Final

The Final Painting

2,606 words

It was a cool Saturday evening. Fluffy, white clouds blanketed the skies. It was a perfect day. There hadn’t been rain in two days but the vegetation was still lush and green as if it had. Lee Howon also known as Hoya the incarnation of Picasso made his way down the dirt road leading up to his house. He clutched firmly to his sketch pad, paint brushes and collection of paints as his feet met with the unstable ground. Hoya had always enjoyed the uneven landscape of his home. He would find many hidden wonders to which he would occupy himself recreating with brush and smears. Hoya lived alone with his mother, Mrs. Lee in a small house just up the road. As a child, Hoya’s mother discovered an interesting fact about her son, he was skilled at painting. From then Hoya was given the opportunity of attending art classes to which he quickly dropped out of. Hoya’s mother was not pleased at her son’s decision but after hearing his reason and seeing his own designs she exempted the behavior.

Hoya 10 Years

Hoya kept his eyes to the skies. He watched as the white fluffs floated to anywhere and everywhere. Hoya had always dreamt of painting the skies but he would always be occupied with other natural wonders of the world. Hoya’s house was located a few meters from an orphanage. As a break Hoya would usually sit with the other children and play games until it was time to head home. It was Hoya’s 10th birthday and his only wish was to spend the entire day with the children of the orphanage. Arriving at the orphanage Hoya was met with an unfamiliar face. Sitting away from everyone else was a boy not too far from Hoya’s age with a pained expression. Hoya watched as the boy sat unmoving with his back turned towards his direction. “Mrs. Cho, who is that person sitting over there?” Hoya asked pointing in the direction of the boy. “Oh he’s new here and won’t tell us his name despite all our efforts.” Hoya nodded in understanding before standing up and walking towards the boy.

“Um…hi what’s your name?” Hoya asked trying to get a glimpse of the boy’s face. Getting no answer Hoya decided on ways to make the boy comfortable enough to open up. Taking a deep breath Hoya moved to the front of the boy and sat quietly. “Wow you’re really cute!” he exclaimed while carefully observing the boy’s face. “T-Thanks.” Hoya was shocked that he had even gotten a response for a moment before sliding closer to the boy. “I’m Hoya by the way. And you are?” Hoya hoped he could get another response out of the boy and surely he did. “M-My name is…M-Myungsoo, Kim Myungsoo.” Hoya beamed at the progress he was making and quickly took to asking more question. Despite the awkward air around the two, Hoya could tell the boy was slowly becoming comfortable with his presence. After a few minutes of talking, Hoya had learned quite a number of things about Myungsoo. He learned that when Myungsoo was only five his parents left him all alone in their small house. After that Myungsoo took to caring for himself until it became too difficult.

After talking for what seemed like forever, Hoya finally bid farewell to the children of the orphanage as well as his new best friend Myungsoo. Overtime their relationship grew and Myungsoo would accompany Hoya whenever he went in search of new inspirations. It was a rainy Sunday evening. Hoya made his way up the muddy path of the orphanage stopping before the small warn out wooden door. As Hoya was about to knock on the door, the wooden structure flew open revealing a smiling Myungsoo. “Hoya!” he exclaimed excitedly before wrapping his arms around the other’s neck. Hoya smiled sweetly before removing the eager arms from around his neck. “You’re awfully happy to see me today.” Hoya teased earning a smack on the arm. “Silly! I’m always excited to see you. So…what are you doing here?” Hoya stared back at the younger before realization dawned on him. “Oh right, I came here to ask you if you wanted to accompany me on another adventure.” Myungsoo’s eyes sparkled with excitement before he ran into the house. “Let me ask Mrs. Cho.”

Hoya 12 Years

Hoya made his way into the small building. He smiled at the other children who were occupied with board games and crayons. It had been a while since Hoya had last spent time with them and he was feeling a bit guilty. The day after meeting Myungsoo, Hoya’s only concern had been him. His mind constantly set on the younger, wondering what he was up to, if he ate, if he played recently, if he cried as well as other things. Hoya was snapped out of his revere when Myungsoo linked arms with him. “I can go, but Mrs. Cho is worried about the weather.” Hoya stared back at Myungsoo before his attention was drawn to the caretaker of the orphanage. “Hoya, Myungsoo be careful okay. I don’t want you two getting into any accidents.” Myungsoo and Hoya both nodded before waving goodbye to the woman. “So what’s your inspiration? The rain?” Myungsoo asked after a few minutes of walking. Hoya beamed at the younger before extending his palm to nowhere in particular. “No but now that you mention it, I think I will do a painting depicting rain.”

