In a Blink of Memories

Beautiful Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Jieun laid on her bed, greedily in the limited oxygen around her without stabbing her lungs. She was conscious - she knew this well enough to be able to open her eyes - but was she going to die? She knew she was breathing, and she suspected herself that if she was able to breath, then everything was fine. Her vision suddenly became a blur from… from what? Her tears? Her own blood? 

"She's dying!" someone yelled. A wave of electricity ran through her veins as her chest lifted themselves upward. 

Ow. The shocking pain was unbelievable. Her eyes had rolled backwards, unable to absorb the pain. She felt her heart beat ecstatically, as if it were ready to pop out of her chest and run away. She felt something damp wipe her forehead, which she realized was trickling with blood.

"How long do we have until we reach the hospital?" the same voice asked.

"Around ten minutes, sir," another voice replied. She heard a frustrated and disappointed sigh.

"That's bad. By then she might die. We need to get her straight into the emergency room and proceed with an emergency surgery," the doctor announced. She felt a heavy mask cover her burning lips. It was much easier to breathe, yet her broken bones stll stabbed her lungs. 

This would be a good time to have some support from Junho, Jieun thought. At that very moment, she paused. Where's Junho?

Her heart began to panic, and she could care less about how terrible the pain was. She realized that the man she had been with only seconds ago had disappeared from her side. Comfort faded and her anxiety increased. Her heart beat accelerated, and that was when the doctor started to scream in strict, yet calm manner.

"She's dying! Her heart rate is accelerating too fast in her condition!" the doctor shouted.

This is killing me! Jieun wanted to scream. She no longer cared whether or not if she wanted to live. All she cared about was where her husband was and if he was okay. I just fought with him, too…

"Lee Jieun?"

"Yes?"

"We've been together for quite some years. Would you be the honor of being my wife until I die?"

"Oh my gosh… Of course, Junho!"

Jieun lifted her chest, hoping that her heart would slow down or at least the pain she felt in her rib cage would ease. Instead, she felt a bone poke her lungs and Jieun almost screamed. Instead, her hands clenched into a tight fist, holding in the tough pain.

"How many more minute until we get into the hospital?" 

"Five."

"Alright. Call Dr. Kim and tell him to save a room. She's in critical condition," the doctor replied. He flicked his hand as the other man dressed in white turned his body around to have a short phone call. 

If only… If only I hadn't met him… Jieun told herself. Her mind was full of regret and guilt as she felt time turn back to the one who had caused everything: Kim Myungsoo.

"So you're my apartment neighbor?"

"I guess so."

"We ought to get to know each other. My name is Kim Myungsoo, planning to be the school's most popular man."

"Lee Jieun, a woman who dreams to become the perfect bride."

Junho… I miss you, she cried. By now her oxygen mask had become foggy with her breath and tears began to stream down the side of her head. The salty water stung her wounds, and it caused Jieun to flinch. Her brown eyes dimly glowed under the single light bulb above her, but the light bulb had disappeared once she realized that she was being pulled out of the van. A flash of bright sunlight almost blinded her before they were shaded by the hospital's ceilings.

"Hang in there, miss. Stay strong," the doctor encouraged. Two nurses quickly rushed by the doctor's side, pulling the trolley past room by room. By now, Jieun found it harder to tell if she was breathing or not.

If only I had listen to what Junho was trying to tell me…

"Junho, did you see our neighbor?"

"We had a neighbor?"

"Yeah. He's really cool! He's attending the same college as we're attending. Isn't that amazing?"

"…But the neighbors moved two weeks ago. When did we have a neighbor?"

- - -

"Junho!"

"Yeah?"

"We should invite Myungsoo sometime. You know, to dinner."

"Who's Myungsoo?"

"Our neighbor, dummy! Oh gosh, you both go to work at the same time, but you guys don't meet each other? You guys work at the same coffee shop, for goodness sake! Junho, I think you're studying too much. You should take a break. I'll go buy us some cake or something."

"…There's no one named Myungsoo at our café, though…"

There was nothing wrong with you, Junho. You were perfect; you were pure. I shouldn't have doubted your memories or anything… 

"Sir, sir."

"What?"

"Her heart rate is decreasing. It's slower than an average person's heart rate."

"Holy moly."

"Doctor, is there anything wrong with his memories?"

"No, no. He's perfectly fine. His vision is great, too. Twenty out of twenty."

"Then what's wrong with him, doc? I invited my friend to dinner, but Junho wasn't able to see him."

"You're right. Junho wasn't able to see him. Here's the thing: he has perfect vision, he's mentally stable, and he's a healthy man."

"What are you saying, doctor?"

"I'm saying that there might be wrong with you. Do you mind if we run some test on you right now?"

Oh gosh, I don't want to live. I don't want to see someone who I can vividly imagine. I don't want to reunite with a man who doesn't exist. Junho, please come back. Please. I'm sorry for doubting you. Please… take me away from this place…

"Clear!"

Electricity pumped Jieun's chest, causing her to lift up from her uncomfortable position. She felt like her bones were like glass, brittle and sharp. Her muscles felt weaker than before, and she just couldn't support herself anymore. Her breath became slower, and she was ready. She was ready to move on to the next life.

"We are unable to do anything with Jieun right now. I'm sorr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter