A name

Fire & Water

    “I’m so sorry about your mother,” Heechul apologized as he stood in the glowing white garden of the Demi Gods and hugged Ryeowook goodbye.  “She died to prevent something that has already happened. It’s all my fault.”
 

     “Hyung, no.” Ryeowook interrupted. “It is not your fault that your father is a murderer. It’s not your fault that you fell in love.”
 

     “Will you be ok, Wookie-ah?” Heechul asked as they parted and Yesung and his two children entered the garden with their bags. “Are you sure it’s a good idea to leave?”
 

     “Yes, if I’m here your father will come looking for me.” Ryeowook explained. “If he comes here, he’ll find you. It’s too risky for me and my children. We have to go.”
 

     “What about your health? Isn’t the baby due soon?”
 

     “In the next couple of weeks, yes.” Ryeowook nodded, “I’ve been training Jongri on how to deliver the baby. Plus, if anything goes wrong, I can do it myself. Yesung-ah can channel my powers for me. Plus, Kangin hyung is coming to protect us, so he can help too.”
 

     “How long will you be gone?”
 

     “I don’t know,” Ryeowook shook his head. “It depends on what the Fire Lord decides to do next. It could be a long time before I see you again, hyung.”
 

     “But, what about my child?” Heechul panicked, his hand going to his swollen stomach beneath his long, red, robe as Hankyung and Donghae appeared next to him.
 

     “Uncle Donghae will be here for you,” Jongri smiled innocently. “Umma says that the father is very important during birth. If he’s not with you, it’s more painful.”
 

     “Shhh…, we talked bout this.” Ryeowook scolded his daughter, “Hankyung hyung is the father, not Donghae-ssi.”
 

     “No, that’s not right.” Jongri frowned.
 

    “I know, but you have to keep the truth a secret.” Yesung instructed her in a soft manner. “It’s dangerous.”
 

     “I understand, Appa.” Jongri nodded, moving to hug Heechul goodbye. “I’ll miss you Uncle Heechul. I really wanted to meet my new cousin.”
 

     “Wookie, wait.” Heechul called out as Ryeowook turned to leave. “If you’re not here to help me, how am I supposed to have this child?”
 

     “Normally, a fertility god to goddess extracts the child when it’s time. It’s a easy procedure, very little pain…, but…,”
 

    “But?”
 

    “Since me and my daughter are the only ones left that can do that, you’ll have to have the child naturally.” Ryeowook informed, almost apologetically. “I’m sorry, hyung.”
 

     “I need to lay down.” Heechul swooned, his head becoming light and his balance faltering.
 

     Both Hankyung and Donghae moved to catch the suddenly sick redhead, each ending up with one slender arm a piece. Donghae glared at Hankyung, as if to warn him to back off. Hankyung only looked back innocently.
 

    “Let Hae help me,” Heechul interrupted the staring contest in a weak voice. “It’s ok, Hannie. Everyone here knows the truth. There’s no need to pretend right now.”
 

     “I’m still your friend,” Hankyung declared as he stepped back and allowed Donghae to take Heechul into his arms and support him. “I can’t help but worry about you, Chulie.”
 

     “I’m just a bit overwhelmed right now,” Heechul reassured, the feeling of Hae’s warm arms around him making him feel safe and calm.
 

     “You don’t have to worry about the birth, Hyung.” Ryeowook began with a soft smile. “I left all my books with Leeteuk Hyung. He’s going to research the process and be there to deliver the baby when it comes. Leeteuk hyung’s a healer, remember?”
 

     “He’s a terrible healer!” Heechul exclaimed, “I cut myself once and all he could do was stop the bleeding for a few seconds. He’ll kill me!”
 

     “You’ll be fine,” Ryeowook argued, “As long as Donghae’s there with you, you’ll be fine. It’s important that you keep a connection with the father during the birth. His power and energy will help channel the pain and keep you both alive, understand. As long as Donghae is holding your hand, you’ll be ok.”
 

     “But, I don’t know what I’m doing.” Donghae added, “I’ve never been a part of a magical birth before.”
 

     “It’s simple,” Yesung reassured, “All you do is hold his hand and try and keep calm. Your emotional connection is really powerful during birth, so you have to make sure not to start screaming as well.”
 

     “There will be screaming?”
 

     “More than usual I’m afraid.” Wookie shrugged, “Natural birth without a fertility god present is really painful. I’ve only read about it in books. I really don’t know what will happen.”
 

      “How can you leave him alone like this?” Donghae scolded, causing tears to form in Ryeowook’s already red and puffy eyes. “He’s your friend. He could die!”
 

      “I’m sorry,” Ryeowook apologized, bursting into tears. “But, my mother was just taken from me and I will do anything to protect the little bit of family I have left. Staying here is too dangerous and I can’t take Heechul hyung with me. His father can sense his son, if he chooses. He’ll know where he is and find us.”
 

