the sweet life

vita dolce

 

Jiyong lightly cinches the towel around his waist- securing it as he steps out from the shower. The bathroom’s mirror is fogged up so he wipes it. His shoulder blades aches a little as he skims the cool surface. Jiyong hisses, he moves his neck to relieve the pain- closing his eyes as he encounters the familiar sting. As he opens his eyes, his sight fell on the ‘vita dolce’ on his arm. He cannot help but to smile and think of Seunghyun every time he sees his first ink.

They were young; they were ambitious- they probably didn’t know better. When Hyun Suk finally gave them their debut stage’s date, everyone was panicking. Daesung was busy training his vocals with Youngbae. Seungri was focused on perfecting his dance moves. The debut single had been chosen. Everything was only 1 week away. As they all drenched in sweat facing the practice room’s mirror, Jiyong often noticed Seunghyun sitting in the corner during the breaks. As always with his beanie, ears plugged up, hunched over his pen and paper.

“Writing again?” Jiyong took a seat next him

“Not really,” Seunghyun smirked and flashed him the scribble he’s been working on.

“Vita Dolce- what’s that?”

“I can’t remember where I first saw it but I remember it means ‘the sweet life’ and I kind of like it,” Seunghyun was back curving the outlines of the writing.

“The sweet life, hyung?”

“Soon we will be living our dreams- living the sweet life of something we’ve been working so hard for- our childhood dreams. I don’t know about you but I will forever be grateful for that. And I want to remember it. Things are going to go crazy after this, I want to always be grateful- be grounded. So, vita dolce.” Seunghyun flashed him a grin.

“Wait. Tattoo?” Jiyong was amazed at Seunghyun’s commitment.

“Why not?” At 19 years old, Seunghyun already knew and Jiyong was convinced.

Now, more than 6 years later, those words are still etched on Jiyong’s arm as it is on Seunghyun’s back- just underneath his left shoulder. Jiyong smiles again as he brushes the red heart tattoo beneath it- two tattoos in one arm and both because of Seunghyun.

Jiyong opens his bathroom door and a rush of cold air comes whirling in. Seunghyun must be here- the man likes the cold and whenever they’re staying in hotels; he always sets the temperature to the coldest.

“Hey, you’re back,” Jiyong sees Seunghyun sitting on the bed, still in his suit from the after-party, playing with his phone.

“Yeah. It was no longer fun without you around. Besides, everyone was already tired,” Seunghyun makes his way towards Jiyong.

“My phone melted earlier from everyone wishing you happy birthday,” Jiyong pouts as Seunghyun put his hands around him.

“Your phone?”

“Twitter.”

Seunghyun nods knowingly before tightening the hug around Jiyong. The slightly smaller man naturally circles his arms around Seunghyun’s waist and locking them affectionately on the small of Seunghyun’s back.

“Are you okay?” Seunghyun lightly sweeps few strands of wet hair off Jiyong’s forehead.

“Yeah, still a little bit jetlagged. It’s not like we got enough sleep last night too.”

“My fault, sorry.” Seunghyun smirks.

“Anyways, happy birthday, Seunghyun,” Jiyong tip-toes just enough so he can brush his nose against his lover’s.

“Where’s my gift?” Seunghyun’s hand teasingly outlines the towel on Jiyong’s waist.

“We only slept for an hour yesterday…” Jiyong half-heartedly protests and by now has put his arms around Seunghyun’s neck as he leans his chest against him. He can feel the birthday boy’s heart beats soothingly and rhythmically. Seunghyun lowers his head to kiss him. It’s only been a few hours since their last kiss but with Seunghyun every kiss is new, every kiss is just as addictive. They take their time with the kiss- feeling every molecule in their bodies responds to the contact, the slowly increasing heart rates and the butterfly-tickles inside their chests as they submerge themselves in this rapidly fleeting moment. Staying still is perfect like this. Standing still is treasured like this.

“Thank you for being in my life,” Jiyong mumbles into the kiss.

“Thank you for my dreams,” Seunghyun replies.

Jiyong kisses him again- gently inhaling this scent he’s known so well and longed for every day. Seunghyun slowly, without breaking the kiss, tugs Jiyong slowly towards the bed.

“Seunghyun…” Jiyong bites his lips in protest.

“We can always sleep on the plane…” Seunghyun offers.

“That’s what you said last time,” Jiyong raised one of his eyebrows but still following Seunghyun’s footsteps as the birthday boy walks backwards.

“Okay, I’ll sit next to Daesung on the flight back. You will get your sleep then, okay?” Seunghyun sits on the bed and positions Jiyong between his legs- slowly pulling the towel away.

“Yeah right,” Jiyong scoffs as he pushes Seunghyun on to the bed, “I’ll sleep when I’m old.”

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------