This is how we first met

Love that was never meant

Text in Blue - Dialogue in Korean


12:00pm, Sep 05 2010, LAX
 
"Bye Mom! Bye Dad! Don't worry, I'll be back soon!" I shouted and waved at them before entering the immigration gate. 
 
I looked at my ticket and smiled. Seoul, here I come!
 
Since it was still early, I bought my favourite drink, Green Tea Latte and sat down at Starbucks. Finally this day has come. I have always wanted to go to Seoul to learn about the language, the culture and everything. My interest started out because of the awesome drama; i.e. autumn in my heart. From then on, I have watched countless of Korean dramas. After half a year of preparation and persuading my parents, I can finally go to Seoul and spend a year there. Nothing beats such happiness. I do feel a little scared as I cannot speak their language. This is the reason why I am going there to learn the language. The only words I know are those common ones used in dramas. 
 
"Passengers taking KE678 to Seoul-Incheon, please note the change of gate for boarding." 
 
I looked up as though what I heard earlier was meant for me. I waited for the repeat of the announcement earlier. But I guess it was played twice since there wasn't any after 10 minutes. I walked to the nearest departure display screen to look for my gate details. "Goodness gracious! It changed and it is at the other end of the terminal!" I gasped. So my ears did not play a trick to me. It was about 40 minutes before boarding.
 
I held on to my bag as I ran through people as if I was participating in the Amazing Race show. Before I knew it, I bumped into a guy and fell forward. If not for my bag who shielded me from the ground, my face would have been inches away from the floor. The guy kneeled down, grabbed one of my arms and asked, "Gwaenchana?" I turned to him. He was wearing shades and a cap. In my mind, I thought, "Korean guy?" Realizing that he was in a foreign country, he said to himself, "Aish! Pabo!" and then asked me if I was okay in English. Due to the sudden impact, I was in a dazed for a few seconds before I could reply that I was fine. He held out his other hand and told me to hold it so he could help me up. I held his hands as I stood up. I felt embarrassed and shy at the same time. I did not dare to look at my surroundings as I was afraid I had caused a small commotion. Once I was on my feet, I brushed off the dirt from my clothes and thanked him.
 
At this moment, someone shouted, "Yah! Donghae, Palli! Gaja!" He shouted back, "Arasseo! I'll catch up with you guys soon!" Yes, I could understand what that guy said to him but his reply was totally foreign to me. He turned around and we faced each other for a moment. I couldn't see his eyes beneath his shades. However, I just felt that something wanted to come out from this short encounter. Since there was an awkward silence between us, I decided to speak up first. 
 
"Erm, thanks for your help once again. I'm fine. You may go now" I said shyly. 
 
"Are you sure? No signs of dizziness or anything like that?" He asked with concern.
 
"Yes, I'm really fine." I assured him. My eyes went wide opened as I looked at the huge clock on the wall and realized how much time was wasted since I fell. "I need to catch a flight! Thank you and I guess we won't see each other again right, Mr. Stranger." I chuckled and smiled.
 
"Well, I guess so." He smiled back.
 
We went separate ways. I stood in front of the display screen and looked at my gate number again. It appeared as "Final call". I quickly make my way to the boarding area. My name was being announced over the PA system. Once again, I was embarrassed. Why are all the bad things happening to me now? The staff asked if I was the person they are waiting for, I nodded. Therefore, I cleared security pretty fast and ended up in my seat. I looked out of the window as the plane took off, "Goodbye LA!" 
 
13 hours later, Sep 06 2010 6pm KST
 
What a long flight to Korea, I thought. I felt a little jet lagged so I waited for most of the passengers to leave before getting off the plane. I do not like to wait and squeeze with people. I bought a drink from the vending machine and walked slowly towards the immigration section. I looked at all the sign boards along the way and reality struck me. Gosh, I am in a foreign country right now. I could only speak English and a little of Mandarin. I am an American-born Chinese and my parents are Taiwanese. I read somewhere that Mandarin could be of good use in Korea, well hopefully I guess. 
 
There were many people at the baggage claim area. At one corner, these groups of people were wearing masks, shades, caps or any combination of either 2. Are they sick or this is the fashion trend? Then it struck me that they might be celebrities or idols. I won't go crazy unless it is Song Seung Heon. I saw my luggage approaching so I reached for it. At the same time, I felt a hand grabbing my hand together with the luggage holder. I was shocked that I almost let go of the luggage. I turned to the stranger and said, "Isn't this mine?"When I faced him, I was even more surprised. It is him, the Korean guy I bumped into at LAX. Wow, what a coincidence! Why didn't it dawn on me that he might be taking the same flight since he is a Korean? From his facial expression, I could tell that he did not recognize me. I heard some whisperings behind us. "Lucky girl, our Oppa touched her hand!" It came from a group of young girls. I did not know what they were saying. 
 
