[Ch.3]

Somewhere I Belong(hiatus)

 

'You're pregnant, Minho.'

               

                Never once in the extent of his life did Minho think he would hear those words. Maybe being present when his would-be wife heard the news, but for he himself to hear it...It made him want to faint. He could feel the color draining from him again, right to very tips of his fingers and toes.

 

                Dr. Yu dashed to plant a trashcan in his lap as he up chucked the rest of what little breakfast he'd eaten. She rubbed his back a few times before standing off to the side; letting Minho collect himself as she grabbed something from the cabinet. He leaned back, eyes welling with tears from the strain of vomiting. She waved a lollipop in front of his face, "I know you probably don't want it, but it'll bring your blood sugar back up."

 

                He nodded, on the treat thankfully as it masked the sour taste in his mouth.

 

                She dimmed the lights, "Well, it's to be expected that you're nervous. If you can, lay back on the table for me. It'll help your nausea and we can get your ultrasound done at the same time."

 

                He sunk down onto the leather, breathing slow and steady around the paper stick. She flipped on the machine and wheeled the stool closer, "Can you lift your shirt for me?"

 

                Minho still didn't feel quite right, like he was dreaming. His skin felt numb as the soft material of his shirt slid through his fingers, hiked up his abdomen as he shift his pants just a little lower. She tucked a paper towel into the edge of his jeans before grabbing up a tube.

 

                "This is gonna be cold..." Dr. Yu squeezed a liberal amount of the clear gel onto his stomach and grabbed the transducer from its holder.

 

                She slid it over the thick substance, spreading a layer over his pelvis. Careful to glide over the healing wound; "Don't worry about your stitches, the gel won't affect anything with your healing time."

 

                The device swiveled a few times over his skin until she came across the black pocket she was searching for. "Here we go..." Minho heard the flip of a switch, deep and rhythmic pulsating filled the room. A hollow push and pull of what lay inside him kept up that steady, slow beat.

 

                The stick fell from his lips to the floor as he fought to lean up, eyes straining to find the source of that sound.  She wheeled the machine closer, pulling an arrow across the screen with the mouse; a quick click-and-drag over the greyish shape hugging the wall of his placenta incased it in a little white circle.

"This is the embryo; the egg we synthesized from your DNA seems to have taken to the donor's sample perfectly. From what I can tell, you're about six weeks along; you skipped the whole 'conception' part obviously, but technically when comparing to a female pregnancy...It's six weeks, give or take a few days."

 

                Minho's eyes flittered over the words she typed. Starting first with 'B-a-' before she paused and back tracked, sticking 'Embryo' next to the circle. "The sound you hear is the heartbeat."

 

                The heartbeat...

 

                It, no that's not proper, the 'embryo' had a heartbeat. His fingers dug into the cool leather below his fingertips as his mouth dried. All the water he had in him seemed to collect in his tear ducts, overflowing them to spill down his cheeks. Not taking notice until Dr. Yu glanced over, "Oh, Minho..."

 

                His eyes broke from the screen, tears staining his grey shirt. He bit down on his lip, trying to hold back a minute sob, " I-I'm sorry...I dunno why..."

 

                She reached back blindly with practiced ease, pulling some tissues up from there box. "Here."

 

                He wiped his eyes, "Can-Would it be..."

 

                "Do you want a picture?" She scrolled over the print button.

 

                He nodded, " Two actually...If that's ok."

 

                "Two?"

 

                She quirked a brow, typing a '2' in the copies section before hitting print. "Y-Yeah, a friend of mine wants one...and I kinda-" He couldn't finished it. "Just want a memento, you know."

 

 

                She flipped off the machine as the copies printed, "Hmm, so what do your friends think?"

 

 

                He wiped the goo from his stomach with the towel she handed him, sitting up as she brought the lights back up. "Key's all about it even though he understands this isn't...to full term. Jonghyun and Taemin are pretty much indifferent other than being annoyed I can't go out with them for a while."

 

 

                "And Jinki?" She passed Minho the double copy of his ultrasound.

