A Winter Miracle

My White Christmas

 

 It was winter. Shinha’s favorite season. She loved seeing the white snow fall down slowly. She loved the way the snow twinkled. The way it fell onto her face. The way it was all so white and beautiful, but most of all, her birthday. She was born on the day before Christmas. That’s right; she’s a Christmas Eve baby. Some people say it to have your birthday on that day because you only get one present. A birthday and Christmas present combined. To her, that didn’t matter. She didn’t care if she got gifts or not. She only wanted to spend that wonderful day with the people she loved; her mom, dad, and best friend Kikwang.

 

 He looked like a prince. Every time he smiled, his eyes would turn into a little crescent. He had the perfect facial features. It would be stupid of her if she said she didn’t fall for his good looks, or ever had feelings for him, but she knew that they were never possible. Why? Cause he has a girlfriend. They have been dating for a year now. His girlfriend, Jiyeon, knew that Shinha and Kikwang have been best friends since forever, and she doesn’t mind.

 

 Sometimes Shinha wondered why he went out with Jiyeon, and he always replied 'because she's different' . That was it. He always said the same answer. Shinha understood that since they're a couple and all they need some time alone together, but lately, they haven’t been spending anytime together. Jiyeon would always find some excuse to get him to hang out with her, so Shinha was always alone. When Shinha and Kikwang made plans, he always had to cancel them because of Jiyeon.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 "Maybe I should call him" Shinha thought. It's been weeks since they've last hung out and she missed him. Lying on her bed, she kept wondering if she should call him or not.

 

 "Ugh, this is hard. I do miss him though… and I really want to hang out with him too. It's been weeks since we've last talked and hung out. All because of his stupid girlfriend, I can't get any time with him. Whatever. Just call him Shinha; if he says he's busy or won't pick up, we'll just have to find a new friend. Alright. Let's do this. Fighting Shinha! Fighting!" she chanted.

 

She sat up, flipped out her phone, and dialed his number. It started ringing. It kept ringing until the fifth ring then someone picked up.

 

 "Hello?" she quietly said.

 

 "Hello? Who's this?" it was a girl’s voice.

 

 'Weird. Was it Jiyeon?'

 

 "Jiyeon? It's Shinha" she answered.

 

 Truthfully, Shinha was afraid of Jiyeon. She had that aura around her that was a little frightening.

 

 "Oh. What do you want?" Jiyeon asked sounding annoyed.

 

 "Oh" Shinha was a little shocked hearing the tone in Jiyeon's voice.

 

 "Well? What is it?" Jiyeon asked sounding more annoyed now.

 

 "I was wondering if Kikwang was there" Shinha told her.

 

 It was silent was a bit, then Jiyeon answered, "Yeah. Wait a minute". Shinha could hear her call for Kikwang in the background. She waited a while.

 

 "Hello?" Kikwang asked.

 

 "Oppa, it's me, Shinha. What have you been up to? I missed you. Let's get together soon? Maybe this week?" she asked.

 

 "Oh, Shin, how've you been? I missed you too. What have you been up to?" he asked. Only Kikwang was allowed to call her 'Shin'  she didn't even let her parents call her that. It was a special nickname for her from him.

 

 "I've been pretty good. Doing the usual stuff. School, school, and more school. I haven't seen you around school these days. Where have you been? Do you want to get together this weekend?" she replied. "You know Sunday’s a very special day" she said hinting that Sunday is her birthday.

 

 "Oh, it’s just been crazy at home, and other stuff. I’m not sure about Sunday yet. Jiyeon wants me to go to the amusement park with her" he said.

 

 It was quiet for a while. Shinha knew that his home was not 'crazy' there was no 'other stuff' going on, but it was Jiyeon who made him stay home. She didn't like going to school. Matter of fact, she basically never went, but Kikwang fell for her charm. Her spell.

 

 Could it be he has forgotten? Sunday was a special day for Shinha because it was her birthday. They always spent her birthday together. Jiyeon could go to the amusement park by herself or with her friends. Jiyeon even knew that they spent Shinha's birthday together. This was stupid. Ever since Jiyeon appeared in Kikwang's life, she has been messing everything up. Nothing was the way it used to be anymore. Everything was different now, and it was hard. Mostly on Shinha.

 

 "Oh okay. Well, if you change your mind, you know where to find me. Bye" she hung up before he even replied. She was tired of this. She wanted to go back to the way they were before Jiyeon appeared.

 

 Shinha got up from her bed and got dressed. She was sick of this. What was the point in trying? She might as well not try anymore since Kikwang doesn't budge at all.

 

 Shinha walked over to her closet, pulled out a pair of black leggings, her oversized gray hoodie, and her black leather jacket, and got dressed. She wore her tan boots, grabbed her purse, and was ready to go out. Shinha walked down the stairs and was greeted by her parents and her sister in the living room.

 

 "I’m going out" Shinha said.

 

 "Where are you going honey?" her mom asked curiously.

