Chapter 3 - The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

Love and Luck

Chapter 3 - The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

Jan Di's eyes were wide. That wasn't a surprise, a day didn't go by when Jan Di wasn't surprised by something. Ga Eul sighed.

"You introduced him to Anders? Why would you do that?" Jan Di almost slapped herself on the forehead.

"I didn't mean to." Ga Eul rolled her eyes. "Anders was picking me up from work and he just showed up!" Ga Eul applied the lotion sample to the back of her hand. She was splurging on Jan Di at Etude since her best friend still refused to let her chaebol boyfriend indulge her in girly things. "I was shocked, Jan Di! You should see him. He looks so different." Ga Eul grumbled, "but he acted the same."

"Ga Eul," Jan Di grabbed her friend's hand, "Yi Jeong said that he'd return for you after he was done with his studies in Sweden. You didn't talk about that? What about Anders?"

"Nothing's changed. Yi Jeong's just back." Ga Eul kept her voice level.

Jan Di looked at the little frown line in her friend's face. Ga Eul had met Yi Jeong in the middle of Jan Di's whirlwind romance with her now fiancee, Jun Pyo. In the middle of family Kang drama and her drama with Jun Pyo's best friend, Ji Hoo, she barely paid attention to the crush that Ga Eul was nursing for Yi Jeong. Jan Di mused as she played with a row of shiny lipstick. She thought that her best friend was too smart to get involved with the likes of Yi Jeong. Even though Ga Eul had explained the whole Eun Jae situation to her, she thought the entire relationship was wrapped in warning signs. Jan Di sighed. It was so easy to be clear outside of a relationship. After Jan Di heard about the four year promise, it made Jan Di even more nervous, that her lovely Ga Eul was expecting something as fragile as spoken words to sustain her for years. She didn't want to see Ga Eul's heart broken, because when Ga Eul decided something, she would see it through to the end. Ga Eul had dated other men, mainly to appease her mother. As soon as they started staking their claim on her, Ga Eul would push them away, firmly and directly.

"I guess you don't love him anymore." Jian Di watched her friend closely.

"No. I don't." Ga Eul pressed her lips into a thin line. "Let's talk about something else."

Jan Di grabbed a liquid eyeliner and quickly applied the little brush to Ga Eul's eyes.

"Otoke, Jan Di! What-" Ga Eul was flabbergasted, but when she opened her eyes, Jan Di had painted seriously seductive cat eyes. It looked professional. Ga Eul grinned at her reflection.

"How did you get so good at that?"

Jan Di shrugged. "Eyeliner is nothing compared to stitching up people. Besides, you need to be made up for Yi Jeong's welcome home party tonight."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought you might not come if I gave you too much time to think about it." Jan Di waggled her eyebrows at her friend.

Ga Eul looked down at her work clothing. She groaned. "If there's any young guys there, they'll know I'm a teacher." Her school appropriate outfit was going to stick out like a sore thumb at any nightclub. She stretched out her hands helplessly.

Jan Di burst out laughing at the image of Ga Eul, the good school teacher, running away from a pack of boys.

"Oh Miss Ga Eul, teach me something new!" Jan Di giggled as Ga Eul retaliated with perfume attacks. "C'mon Ga Eul. Yi Jeong's been gone for four years. We're getting the old gang back together. Please come. Just for me." Jan Di thought to herself that Ga Eul must still have feelings for Yi Jeong if she cared about what she wore.

"Besides," Jan Di playfully batted her lashes, "you look more like a teacher of adult subjects with that eyeliner." She yelped as Ga Eul threw her mittens at her head.

After a few more transformative minutes at the mirror, Jan Di grabbed Ga Eul and hustled her into the waiting limo. Ga Eul sighed. There was no way out now. Ga Eul slumped against the soft leather and closed her eyes, steeling herself.

Yi Jeong's welcome party was at Sinsa, a stupidly big mega club that Ga Eul had long since out grown. There was the same group of rich snotty kids except they were all older now or married. Ga Eul heard a screechy voice and turned towards it. Her eyes landed on the back of a girl wearing a rubber dress. Ga Eul rolled her eyes as she watched the girl laugh like an airhead and wiggle her hips. She was about to turn away when the airhead realized that her antics weren't working and huffed off. Ga Eul laughed to herself silently. At least some men had taste. She turned back to see who was the unsuccessful target.

It was Yi Jeong.

A/N - please continue to read the rest of chapter 3 at: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8663756/3/Love-and-Luck. If you so inclined, leave a review and I will update the chapters more frequently.

Thanks for reading!