 

 

                He turned, feet dangling as he eyed the glossy paper between his fingers, thumb rubbing the corner housing 'the embryo's' heart rate. "Jinki? He's the most detached of us all...Being a doctor and all, he understands it's just for science. I-I'm not supposed to..."

He was crying again, tears hitting the paper and streaking down it in jagged rivulets. He scrubbed his cheeks hard with a fist, “F-..."

 

                "It's the hormones, just let go. You'll feel better after I'm sure."

 

                Minho didn't want to cry though, twice in a year was too much for him normally. Twice in a day, less than ten minutes apart, was ridiculous. "I think I'm good..."

 

                "Speaking of hormones, please finish out your estrogen. Your blood tests show your body has taken over the production, but a little boost couldn't hurt." She pulled out a small pad, "Obviously, I want you to start taking prenatal medicine. Just get the prescription filled where ever, everyone should have it."

 

                She handed him the small, scrawled note. "As promised we will cover all expenses during the duration of your pregnancy, including a monthly allowance and a place to live. We can get you moved in over the next few days, everything is already all set up and waiting for you. If you don't have any questions, I'll see you in a few weeks."

 

                He stared down at the little grey blob floating in a sea of black, "Nope, I'm good."

 

                "Minho? Thank you again."

__

 

                Minho was all settled in by the next week, it was a big change from his little piece of apartment. He had space to walk, and didn't find himself in another room after a couple steps. The hallway outside his doorway was even nice; the walls were clean, free of grime or graffiti. He'd spent a few minutes idling around it just to see what kinds of people he was sharing the floor with.

 

                Key insisted they have dinner, all five of them, after he was settled. So they could break in his new, albeit temporary, dwelling space.

 

                Jonghyun whistled, slipping off his shoes by the door. “Damn, they hooked you up Minho. Maybe I should try getting pregnant for science...."

 

                Key slapped him upside the head as he strode past, "No one is stupid enough to let you do something like that..."

 

                Jonghyun rubbed the back of his head, "I was just saying..."

 

                Key effectively ignored him, " Which way's the kitchen?"

 

                Minho hitched a thumb towards the archway on his left side, "Pots and are in hang above the island."

 

                Taemin trailed behind the elder, grocery bags in hand. Jonghyun lowered next to Minho, arm slung over his shoulder as he leaned heavily into the younger's side and grinned wide. "So, what's up preggo? How was your appointment?"

 

                Minho shoved him off, "First, don't call me that...ever. Second, I told you it went fine like three days ago..."

 

                "Oh, right...Well let me see a picture of it. You get those, right?"

 

                He sighed, pushing off the couch, "Be back."

 

                His bedroom now was twice the size of his bedroom and living room combined at his old apartment. And how great it felt to slap the cash he owed down on that crusty, old es desk. Letting her know he was moving to this new, expensive apartment complex and she could stop banging on his door at all hours for her ing money.

The bed was king-sized, piled high with new sheets and a mass of pillows; he'd miss it when he had to get his deflated single bed back out of storage. He pulled a faded shoebox out from under it, placing it onto his lap as he sat.

The box was filled to the brim with sports awards, his first concert ticket, high school graduation certificate, all those things that meant the most to him in the world. The ultrasound pictures sat on top carefully sealed in a sandwich baggie to minimize wear and tear on the delicate glossed paper. He removed Key's copy and re-zipped the bag; smoothing over the soft plastic encasing his keepsake before he lidded the worn box and slid it back under the bed.

                It’s not the little picture meant the world to him… He just needed somewhere out of site to keep it. He didn’t want to answer questions he couldn’t really explain himself if it was ever found.

                Jonghyun was swigging on a beer when he returned, flipping through the channels as he attempted to take up the entirety of the couches length. "Here, and get your dirty feet off my couch."

 

                The elder pouted, snatching the picture up. "Lemme see your stomach..."

 

                "What?"

 

                "Just lift up your shirt..."

 

                Minho rolled his eyes as he slid up the oversized t-shirt. His sweats hung low on his hips to reveal the top of a fading scar, stitches all having fallen out now. "There's nothing to see..."

 

                Jonghyun held up the picture next to his stomach, "Turn to the side."