 

 "I'm not sure, but probably around the neighborhood. I just want to get some fresh air because I'm feeling kind of stuffy" Shinha explained. She was feeling kind of stuffy, but only because of Jiyeon and a bit of Kikwang too.

 

 "Okay, come home soon alright?" her mom said.

 

 "Alright. Bye" Shinha said as she went out the door.

 

 Shinha wasn't sure where she wanted to go. She wandered by the park a couple of times, but ended up wandering somewhere else. She passed by K&K Café, where Kikwang and her use hang out all the time. Subconsciously, she walked inside the café. At first she was wondering why she was even in here when it brought her bad memories, but decided to sit down and order something because it was her favorite place to be at.

 

 "Hey Shinha, what would you like to order today?" the waiter said. The waiter's name was Jung Byung Hee. He knew Shinha because she was always frequently there, and because he lived in the same neighborhood as her.  K&K Café only had male waiters. There were no female waitresses. Although the boss was a female, her employees were all male. Maybe that was one of the reasons Shinha walked into the café. Who knew?

 

 "I'm not even sure myself Byunghee. I guess anything's fine with me" Shinha said quietly.

 

 "What's wrong Shinha? You seem so… out of it today. You always know what to order. And where's Kikwang? You always come here with him… alright, spill it. What's going on?" Byunghee asked while taking a seat next to her.

 

 "Aren't you supposed to be working? How can you sit with a customer?" Shinha asked avoiding the question.

 

 "Don't avoid the question Shinha. Answer it" Byunghee said.

 

 Shinha sighed, "Alright. Well, I guess you can say I'm mad at Kikwang… and his girlfriend" Shinha confessed.

 

 "Jiyeon?" Byunghee asked.

 

 "Yeah. But you know what? Whatever. I'm not gonna let her get to me. She's not worth my time" Shinha said.

 

 "Good. Don't let her get to you. Don't let her ruin the friendship you have between Kikwang. He's a good guy Shinha. Believe me. It's just, Jiyeon has been a bad influence on him okay? Don't stress out about it. Now, how about your favorite cup of coffee?" Byunghee encouraged her.

 

 "Alright. Thanks Byunghee" Shinha thanked him. She got up and gave him a hug. Little did she know, that hug meant the world to Byunghee.

 

 

 Byunghee had always had a crush on Shinha, but because he knew she liked Kikwang since forever, he didn't want to get in between them and ruin what they have. Byunghee only wished for Shinha to be happy always, and he hope Kikwang would do that. Seeing Shinha sad, made Byunghee sad. Seeing Shinha happy, made Byunghee happy. He knew that he and Shinha were impossible, so all he wanted to see was for the love of his life so be happy always. That hug that Shinha gave him was a winter miracle. It was rare that she hugged any other guy besides her dad and Kikwang. Byunghee could only wish Shinha was his, but that would be going too far. He could only wish for the best and watch her from far away wishing her the happiness she deserves.

 

 Byunghee came back out with her coffee, and went to serve other customers. Shinha took a sip out of her hot coffee and looked out the window. She saw couples passing by holding hands and wearing couple clothes. Oh how she wished that was her and Kikwang. Shinha turned back to her coffee. She finished it, and left the money on the table.

 

 She walked up to Byunghee to bid goodbye. "Bye Byunghee, thanks again for everything" she said and gave one last hug to him.

 

 Shinha walked out of the café, and wondered where she was going to head to next. She walked down the street and decided to go to Hongdae. Shinha grabbed a taxi and headed to Hongdae.

 

 The cab ride there wasn't that long. She got off and walked down the street heading somewhere. Shinha decided she wanted to buy things for her little sister since Christmas was coming up. She headed for the street market and it wasn't as crowded as she thought it'd be. The only thing that bugged her was the couples around her. They were holding hands and wearing couple things. Again, she wished it was her and Kikwang. She tried to not think about him and walked around the market thinking what to buy her little sister.

 

 Shinha passed by this really cute stall and stopped to take a look. She saw a white ear muff, and a light pink ear muff. They were really cute, but she decided to only buy a light pink one. Shinha like the way it felt. It was really fluffy. She brought it up to the Ahjumma and was ready to pay.

 

 "How much is it?" Shinha asked.

 

 "3,500 won. Do you think you can get the white ear muff for me dear?" the Ahjumma asked.

 

 "Sure, no problem" Shinha replied.

 

 She walked over and grabbed the white ear muff wondering why the Ahjumma wanted it.

 

 "Here you go" Shinha said handing it to her.

 

 "Thank you" the Ahjumma said.

 

 The Ahjumma took the ear muff Shinha brought over and stuffed it in the bag.

 

 "For you" she said. "Merry Christmas."

 

 "But, but, I only want the pink one" Shinha said confused.

 

 "I saw the way you were looking at them both. Just take it before I change my mind okay?" the Ahjumma said smiling.

 

Shinha smiled. "Thank you so much Ahjumma!"

 

 She paid the Ahjumma, and was on her way to buy other things. Shinha kept smiling. She held the bag tightly in her hands and walked by a few other stalls. The smell of food was coming to her, but she resisted the urge to buy anything. The breeze that hit her face felt nice. She could finally breathe. As it was a little cold, she didn’t mind it.

