Chapter 1

Summer's Awakening

"Is this how it is?

is this how it feels to die?"

I can feel my breath slowly leaving me, people around me are shouting something but all I hear are buzzes, I can't seem to understand anything that they are saying.

Old memories are playing in my head like an old film, only, it was clearer. Flashing inside my head one by one.. 

My parents memories, just before they died..

My childhood..

Father..

Mother..

I'm so sorry, I wasn't able to avenge your deaths..

Appa Kwon..

Yuri..

Noona...

Sorry... Sorry.. I wasn't able to protect you guys.. 

 

Noona....

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

'twas the first day of the schoolyear, my last year in college when I saw her again, a glimpse actually, but I was really sure it was her.

That snub look, those spacey eyes and that majestic aura that surrounds her.

"NOOONA! HEY! HEY!"

But as much as I shout at her, she still didn't noticed me, didn't even look or glance at me,  she just keeps on going, books on her hands and a bag on  her shoulder, she just kept on walking straight through the campus' door.

"YA! Choi Sooyoung! what happened to you, who are you shouting at?" 

"Well, uhm. I thought I saw, noona"

"Sica unnie?? hmm.. I thought she's in America for good? oh come on, maybe you're just imagining her, that's impossible right? for her to be in Korea right now? "

"erm. right"

That's Yuri, my best friend, we've been friends since I can't remember when. 

Even before the death of my parents, she's always been there, I can't seem to imagine a time in my life without her, we grew up together, she and I.

Just like Bonnie and Clyde we're inseparable, even the people around us who have known us for so long are so amazed by our bond, some of them even call us SooRi.

But there was actually a time when there were still three of us, Yuri, me and, Sica.

Noona, I mean Sica is three years older than me and Yuri, but because all three of us used to live in the same neighborhood and because our parents knew each other, it was just normal that all three of us have become friends. We were the three inseparable kids, we used to roam our neighborhoods and look for new adventures every day, like crossing the stream near the outskirts of our neighborhood, going inside an abandoned house and so on.  We were so carefree then, before my parents death.

A year before the death of my parents, Sica's family went to America due to her father's work. For good.

We never heard anything about her again, except for the time when my parents died and she sent me a letter of condolence and asked how I was, how I was coping and all, she also asked about Yuri and so on, but after that, she never wrote again. 

'Ya! Choi Sooyoung! It's almost time for our 1st subject! Hurry up now! you don't want to start on a wrong footing on the first day of our last year in college right?"

"Oh! right! yeah yeah! coming!