Don't Trust

Promises Kept

 

"Yah! Get a room you two!" Seungri yelled. 
 
I broke the kiss with my boyfriend and laughed at Ri's annoyed and slightly disgusted expression. He would always walk in on moments like this. Ri's constant interruptions irritated Jiyong to no end but I always laughed it off. I really didn't mind because I enjoyed spending time with the two most important people in my life. Ri squeezed between Jiyong and me on the couch and threw his arms around us. That almost immediately got an argument started between them. I sighed and wondered if they would still do all of this bickering if they weren't siblings. 
 
"Guys, don't fight now! It's my birthday, remember? There's plenty of me to go
around!" I yelled over their arguing. 
 
"Yeah Jiyong!" Seungri said and pulled me closer, "You have to share!" he kissed
my cheek and I laughed at Ji's face as he tried not to kill his brother. 
 
"I don't have to do anything." Ji pouted and crossed his arms. 
 
Honestly, are they sure you're older than me?" Ri asked skeptically. 
 
"As sure as you're a ," 
 
I tried to contain my laughter but that didn't really work in my favor. They were going back and forth insulting each other and they probably could've done it all day if the house phone hadn't started ringing. Ri went to answer the phone and I scolded his brother for acting like a child. 
 
"It's for you, Dae," Seungri held out the phone to me. 
 
"For me?" I asked. He nodded and I reluctantly took the phone. I didn't even
live here. "Hello,"
 
"Happy Birthday, DaeDae. How has my smiling angel been? Have you missed me? I've missed you." he purred.  
 
I opened my mouth to speak but only a squeaking noise escaped. His laughter sent shivers through me and I just held the phone to my ear, mortified. I looked to Seungri for help but he was obviously confused. He mouthed the words Who is that to me and held out his hand for the phone when I didn't respond. I moved it out of his reach. 
 
"Speechless I see. I won't hold you long DaeDae; I just wanted you to know that I have a little surprise for you later. See you then." 
 
"Hyung, who are you talking to?" I heard a voice ask in the background. His voice was great in contrast to the deep, bass voice that I'd heard before him. 
 
"No one Junhong. Let's go play in the basement." That was the last thing I heard before the call ended. Even though no one was on the other end, I still held the phone to my ear as if my life depended on it. He was coming tonight. I had no idea how he'd found me but he did. 
 
"Daesung," Seungri called my name. He was standing right in front of me but I couldn't seem to focus on his face. "Dae! Seungie!" he called me every name he could think of trying to get my attention. Ri finally managed to pry the phone from my hand and gave it to Jiyong. He frowned at his brother but took the phone back to the kitchen. When he was out of sight, Ri cupped my face in his hands and bombarded me with questions. 
 
"What happened Dae? Why aren't you talking to me?" his eyes widened, "Was it him?"
 
I was about to ask him how he knew but before I got the chance, he said,"I've only ever seen you react like this to him."
 
I nodded and he pulled me into his arms. I wanted to cry but my eyes seemed unable to produce tears at the moment. He just rubbed my back and spoke soothing words into my ear. I was rather upset when Jiyong pulled us apart.
 
"We should leave now," he said fiercely and then left the house. Ri began to lead me out but stopped at the door. 
 
"Be careful Dae," he warned me, "Jiyong is my only brother and I'd hate it if I had to kill him because he let something happen to you." he caressed my cheek
and gently kissed my lips. 
 
"Don't worry about me, Ri. I'm a big boy; I know how to take care of myself." I tried to reassure him. 
 
He pulled me into another hug before walking me out to Jiyong's car. I waved to him as we pulled out of the driveway. In moments like these, I always wondered how I'd gotten a best friend as wonderful as him. I hadn't even noticed Ji fuming in the driver's seat until I heard him counting. It was something strange he did to help keep his wits about him. 
 
"3, 2, 1. 1, 2, 3. 3, 2, 1. 1, 2, 3." He had only gotten louder. I don't think it was working well this time. I placed my hand over his but he snatched it away
as soon as I came into contact with him. He knew how upset he got seeing me and Ri together. I don't know why he even bothered coming; I'd said I wouldn't be gone long. 
 
