Running for my life

Mirror Mirror (Altered Version)

 

Rays of golden light lit up my room, waking me from my slumber. I yawned and stretched, temporarily forgetting about my troubles. I stayed in bed, day-dreaming for a while since it was the weekend. Suddenly, every detail from last night came back to me. I groaned, wishing that I never knew. But then again… If I didn’t I might be dead soon. A small, bitter smile appeared on my face as I remembered my determination from last night, how I would try and survive.  It seemed as most of my determination had leaked away from me and went off for a holiday. But what was left of it seemed to give me a bit more energy than I needed. I heard Hyeri downstairs making breakfast. Thank goodness I took drama, otherwise I probably be caught soon. I walked down the stairs like I always do, stumbling a little from my sleepiness, trying to cover up my nervousness and hoping Hyeri wouldn't be able to find out what happened last night. Hyeri looked up and smiled cheerfully. I smiled back as normal, although I was scared that she’ll notice it was a fake smile. She handed me a plate of scrambled eggs. I ate it, knowing that Hyeri couldn’t have completed the solution yet. Between mouthfuls, I asked her about the movies. We managed to talk a little while, before she went upstairs to sleep again. I washed my plate and went back upstairs to change. I looked in the mirror. I didn’t know what to do. Run away? But she’ll probably report me to the police… File in a missing person… I felt my heart sink as I also remembered something else. In a week, it’s going to be my birthday. I would turn 17. I made my decision. I was going to run away and but leave a note telling her about how I knew everything and how I would tell the police if she tried to track me down. I actually didn't really have the guts to do it, and wanted a normal life, but just in case, I would say that. I didn’t know where to go but… I shook my head and started to pack a few vital things for tomorrow.

‘Unnie! I’m going out with some friends! I’ll be back soon!’ I yelled from the front door. Hyeri appeared at the stairs and nodded. ‘Just be back by 6, ok?’ I faked a smile at her, letting her know it’ll be fine. She disappeared. It was spring but it was a tad chilly. I glad I was wearing my hoodie. I walked around, trying to figure out where I was going to stay. I was about to walk pass the forest but I found myself standing on the pathway, staring at the cluster of trees in front of me. Maybe I could live in a tent in there… I thought but soon scratched it out. No, there was a mansion in there somewhere with 7 guys living there. What if they find me? I continued walking.

By the time I got back, it was 5:30 pm. I opened the door quietly. I snuck upstairs. The house was silent. I crept up the stairs and suddenly stopped. I heard shouts of success coming from Hyeri’s lab. She was doing something in the lab; could she have already finished the solution? I gulped and went back downstairs, trying to pretend I heard nothing as Hyeri emerged from her room. I gave her another faked smile. She smiled back. ‘Come on, are you hungry? I'll make you some dinner.’ I just shook my head. ‘No, it’s alright unnie. I already ate when I was out with my friends.’ I lied through my teeth. Hyeri nodded understandingly. ‘I also have to go out; we’re running low on food, again. I’ll be back in and hour.’ She headed out the door. I watched her go and raced up the stairs as soon as she left. I took a bobbin pin from my hair and picked the lock. I went into the room I snatched up the diary and hastily flipped to the latest entry again.

5th of September, 2012:

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!

____ won’t know what hit her…

I’ll try and get the necklace off tonight… After then, I’ll give her the poison like Mum and Dad.   

I yelped in surprise. So soon! I had to get away now. I rushed into my room and wrote a fast note of how I knew everything and how I would tell the police if she came after me. I then stuffed a shirt and tracksuit pants, my school uniform and all my school things into one bag. I left the note on the fridge. I didn’t really have the guts to tell the police, but I would if I had to. I ran in the streets trying to get as far away as I could from my house. Whenever I saw a car approaching, I would duck behind some bushes, afraid that the owner of the car would be my sister. I ran blindly about, and managed to end up in the woods. I mentally slapped myself. How the hell did I end up in here? But I had nowhere else to go so I walked around. Suddenly, I heard something moving around in the bushes and saw a shadow run past me. I grew afraid and started to run for my life. Unfortunately, as I was running and glancing back, I managed to run straight into a branch, knocking me unconscious.