On A Rainy Day

Blind Faith

 

Rain floods from the ominous clouds as Matsumoto Jun scowls. The wall of falling droplets blocked his path from his place under a safe dry awning to an even safer dryer bookshop. Today was terrible. First off he got up late when he was supposed to meet a friend, secondly his friend cancelled after he had been standing at their waiting spot for half an hour, and lastly this sudden downpour happened without an end in sight.

Sighing, Matsumoto squared his shoulders and prepared to run across the single lane street to the bookstore. Grumbling swear words all along the way. Upon reaching the shop he quickly opened the dark colored door. An almost overwhelming warm smell of coffee mixed with the scent crisp new books was a somewhat calming smell to the disgruntled Matsumoto.

 

“Please close the door, the heaters on,” A soft voice called from the back of the store. Jun’s brow raised; the gentle dinging of the bell was hardly enough to alert anyone that far back. But regardless he did as he was told and shut the door, relishing in the warmth of the small store on his wet skin.

“Here you are,” The voice was a lot closer now. Matsumoto opened his eyes to see a petite woman walking towards him with a dark purple towel in her arms.

“It’s to dry off with,” She stated with a smile reaching her glasses. Tilting his head to the right, he cautiously took the offered cloth. Watching as the woman walked to a nearby counter. He studied her swiftly, not wanting to be caught watching. The way she walked was almost rehearsed, she never looked at her feet, she knew just when to turn and just when to side step. It was intriguing to watch.

“Would you like some coffee or tea? I can’t make those fancy drinks at Starbucks, but I can make espresso and cappuccino. Oh, we also serve hot chocolate,” She said as her hands glide over the light granite countertop.

Jun took note of her long black hair that stopped just below her bottom, which he guiltily wanted to peek at. Shaking his head he sat straight up at the bar counter, looking up at the small café menu. Something hot to drink would definitely help in the warming up process.

 

“Coffee with cream and sugar on the side, please,” The woman’s shoulders stiffened for a split second before relaxing again. It was as if she were startled that another person was in the store. She gradually moves her fingertip across the counter before bumping them into a clean cup and saucer, putting the cup right in front of her before searching the counter with her hands for the coffee pot. Her palm hovering over the hot pot before grabbing the handle and pouring the piping hot liquid, gingerly putting the cup and saucer in front of Matsumoto before turning back around to fetch the cream and sugar. Going about the same manner when pouring the fresh cream and placing the sugar in front of Jun.

 

“There you are, I hope you enjoy it,” She said with another sweet smile. Jun could see her face clearly, her ink black hair held back by a headband, her eyes framed with a pair of black rimmed glasses.

It was when he looked into her eyes that he realized. It explained her interesting way of going about things, the way she walked and served him. It also explained why she didn’t recognize him right off the bat when a promotional poster hung in the stores music area.

Her dark chocolate eyes had a layer of mist covering them, her pupils were an off grey color that somehow complimented her rather than stand out. She was blind.

Jun couldn’t help but stare in awe. For someone who was blind she sure could get around with ease. The low hum of pouring rain and background music hid the stifling silence that engulfed the pair.

“You’re staring at me, aren’t you?” Snapping to attention, Matsumoto hid his eyes behind his hand like he had walked in on someone showering. A cocktail of embarrassment and shame swirled in his stomach as he snuck a peek. She was still smiling.

 

“I’m sorry…I just noticed now is all,” He tried to explain, causing a light chuckle to arise from the girl.

 

“It’s fine, that happens all the time when patrons come in and finally realize I’m blind,” Her smile never wavered, shocking Matsumoto. She didn’t seem at all bothered with her handicap….The bright glow she was emanating was alluring on this cold autumn day.

“I’m Watanabe Makoto,” Her sudden bowing introduction took Jun by surprise for a split second, before he himself bowed his head.

 

“Matsumoto Jun,” It was a simple introduction but somehow held the refreshing scent of rain…as if something new was about to start.

 

 

****************************************************************************************************************

 

A/N: So here's a short but sure beginning to my MatsuJun fanfic.  Though it's in third person, it's mostly going to follow MatsuJun around (if that makes any sense).

Anyway, thank you a ton for reading!!!! <3