 

                "Ugh..." Minho turned, pulling his shirt up a bit higher, just under his chest. It wasn't much, but his once flat abdomen had started to jut out and round at the bottom. With baggy shirts you couldn't tell at all, but now that it was exposed, there was no questioning it if you knew the situation.

 

                Jonghyun's round eyes switched back and forth from Minho's profile to the photo. "So, this is in you?"

 

                "Apparently..."

 

                "And this is what it looks like?"

 

                "It's probably a little different now, but more or less."

 

                Taemin came up to stare at the photo, "It's just a bump, that's supposed to be a baby?"

 

                "It would grow into one, I guess." Minho dropped the hem of his shirt.

 

                Taemin's head tipped, "Would?"

 

                Minho rubbed his temples, he was sick of talking about this. This part specifically, " It's never gonna be born, Taemin."

 

                "But...Can't you feel it?"

 

                Minho shook his head, "No..."

 

                "Well, when does that..."

 

                "I don't ing know, ok?! It'll be...gone by then anyway." Minho collapsed onto the armchair.

 

                Key came in holding a spoon, "Eighteen to twenty weeks is when it starts. Try this...”

 

                Taemin the spoon, "It's good."

 

                Key leaned over the couch, snatching up the picture Jonghyun was still eyeing curiously, "Get your grubby hands off my photo."

 

                Jonghyun frowned, crossing his arms. "Yours?"

 

                "Yes, mine." He pocketed it and strolled back into the kitchen.

 

                "Why does he have one?"

 

                Minho shrugged, " He wanted one...I dunno."

 

                Taemin sat, "Do you have one?"

 

                He thought back to the little square incased in plastic, "No."

 

                "Oh..."

 

                "I'm gonna go text Jinki and see when he'll be here." Minho stood and grabbed his phone off the breakfast bar, walking off towards the hall.

 

                Jonghyun called after him, "Where are you going?"

               

                "I'm about to piss my pants..."

 

                "Oh."

               

                Jinki had texted him about fifteen minutes earlier: Just woke up, taking a shower then I'll be there.

 

                Minho swore he'd avoid mirrors; yet, once again, he found himself standing sideways to eye his profile. He touched the length of his abdomen, tracing over the outward curve.

"So this is really happening, huh?" He touched the scar, "I'm not sure if you even have ears yet. But, Hi...little blobby thing."

 

                He dropped the cloth, exiting and pushing 'it' to the far reaches of his mind. At least until someone brought 'it' up again, knowing his friends it wouldn't be too long.

 

                Jinki had showed up in his absence, currently occupying his vacated seat. Minho couldn't help it as his smile got all the wider in the presence of the elder man. "Hey, hyung."

 

                Jinki waved, "Hey, how are you feeling?"

 

                Jonghyun rolled his eyes, "Ugh, can you not be a doctor for like five seconds..."

 

                Minho laughed, coming to occupy the edge of the coffee table, "I'm ok, haven't thrown up since yesterday so I can't complain. My chest is kinda sore, but I guess it'll pass."

 

                "Are your s tender to the touch?" Jinki was in full doctor mode now.

 

                "Are my what?!" Minho gaped.

 

                Jonghyun lost it, curling himself into Taemin's lap as he wheezed. Key flicked his forehead, pinching Taemin's bicep when the youngest let out a little chuckle as well. "Grow up, it's a legitimate question..."

 

                Jinki's gaze was sharp, "Are they?"

               

                "I dunno, I don't really touch..."

 

                Jinki waved off the response, "Either way, it's too be expected...Milk production starts fairly early."

 

                Jonghyun perked up, "Minho's gonna get ?"

 

                Jinki shook his head, "No, moron...His chest might...swell some, but he's not going to have s by any means."

 

                "Ugh, god..." Minho hunched over, face hidden behind his palms.

 

                Jinki frowned, "Didn't Dr. Yu go over this with you?"

 

                "Maybe…"

 

                "Maybe?"

               

"I don't-"

 

                Key cut in, "Once he hears money we all know everything else is drowned out...He probably stopped listening, and started scheming the minute figures were dropped into the conversation."

 

                Jonghyun chuffed in agreement as Taemin nodded, and Minho just tried to sink further and further into himself.