"Yah! Donghae! Your luggage is here, not that one!" One of the guys shouted.
 
This Korean guy nodded with acknowledgement to the guy who shouted. He then helped me placed the luggage on my trolley. "Mianhamnida." He apologized and bowed before walking away.
 
He did not recognize me. Well, it doesn't matter anyway. And what were the girls whispering about? I snapped out of my daze and walked towards the exit. Wow, there were so many people with fan boards. So those groups of people are really idols. There were English words on several boards and it read, "Super Junior, Saranghae." Oh, Super Junior. I do not know who is in the group but I have heard of the name before. Their song "Sorry Sorry" was kind of a hit song in my country.
 
I was not ready for this scene with the huge crowd and screaming fans. Thus, I quickly leave the area and took a taxi to the serviced apartment that I rented. I met the owner at the entrance of the building. He was there to welcome me. He explained to me everything I needed to know in English and signed a couple of documents before leaving me with the keys. I settled in and unpacked my luggage. The place looks decent and cozy enough for one person to live in.
 
The next day, I went to Seoul National University to settle my admission stuff for the language course and applied for Foreign Alien Social Security number. I needed that to get a mobile phone here as well as other important stuff. For the first three days, I was running errands and ensuring everything is smooth for my 1 year stay here in Seoul. Finally I am done and have spare time to walk around.
 
The language course will only start in two weeks time. I came here earlier to do some orientation of the city itself. Walking along Cheonggye stream, I fall in love with this place even more. It is so beautiful and peaceful. There are couples everywhere, every few steps away, you will find them. Although I envy them, I still pretty much love being alone. It has been like that for 23 years and still ongoing. I looked up to the starry night sky and smiled to myself.
 
2 months later
 
I could read, write and speak a little Korean which I think I am progressing quite well. My teacher told us to find a Korean pen pal so as to improve our language and at the same time get to know the culture through a local. I thought it was a great idea. When did I last have a pen pal? I think it was probably years ago when I was still a kid. Do people still do such thing these days? I shall post online to try my luck and hopefully I can get to know a nice person. 
 
That night I posted a notice and waited for a reply. No response came. Just before I go to bed, I checked my inbox. It says, "You have one new message". Oh my goodness, could it be my pen pal? I jumped up and sat up straight to read the email.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Foreign Student
Hello! How yo’ doin’?
(I chuckled at this part. Seriously?)
 
I was looking for a non-Korean pen pal and saw your notice. It seems like we matched each other both ways. I would like to improve my English and I could help you in your Korean. 
 
(In my mind, I was thinking whether the person is a he or a she. Will he or she be a psycho or something?) 
 
But I have a request. I actually prefer to write via snail mail. Also, can we keep ourselves anonymous? Thus, shall we get a PO.BOX? 
 
(When I read this part, I was like "what?!" This person wants to be anonymous and we have to get a PO Box? Well, it does help a little on being anonymous but if one really wants to check out who the PO Box belongs to, it is possible. Moreover, I have to spend extra to get a PO Box? This is ridiculous.) 
 
Well, if it is not possible, then I guess we do not have to be pen pals.
Hope you understand.
Thank you.
Anonymous 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I was pretty skeptical about this person. Then again, it might be beneficial to me too because I do want to be anonymous. I am pretty shy so the idea of me not having to meet this person eventually sounds good. 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Anonymous
안녕하세요!
What a strange request you have! This is the first time I encounter this. 
I am okay with the idea. So once I get my PO Box address, I will give it to you. 
Till then, bye! =P
Foreign Student
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I am not sure why did I added the tongue sticking face at the last part. I was feeling pretty excited and happy about this whole pen pal thing. I guess I have to make a trip.to the post office tomorrow. 
 
I wasn’t that eager to make this pen pal therefore 2 days later, I left a message.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Anonymous,
My PO Box is XXX.
Looking forward to your mail! :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 

To be continued...

 

AN: Sorry for any mistakes. No time to edit much. Thank you for reading! =D

♥ HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEE DONGHAE oppa! 
Hope you have an awesome time on your special day! 
 
# and #HappyUriFishyDay are trending TTWW!!!