 

 She continued her stroll down the street. By the time she found the perfect jacket, it was getting late, but Shinha bought it anyways. She knew her sister was going to like the gifts.

 

 Shinha got a taxi back to Seoul, and walked home. It was getting dark and suddenly Shinha felt a something cold and wet on her nose. It was snow. They were going to have a white Christmas. Something Shinha always hoped for.

 

 It wasn't snowing heavily, but that was okay. Shinha could take her time and walk home feeling the snow against her face. Then her phone started to vibrate. Shinha took it out of her pocket and it read 'you received a text message'  Shinha wondered who it could be from. 

 

'To: Shinha~

From: Kikwang oppa

 

 Meet me by the park at 8:00PM.

 – Kikwang' 

 

 "Why did he want to meet me at the park?" Shinha wondered. "Should I go, or should I not go" Shinha wondered. If she didn't go, that would make her a coward, if she did go, then it'd mean she wasn't afraid of anything. "Alright, let's go."

 

 Shinha walked to the park and no one was there. It was dark outside now. She looked at her phone and the time read '7:50' Only 10 more minutes till it were 8:00. She stood there for awhile, but it got colder, so she sat on the swing. She kept waiting. It was 5 minutes after 8:00 now, and no one showed up. 10 minutes passed. Shinha didn’t even know why she even waited. She was foolish enough to wait for him.

 

 "What a fool I am to wait for him. To think maybe, just maybe he was going to show up" Shinha stood up and was ready to leave, but as soon as she got up, music started playing.

 

'Weird...' she thought.

 

 

'I don’t want a lot for Christmas

 

There is just one thing I need

 

I don’t care about the presents

Underneath the Christmas tree

 

 

I just want you for my own

 

More than you could ever know

 

Make my wish come true

All I want for Christmas…

 

Is you.'

 

 'That voice. I recognized that voice. It was… Kikwang. He showed up. He showed up' Shinha thought to herself. He didn't stand her up. He kept his promised and came for her.

 

 "Kikwang…" Shinha whispered.

 

 "Shinha, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for everything. I'm so sorry I was a fool and didn't see what was right before me. You were here for me all along, but I didn't notice it. Instead, I fell for Jiyeon. You were always there for me. Every time I needed you, you were there. I'm so sorry Shinha. Will you please forgive me? Please?" Kikwang explained.

 

 "I… I… I can't. I'm sorry Kikwang. I waited for you. All these years, and it took you know to realize that you need me? That's just too long. I… I… I just can't. I'm sorry" Shinha said crying. She didn't even know what she was saying. She wasn't even sure she was doing the right thing or not.

 

 "I know you won't forgive right away, but I was wrong Shinha. I'm sorry. Please, please don't leave me" Kikwang said. He was walking closer to her now.

 

 "I… I…" Shinha was speechless. She didn't even know what to say.

 

 Suddenly, lights around her appeared. They were hung around all the trees. Christmas lights. Everywhere.

 

 "Kikwang… what… what… what is this?" Shinha said crying.

 

 "I still remembered when we were kids you'd always say that when you grow older you'd want your boyfriend to light up all the trees in the park just for you" Kikwang said smiling. They were now under the swings.

 

 "You remembered? Kikwang, it's been years, and you still remember that silly comment I made?" Shinha exclaimed.

 

 "Silly? You might think it's silly, but every remark and comment you made, I still remember" He said chuckling.

 

 "Then why? Why did you choose to confess your feelings now?" Shinha asked, confused, thinking about that he's still in a relationship with Jiyeon right now.

 

 "Because I didn't want to ruin our friendship. I've liked you since forever Shin. It's just our friendship is just so precious to me, I didn't want to ruin it" he said with a sad tone.

 

 "Kikwang… I don't know what to say" Shinha said. "How about Jiyeon?" she asked scared of Jiyeon.

 

 "Since reality hit me what she's been doing to me, I already broke up with her" he said smiling.

 

  Kikwang looked up at the swing set. "How about you kiss me?" he said.

 

 "What?" Shinha asked shocked and confused. She looked up at the swing set and saw a mistletoe. She laughed as she felt heat forming on her cheeks.

 

 "So how about it?" Kikwang said winking at her.

 

 Underneath all that tears was happiness. Shinha couldn't express how she was feeling that moment. It was a winter miracle after all.

 

 Shinha punched him but to only hurt herself. He laughed. He scooted in a little closer and Shinha closed her eyes. Kikwang was close to her face now, but to ask, "What are you doing?"

 

 Again, she punched him, and he laughed.

 

 This time he pulled her in for a kiss, which she wasn't expecting, and fireworks started to go off.

 

 He let go.

 

 "I love you Shin"

 

 "I love you too Kikwang"

 

 And they kissed again.

--

 

3rd fiction! :D

 

I was going to add  more details but I noticed it's already long and SOMEONE hurried me for making this fiction lol

 

Anyway, hope you like it~