i

Just Like The Old Times

 

“We need to talk.” She said in a monotonous voice. Her eyes eluded mine, despite my attempts of doing a few so. Her petite body covered by a black, thick coat was almost shaking with the sudden drop of temperature since last three weeks. She hated fall and winter for many reasons. The little gap between her lips breathed out almost visible air. Her mittens that were colorfully painted in rainbow shades, the ones you barely see since she made it for herself, were in friction as she rubbed her palms to ease the coldness she was feeling.

I didn’t know why she suddenly wanted to talk to me. Wasn’t it was just four days after we broke up?

Lay, immediately felt the need of private space for both of us, easily packed up his guitar and left after a tap on my shoulder. “Keep cool and stay cool.” He whispered and sounded like a . His fading steps were the only noise we were hearing till a click from the door started the eerie, strange silence. Only the lights to the exit were lit and both of us were left in the bar. Well, except, of course, a number of waitresses and the manager. I looked down and simply checked my ticking watch, it was 3:47.

Waiting for me to finish fixing up my guitar, she leaned on one of the pillars and took out a box of cigar.

“Smoking is only allowed outside.” I said as I snatched the cancer stick from her fingers. She threw a glare on me but I didn’t budge and went straight to the rustic door. Her feet also followed my trail, heading to where I turn towards the exit way. I slowly crushed the stick on my left hand, making sure she won’t have it anymore. I carefully nudged the metal door to protect my precious guitar.

Gigs were a usual routine. Every Thursday night was a blast. We are all on our feet, in the stage, making people relaxed and all fired up at times. Since the bar wasn’t really a wild one (considering that they only offer mixed cocktails and expensive wines), the owner didn’t want their costumers to be kicked out in their asses just because they are all drunk.

I got to lean at the door for a moment. Till she walked passed me outside the bar. My body unexpectedly felt the chills of the early morning weather. I held on my hands together, trying to pass the warmth left on my body, but it was gone. I walked a little more with hands now in my pocket. I saw her with a glowing light between her thin pale lips. She was waiting for me.

“Do you know the reason why I broke up with you?” She started to inhale, the stick began to shorten and smoke was visible in my eyes. Without looking at me, her lips puckered and smoke was everywhere. I brought out my handkerchief, covering my mouth and nose from smelling and being a second-hand smoker. I hated the smoke, but not the smoker.

“Won’t you say something?” She hastily said as she finished a stick. Dropping the to the soil then stepping her black snicker on it. She is, really sometime crazy.

“Won’t you start so that I can go home?” I bluntly said, avoiding her stare.

“I almost forgot it’s your birthday.” She kept her cigarette box inside her sling bag. Pursing her lips as she rubbed her hands again, she handed me a little box.

I didn’t say anything. She remembered, yet almost forgotten my birthday. I couldn’t care less. The box was almost half of my hand only. It was color brown with a pink ribbon on it. I blinked and puffed air as I looked to my old motor. I am dead-tired and sleepy.

“I want you back, Chen-shi.”

“What?” I turned to her, surprised with the words she said. How could she broke up with me and want me back all of a sudden? Is she gone nuts? She told me I was a boyfriend. That I didn’t care for her at all. That I prioritize my band than anyone else, even my girlfriend.

“I said I want you back.”

“You’re wasting time, I have to go.”

I started walking to my motorcycle, trying to escape her. But a tiny voice was screaming, I wanted us to be back. My feet slowly paced the snowy grounds but I felt a strong clutch from my arm, my body spun and she, with tiptoes, let our lips meet. She gripped my neck, trying to sustain her position. I tasted the cigar, smelled the smoke and enjoyed her lips as I let her explore my mouth. We were like teenagers, who sneaked out from our rooms and had a few moments at wee hours.

This feeling was amusing.

This feeling was familiar.

This feeling was just like the old times.

 

 

 

My birthday wish came true.