hey!” Junsu smiled as he got into the seat opposite of them.

“What?” Hebe snapped her hands over her chest.

“Whoa, calm down,” Junsu said coolly.

“Yeah, after Ri In left.”

Blood suddenly drained out of Junsu’s face when he heard Ri In left. Hebe scoffed. It was too late for him to realise now. She was probably on the plane already, going towards the place she wished.

“What do you mean?”

This time, even Aaron felt sickened. What position was he in to ask? He had left her for Taeyeon so he had no right to know where she went and what she did.

“Face it, Junsu. You don’t like Taeyeon. You only like her because she resembles Ri In. You’re only using her as a substitute,” Hebe poured out.

Besides Junsu, Taeyeon was shocked. She always had this feeling and she wondered if she was the only one. Now that someone else had felt something like her, it was true. Junsu’s worried face looked over to Taeyeon, worried that he had hurt her. She smiled softly and patted Junsu’s hand, encouraging him to follow Ri In.

“Where is Ri In?” Junsu asked in a rush as he started to get up. He was off the seat, his hand holding the chair for support.

“She went to the airport,” Aaron said hesitantly and looked over at Hebe, afraid that she would be crossed at him. Instead, she just smiled brightly.

Junsu immediately let go of the chair and sprinted off. Half way, he stopped and walked back to Taeyeon breathless. Suddenly, he got onto his knees and bowed down.

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon, for all that I have caused you.”

“Go, go, before it’s too late,” Taeyeon encouraged in a very weak voice, placing her hand on his shoulder.

Junsu shot her a grateful look before running and pushing the door open. They all looked at him as he climbed into his car, pressing the pedal and racing against time.

A tear drop fell from Taeyeon’s eye and rolled down her cheeks as she tried to smile. Looking at Junsu regrettably, she grabbed her hand bag and silently left.

 

 

Junsu impatiently waited for the automatic doors to slide open. He was jumpy and as soon as the door opened, he ran in, moving his head in every direction for the sight of Ri In. Among the bobbing heads, he tried to make out people who resembled her.

Out of the countless black haired heads, he spotted someone like Ri In. A large distance separated them Junsu sprinted towards the other side. The girl continued to walk, widening the distance between them. Her figure disappeared from his sight momentarily and his heart thumped wildly. Scanning the surroundings, she spotted her once again heading towards one of the intervals.

Junsu quickened his pace and he reached her, yanking her arms to face him. The girl looked at Junsu confusedly and he recognised it wasn’t Ri In. He immediately bowed and moved on the other people.

His eyes kept darting over to the electronic board above to check if Ri In’s plane had departed. Seconds ticked by and Junsu grew more worried. Time continued to advance and although he desperately searched for her, Junsu could not find Ri In. His heart clenched in pain when he heard that the plane had departed. An individual tear trailed down his cheeks.

 

A smile graced a lady’s face as she supervised a class of children swarming around the park, chasing one another. Their merry laughter floated into her ears and her eyes closed in delightful smiles as the children giggled and playfully attacked each other.

“Ah!” a child tripped upon the grass cried out.

Tears stained the boy’s face as he painfully clutched his seething and aching knee. Ri In rushed over to examine the injury.

“Are you alright?” Worry layered Ri In’s voice.

“I’m alright, Miss.” The little boy smiled.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, Miss! Mummy said that I must be brave and that I cannot cry if I hurt myself because it will only make me sadder,” the boy’s tender voice said.

Ri In grinned and patted the boy’s head.

“Alright then, off you go! If something hurts, tell me, alright?”

“Yes, Miss!” The little child scattered off to join the other children.

Ri In observed the children playfully laughing and smiling. She too smiled with them.

 

“Jang Ri In…”

 

She abruptly turned around to the call of her name and froze, eyes widening. In front of her was the man she never thought she would ever cast her eyes upon anymore.

“Ri In, it really is you!” Junsu’s cracked voice called out.

Ri In continued to stare, incredulous at the sight ahead. She could not distinguish whether this was reality or one of the endless imaginations that empowered her in her dreams. Every time, the dream concluded with her in his embrace.

But this was too real.

She remembered waking up, commuting to the orphanage and all the other minor details of the day.

Junsu advanced towards her with the same unbelieving look. Three years; it took him three years of continuous searching to locate Ri In. He travelled many places, explored every corner of the world he could think of.

Now, she was in front of her; so close, yet so distant.

Ri In receded at Junsu’s advance. Junsu paused.

“Junsu… why are you here?”

The disdainful appearance on Junsu’s face confused her.

“Why… why did you leave me without saying anything? Did you know I searched for you every single day after that? Do you know how hard it is for me? Every single person who looked like you gave me a false hope.” His eyes watered.

“You were with Taeyeon back then! Did you really expect me to say it? You didn’t even love me back then!” Ri In retaliated.

“I did! I was just… confused, desperate and loss. During the three years, I learnt to understand that I did love you. I still do. I broke up after with Taeyeon shortly after you left.” Junsu stated.

Ri In chuckled insincerely. “Do you really expect me to believe that? Whatever it is, it is the past. It does not matter anymore. No future exists between us.”

She turned around and began enlarging the space between them. Junsu ran up and clutched her hand.

“Why are you like this, Ri In? Why doesn’t a future exist between us?” Junsu voiced with desperation.

“The moment you decided to be by her side when I was coma, you erased any possibility of the future we could have had together.” Pain layered Ri In’s feeble but insistent voice.

His grip upon her hand tightened. “Tell me; is it because you are hurt like me? That you’re scared I’ll leave you again? Tell me; did and do you feel the same way?”

Silenced filled the ticking time. She did not answer. The grip on Ri In’s hand loosened as Junsu withdrew.

“I see how it is. I’m sorry to have come. I’m sorry… for everything.” Junsu finally turned around, his heart heavy. If she did not love him, it was best for both parties to never meet each other again. It would only cause pain for him and discomfort for her.

Ri In turned to gaze at Junsu’s retreating back. Her hand was clenched in a fist and she deliberated. She was considering her heart and her mind. Her heart told her to stop him, to tell him she loves him. Her mind reminded her of the pain he had caused her, and that it could occur once more.

“No, Junsu! Please don’t go!” Ri In cried as she ran up to his back and threw her arms around him, embracing him tightly to herself.

Junsu froze, his heart beating intensely. It could not be possible that he was imagining.

“I do, I do feel the same way. I was hurt too. I love you.” Tears dribbled on Junsu’s coat and Ri In shook in fear.

Junsu twisted around after absorbing her words.

“Really? Do you really mean it?” He looked at her with eyes containing hope.

“Yes, yes, yes!”

Junsu crushed Ri In in an embrace; their feelings poured between them like a waterfall that had been momentarily halted.

“I love you too.”