Chapter 1

Wanted: The President's Diary

 

A/N: This is more like the continuation of the forewords. :)

 

 

October 10

Junghee’s in detention again. This isn’t really surprising since the detention room is like her fortress. They came in class late—Junghee with her sassy friend Gwiboon, a girl so fashionably inclined that she wears her own “chic” version of our uniform every Friday—but that’s not the reason why they got in detention, it isn't Friday. Junghee was caught sleeping (she’s often caught sleeping during Algebra or Biology class) and Gwiboon was chewing this bubble gum, quite “ungracefully.” I’m pretty sure I’m not imagining the popping sounds I hear every 3 minutes.

When Mr. Han ordered them to get out in his class, I turned to look at Junghee lazily scooping up her things on the table (magazines, pressed-powder, and stuff insignificant to education). She yawned as she started making a retreat to their Fortress. But before she could close the door, she smirked at our professor and then, for a moment, her eyes landed on me. She winked at me and I think I successfully managed to keep a stern face. The laugh I heard after she closed the door makes me think that she saw the treacherous rush of blood that crept through my ears and neck.

I think I need to discuss this type of student attitude with the Vice President and Secretary. And I think I need to discuss this weird―and wrong—burgeoning attraction towards this girl with my psychiatrist. But since I don’t have a psychiatrist, I’d probably have to tell this to Taemin soon. I don’t even know how he’ll react when he finds out I have a crush on her.

 

“Are you ing kidding me?”Taemin deadpans. “You. A crush on Kim Jung―”

“Shhh! Taemin, don’t you dare say her name!” Jinki whispered loudly, his hand making its way to keep the younger’s mouth shut.

“But hyung—“ Taemin manages to free himself from the confines of Jinki’s hand and stubby fingers, “She’s the last person you would ever have a crush on!”

“Um,” Jinki calmly raises his hand to argue with Taemin’s statement, “Gwiboon would be the last person I would have a crush on.”

“Point taken, but hyuuuung…”

“Taemin, don’t get all whiny on me.” Jinki sighs, his hand making its way to massage his temples, “You know me, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the type of person who would be captivated by her personal magnetism. But Taemin, I can’t ignore this, and I can’t lie to myself, and I honestly cannot believe this is happening.”

“Maybe she’s a witch. Like the girl from Dark Shadows, you know that movie? Yeah. Maybe she used some sort of spell on you.” Jinki rolls his eyes, sitting on the couch with an air of absolute defeat. “Hyung, what if she turns you into a vampire?”

“You’re getting out of hand, Taemin.”

“Okay but when did this happen?”

“I was her tutor for three days, remember? I think she’s stupid, you know Algebra isn’t really that complicated―”

“Easy for you to say,” Taemin scoffs.

“Okay, but knowing the basics isn’t really that complicated.” Jinki sighs, “She always wears this droopy kind of eyes every time I tutor her, and then she would talk about other things, some girl stuff I’m not even interested about, and then she would talk about life, and sometimes I just hear her talk and everything sounds pointless. But, one day, I tried to actually listen to her and then, I realize, it actually makes sense.

“And the more I hear her voice the more I realize how beautiful it sounds. Like that one time while she was waiting for me at the library, reading some girl magazine instead of studying Algebra, I can hear her sing and it’s music, Taemin. It’s not pointless, it’s actually music. You know how I always have a passion for music, right? Just like how you always have a passion for watching movies other than dancing.”

“Hey!” Taemin protests at that last sentence, he doesn’t get a reaction from Jinki, though. So he sits down beside him, pats him on the shoulder, and smiles at him like a good kid.

“You look so helpless, it’s amusing.” Taemin says. Jinki immediately frowns at him, the former laughs because every kind of expression Jinki throws away looks absolutely silly and funny for the younger.

“You sound like a cheese ball. But I think you really like her.” Taemin rubs a finger on his chin in a thinking fashion, “Alright, I’ll help you since I’m such a good friend. Where do you think you left it?”

“At the classroom, the faculty, or the library.” Jinki says, “But I’ve already checked the classroom, asked our teachers and the librarian if they found any weird-looking notebook, and I even asked the janitor, went through the Lost and Found!” Jinki exclaims.

“Alright alright, calm down, hyung. I’ll help you look for it tomorrow.” Taemin looks at the window, they sky is dyed in hues of orange, pink, and violet, it’s nearing sundown. And then he turns at the dismayed look of Jinki, he sees food fights, bubble gums sticking underneath the tables, and an army of bullies and girls like Gwiboon. Right now, he’s probably upset about a lot of things. Things such as, 1) His diary is missing, 2) He likes Junghee and/or, 3) His hanky is missing. He figures, Jinki should really get back in good condition lest the school might roll back in crisis.

“Let’s just hope it’s in good hands.”