       “This is my fault,” Jongri sniffled from where she clung to Yesung’s side. “Uncle Heechul is in danger because of me. I just thought….,”
 

      “It’s not your fault, Jongri-ah.” Heechul soothed, “I’ll be alright. Don’t worry about me, ok?”
 

      “But….,”
 

     “Wookie-ah, go on.” Heechul smiled weakly, “Take your family to safety. I understand. We’ll figure things out here.”
 

     “Are you all ready to go?” Kangin questioned as he entered the garden, pulling his weapons trunk. “We should leave quickly before someone notices something.”
 

     “I’m so sorry,” Ryeowook apologized, giving Heechul one last hug before taking Yesung’s hand and leading his children from the garden.
 

     “It’s going to be alright, Chulie-ah.” Hankyung whispered as he observed the silent tears falling down his friend’s cheeks.
 

     “Could you give us a moment alone, Hannie-ah?” Heechul questioned, something deep inside him wanting badly to be held by the father of his child. “Please?”
 

     “Alright,” Hankyung agreed, “I’ll come get you when the weekly meeting is about to start. Leeteuk hyung wants everyone there this time.”
 

    “I need to sit down, Donghae-ah.” Heechul stated as Hankyung left the garden.
 

    “You’re frightened; I can feel it.” Donghae commented, helping the fire god in his embrace to sit beneath the large white tree he’d sat under with Eunhyuk the day before. “Could you really die having this child?”
 

     “I don’t know.” Heechul shook his head as Hae leaned against the base of the tree and pulled him back against his warm chest. “I’m a full God, unlike the others, so I’m sure my body can handle it better. It takes a lot to kill a God.”
 

     “But, there’s still a chance?”
 

    “Yes, there’s still a chance.” Heechul agreed, taking Hae’s hand and guiding it inside his robe and down to his stomach. “Touch me, Hae-ah. She likes it when you’re near. It helps calm me down.”
 

     “She’s grown a lot since last night,” Donghae observed, the swell of Heechul’s stomach a bit larger than he remembered from before.
 

     “She’s a month old this week.” Heechul smiled, “It still feels strange having a life inside me. I can’t get used to it.”
 

    “We haven’t given her a name yet, Heechul-ah.” Donghae whispered, Heechul's smooth skin warm beneath his palm. “Shouldn’t our daughter have a name?”
 

     “I haven’t really thought about it,” Heechul admitted, “I’ve been calling her Chulhae.”
 

     “I like that name.”
 

    “It’s not a name, Hae-ah. It’s a combination of our names I made up. It’s not a real name.”
 

     “If that’s what you’ve been calling her, then it is a real name. No one will have this name, but her.” Donghae argued, Heechul’s stomach lovingly. “Do you like that name, Chulhae?”
 

     Donghae’s words were met with a surge of heat under his palm and an overwhelming since of happiness.
 

    “She likes it,” Heechul chuckled, his fear pushed aside by the warmth within him. “I’m glad you’re here for me, Hae-ah. I know this is a lot to take in. If I were you, I’d of ran away screaming.”
 

    “I can’t run away. I don’t know how this realm works or how to leave it. Plus, I have nowhere else to go.”
 

    “And here I thought you stayed because of me…,” Heechul laughed, his voice full of sadness, something Donghae felt instantly inside himself.
 

     “Don’t be sad,” Donghae frowned, placing his hand along Heechul’s cheek and turning the fire god’s head to the side so he could look him in the eyes. “You’re the main reason why I’m here; you and Chulhae.”
 

    With those sweet words spoke, Hae leaned in and placed a gentle kiss on Heechul’s lips. The gentleness of the kiss helped quell the turmoil in Heechul’s heart. This moment was one he’d cherish forever; for once their daughter was born, all she would hold of her father would be his power and part of his name. Raising their child together was too dangerous. Hankyung would be Chulhae’s father and Donghae would have to fade into the background. It was what was best for everyone, even though it hurt them both deeply to do it.
 

    “I should go,” Heechul whispered as their lips parted. “The others will be looking for us. They can’t find me with you like this. It’s too dangerous.”
 

   “Alright,” Donghae agreed, standing up and helping Heechul to his feet. “I’ll walk you back to Hankyung.”
 

     “You can come visit me tonight after everyone goes to sleep, if you want.” Heechul offered, “I’ll save a spot for you under the covers.”
 

     Instead of answering with words, Donghae gave Heechul another gentle kiss, before leading him across the garden. There was no where else he’d rather sleep tonight. As the happy couple left the ethereal garden, the silvery leaves of the grand white tree shifted and a monkey dropped gracefully to the ground. Eunhyuk stared at his friends across the silver lawn, his head tilted to the side like a curious puppy. Had he heard everything right? Was Donghae the true father of Heechul’s child? Did that mean the prophecy was coming true?
 

    “I have to tell someone,”
 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

COMMENTS = FASTER UPDATES!