The atmosphere was still gloomy with cool wisps of air blowing past their faces. Myungsoo sat snuggled in his sweater while his eyes observed the figure a few meters away from him. “What exactly are you painting Hoya?” he asked after a few minutes of trying to peer at the other’s work. Hoya chuckled before plunging his paint brush into the bottle of water now brown from all the mixture of colors. “Myung you know I won’t tell or show you until it’s finished, why do you bother to ask?” he said with an amused toned. Myungsoo pouted at the response before standing up and strolling over to his friend. “Well I’m tired of that, I really want to see-ooh…so beautiful!” he exclaimed leaning forward to observe the art work even more. Hoya sighed at the other before resting the paint brush on the stand. “Do you really like it? I mean, you don’t think its look odd?” he asked nibbling on his lower lip waiting for a response from Myungsoo. “I think it’s beautiful, just like its creator.” Hoya blushed at the statement before turning his body to face Myungsoo. Getting the attention of him, Hoya reached out wrapping his arms around his waist, “you think I’m beautiful Myung?” Myungsoo nodded at the question before placing a kiss to Hoya’s hair. “Very beautiful.”

Hoya and Myungsoo sat side by side watching as more thick grey clouds merged together. It was about to rain again but neither of them cared enough to move. “So I’m beautiful huh?” Hoya teased turning to Myungsoo who stared at him annoyed. “Not anymore!” he huffed pushing Hoya away from him. “Not anymore? What changed?” Hoya asked now pouting at the younger. Myungsoo sighed before reaching over to brush a few strands of hair away from Hoya’s eyes. “You’re not cute anymore because I said so.” Hoya giggled at the silly reason before rolling closer to Myungsoo, “well I still think you’re cute and will stay cute forever!” Myungsoo shot the elder a glare before sticking out his tongue. “Whatever you say Hoya, whatever you say.” After spending a few more minutes out, both boys could feel the sprinkle of new coming rain. “Aish! What a mood killer!” Myungsoo grumbled before pulling Hoya to his feet. “Need help?” he asked after dusting the dirt off his jeans. Hoya nodded in confirmation before handing Myungsoo his tray of colors and bundle of paint brushes.

Somewhere along the way after dropping Myungsoo off Hoya was left with no other choice but to run for his life or at least to save his painting. He was determined not to let his master piece be ruined only because a certain person called it beautiful. “Howon! Look at you! Come in quickly before you catch a cold!” his mother yelled after noticing her soaked son. Hoya nodded before pulling off his drenched shoes and throwing it to the side. He quickly made his way to his room to set his painting to dry properly. “Maan! I’ve smudged you.” Hoya pouted looking at an area on the picture with a smudge clearly evident.  He ran his fingers through his damp hair as he surveyed to damage. “I hope I can still save you.” he whispered before turning on his heels and marching to the bathroom to take a shower. “Mom, I painted a new picture but sadly it’s a bit ruined because of the rain.” Mrs. Lee could tell that her son was displeased with what happened but there wasn’t much she could do about it. “I’m sure you can fix it baby. Don’t ponder too much on it. I’m sure it’s still beautiful aside from it being partially ruined.” Hoya shrugged at his mother before walking into the living room.

Hoya 18 Years

“I can’t believe you’re famous!” Myungsoo yelled a little too loud for Hoya’s liking. “Aish Myungsoo calm down! Besides it’s not a big deal. I’m not even sure I want to go aboard.” Myungsoo furrowed his brows at his friend before smacking him lightly on the head. “Lee Howon this is a once in a lifetime chance! Don’t be a moron and pass it up!” Hoya was taken aback by Myungsoo’s outburst but regained his composure enough to form a smirk. “Myung, you want me to go so badly?” he asked raising an eyebrow. Myungsoo nibbled on his lower lip at the question before turning away briefly. “Of course not! But I mean this is your future we’re talking about here. Why play with it?” Hoya stared sadly at the other before wrapping his arms around his torso. “But you’re my future Myung.” He pouted burying his face in Myungsoo’s chest. Myungsoo smiled sweetly at Hoya’s words before returning the hug. “I’m glad you think that but I really think you should take advantage of this opportunity. Look at it this way. When you have your flashy art gallery set up, you can invite me as a VVIP to see it.” Hoya looked up after hearing Myungsoo statement and he couldn’t help but smile. “I like that idea but I won’t invite you as a VVIP.” Myungsoo stared puzzled at his words but couldn’t think further when soft lips met his.

Airport Scene

Hoya gripped firmly to Myungsoo’s shirt as the time for departure neared. He was on the brink of tears but the sight of Myungsoo’s encouraging smile kept him together. “Make me proud Hoya, and your mother and everyone else at the orphanage.” Hoya nodded before wrapping his arms around Myungsoo’s small frame. “Myung, you seem smaller. Are you losing weight?” Hoya asked a bit concerned after releasing his grip on the other. Myungsoo stared back blankly at him before bringing his hand up to his lips. “It’s nothing just concentrate on succeeding okay?” Before Hoya could respond a woman’s voice boomed through the speakers alerting Hoya that he had to board. “Promise me that one day you’ll take me to see your gallery.” Myungsoo said after blinking away tears. Hoya smiled bringing his hand to cup Myungsoo’s cheek, “I promise, but you have to promise me you’ll wait no matter how long it takes.” Myungsoo peered at the floor before nodding, “I pro…mise…” he whispered but was cut by the reminder of the flights again. “Aish I have to leave now. See you soon Myung.” Hoya mouthed before running towards his designated area.

5 Years After: Hoya 23 Years

“What a beauty.”

“Wonderfully detailed.”

“I’ve never seen something so beautiful.”

“Such fine art.”

“This really is the highlight of the pieces.”

I wonder who this person is. Maybe someone of great importance.”

He walked quietly through the room filled with compliments and unanswered questions. The crisp, blue pin striped, suit with dazzling sliver buttons and cufflinks showing how much he had conquered. He surveyed the room noting the happy faces of the people around. Greeting a few known persons he made his way to the highlight of his works. “Why didn’t you tell m-me?” He choked out holding back a sob. His eyes roamed over the canvas at the splash of colors and intricate . Caught in the moment he failed to notice the person beside him. “Such a beautiful face. Mr. Lee what inspired you to paint him?” The question came as a shock to him but after living aboard for 5 years professionalism was something you learned. Glancing up at the picture once more he couldn’t hold back the tear drop that escaped and rolled down his cheeks. “Love.” Was the only response given before he walked away. It was closing time for the gallery and everyone had already left. Hoya quietly closed the doors behind his visitors before walking up to that picture. “The only piece I treasure more than any other in my collection.” He whispered before dropping to his knees finally allowing himself to burst into tears.

Flash Back

“Hello? Mother?” he asked a bit surprised at the sudden call. Hoya had been occupied with his brushes once again. He wasn’t at all pleased living aboard since inspiration came but once in a while. He had painted numerous works of art but somehow he still felt incomplete. Continuing his talk with his mother, Hoya’s bright smile faltered when a string of words met his ears. “Howon, Myungsoo…past away.” The words came like a brick to his face causing him to drop the brush that he was holding. Hoya was so taken at the words that he didn’t realize he had began crying. Mustering all the strength he could to speak he was able to voice out a question. “How?” After hearing the explanation Hoya knew he couldn’t continue speaking. Saying goodbye to his mother, Hoya dropped to his knees throwing his phone in a random direction. His chest heaved as he gasped for breath. Tears poured from his eyes as the words repeated in his mind, “He was ill ever since he first came to the orphanage. His body finally gave up and…”

End of Flash Back

Staring at the droplets on the wooden floor Hoya remained silent. He raised his hand to his chest clutching his heart while his other hand pulled out a small, black, velvet box. Biting his lower lip to hold himself from breaking down again, Hoya released his shirt and clenched the small box as more tears accumulated at the rim of his eyes. “Myung, you were supposed to wait for me. You were my future Myun-” choking on the last word Hoya slowly opened to the box revealing a thick gold wedding ring. The object glistened under the light of the room illuminating five words. ‘I Love You Kim Myungsoo.’ Closing back to box, Hoya shakily lifted himself off the floor and walked towards the picture. He smiled weakly before reaching out tracing his fingers over the rough canvas. “I love you Myung, I never got to tell you that, but I hope you can hear me despite the distance.” Blinking the last tear Hoya walked away from the picture and out the gallery doors.

A/N: Hope you all liked it :) Hope it made you cry because I was going for that :D Should I make an alternative ending? Hmmm......oh well maybe I might maybe I might not. Thanks for reading, and be sure to comment. Please NO silent readers :( I really like feedback. Bye