 

                Jinki stood, pacing in front of the foursome. "You are so irresponsible...I swear. I mean , Minho! You told me you knew what you were getting yourself into and you can't even tell what symptoms are normal or not. What if something happens? What if the pain you chose to ignore gets you killed?"

 

                "Hyung..." Key cautioned wanting to pacify the situation before it blew up. Minho sunk further, eyeing his feet and refusing to meet Jinki's gaze.

 

                "Are you even taking your prenatal vitamins like you're supposed to?!"

 

                Minho's head snapped up, eyes raging, "Yes, I am! I'm not a totally ing moron, ."

               

                "At the same time every day?" Jinki countered.

               

                Minho’s gaze fell back to his lap.

 

                "That's what I thought...You know, good thing this isn't-" He stopped.

 

                Minho shot up, a handful of Jinki shirt, " Isn't what?!"

 

                Jinki looked away, "Never mind, you should calm down. It's not good for the...for you."

 

                "No, go ahead and say it. You were so ing gung-ho just a second ago, what's stopping you now?!" He spat back.

 

                Jinki's face turned, staring Minho down so hard he almost shrunk back to a seated position. "Good thing this isn't real...That you're not actually going to have this kid. You can't even ing take care of yourself."

 

                "Jinki!" Key jumped up, slapping the eldest hard across the face. "You have no ing right-"

 

                “Why not?! It's my he begged for, not you or Jonghyun or Taemin. Me."

 

                "Get out."

 

                "What?"

 

                Minho's brows creased, tears crowding his eyes, "Get the out." They spilled down blotchy cheeks as his nose reddened.

 

                Jinki softened, "Minho, I didn't-"

 

                "Get out or I'm calling the cops. Wouldn't want to ruin your precious reputation, would you?"

 

                Jinki sighed, grabbing up his jacket. His lips parted as he walked past, but Minho turned away.

 

                The door clicked behind them, Minho's resolve shattered and he collapsed into Key's arms, sobbing hard. "I-I…I s-shouldn't…"

 

                Key held him tight, shushing him and soothing over his hair. "Shh, no he was being a ..." He hitched his head towards the kitchen and the dumbfounded pair scurried off.

 

                Key sat him down on the couch, "Just breathe..."

 

                Minho wiped his wet cheeks, mouth 'O' shaped as he released a shaky breath. "I r-really ing hate crying..." He hiccupped.

 

                The elder rubbed his back, " It's the-"

 

                "H-hormones...Yeah, I know."

 

                Key gave him a half-smile, "See, you can learn ..."

 

                Minho tried to laugh, hiccup taking over at the end. He bit down on his lip, "I r-really shouldn't have told him to g-get out. He's right...I wouldn't be a good dad, or mom; whatever the I would call myself."

 

                "That's not true...Now shut up about it. I'm gonna go get you some water, did you take your pill yet?"

 

                Minho looked at his hands, head shaking slowly.

 

                Key stood, "Where are they?"

 

                "On top of the microwave..."

               

                Regardless of what Key said...He knew Jinki was right. Minho could barely survive on his own, bringing another life into the equation was out of the question.

 

                Key touched his back, bringing him out of his thoughts. "Dinner’s done, I put your drink and pill on the table. Go ahead and sit down, I'll fix you up a plate."

__

                It was late when he finally ushered everyone out the door, Key insisted on doing the clean-up while Taemin and Jonghyun just lazed around, chatting him up about nothing in particular. He relished a bit in the silence of his space as he flipped off all the lights and locked the door.

 

                He padded down the hall, soft white carpet cushioning every step. He flipped the light to his room on; something caught his eye, wrapper reflecting in the light. Minho walked over to the bed, a bouquet of wild flowers lay in the center. He frowned, the green plastic crinkled as he grabbed up the flowers. Crisp, gold embossed note stuck out from the center of the bunch.

 

                He plucked it from the holder, laying the bouquet down as he sat: This is probably kind of weird, but I saw these on my way here and thought of you. I know I shouldn't say it, but congrats, I bet we'd make a cute kid. -Jinki 

 

                Minho was really ing sick of crying.

___

AN: Please don't hate me..../hides