"What the hell was that, Dae?" Ji asked not taking his eyes off the road. 
 
"What was what?" I mumbled. He really knew how to piss people off. 
 
"Who was that on the phone?" he asked calmy; it made me uncomfortable. 
 
"No one," I told him, "He's no one," I could feel Ji staring at me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him reaching his hand out to me. I slapped it away and blurted, "He's my ex!"
 
"The one who was stalking you?" Ji yelled. "You told me he was in prison!"Just great. Now I'd gotten him all riled up for possibly nothing. "He was in prison. Obviously he's out now,"
 
"I don't need you back talking me, Dae! When did you find out?" 
 
"Just today when he called,"
 
"Is he looking for you," Ji's voice softened. 
 
I sighed, "I'm not sure. I would just feel much better if we went home."
 
He took my hand in his and said, "I won't let him hurt you, Dae. I promise."
 
I put on my brightest smile for him. It was a sweet thing to say, impossible but sweet. In all honesty, T.O.P could crush Jiyong like a bug and that would be the end of it. That would also make Jiyong a very lucky man. I'd seen what T.O.P has done with his other victims; he had claimed that he liked them all and wanted to spend as much time with them as possible. They always went slowly and painfully, begging for it to be over.
 
"I'll be right back Dae. Don't let anyone kidnap you," he winked and scurried off into a restaurant. He'd left the key in the ignition so that the air conditioner and radio were still on. I hadn't really been paying attention to them in the first place. I locked the door behind him and leaned back in my seat, letting the horrific memories flood back into my mind.
 
I found out about TOP on my birthday three years ago. He had taken me out to dinner at my favorite Thai restaurant but he left right in the middle of it. He had told me that there was a work emergency but I should stay and enjoy the rest of my dinner. At the time I had suspected him of cheating so I rushed home after he left. He hadn't been home when I got there so I assumed there had actually been a work emergency. 
I had been tidying up when I heard something. I called TOP to see if it had been him arriving home but his car wasn't even there. I followed the sound to the basement entrance and I was reluctant to go in because he had constantly told me to stay out of his work area. I was about to go back to my cleaning when the noise started to sound like crying. I got some balls and went into the basement but I can't help regretting that decision today. 
The images wouldn't leave my head. A young boy, I later found out his name was Lee Taemin, had been laying on the floor blindfolded and handcuffed. His school niform was tattered and stained with blood. I had only been going to help him but he started whimpering when I got close. The last thing I remember from that night was removing the boy's blindfold and then turning around to see TOP swinging at me with a tire iron. 
When I woke up in the hospital a few days later, the police explained to me that Seungri had saved me and TOP had been arrested. I accepted their story as the truth since I had no recollection of anything and it was a highly believable story. It was quite possible that Ri had come into our house, using the key I had given him, while TOP wasn't home and found us in the basement the same way I found the boy. He could've then called the police and had TOP arrested. 
I hadn't been conscious while TOP tormented my body but the physical damage after I'd woken up was still pretty bad. Even though I had seen what he did to someone else and myself, I wasn't afraid of him until I heard what souvenir he'd taken from me to prison. A patch of skin was missing from the back of my neck.'
 
I screamed when Ji tapped the driver's window. "Unlock the door!" he yelled. 
 
I let him in the car and handed me the bag full of Thai food. I suddenly felt bad realizing this whole TOP thing must be ruining the birthday plans he made for me. I would have to make up for this somehow. We went to our apartment and ate while watching a movie. It was some romantic comedy that I couldn't remember the name of. After the movie, I tried to get him to take a shower with me. He wasn't in the mood for me or my ual advances. 
 
"Ji, come to bed," I whined. He was sitting on the couch reading. 
 
"I will in a minute," he said without looking up at me. 
 
I sighed and kicked a potted plant nearby, "This has been a terrible birthday,"
 
"Dae," he called my name softly but I ignored him and headed to our room. 
 
"Stupid Jiyong with his stupid," I thought for a second, "everything. Everything about him is stupid. It's my birthday." I crawled into bed and fell asleep mumbling bad things about my boyfriend.
 
My phone vibrated on the nightstand beside me. "Why is Ri texting me at," I glanced at the time, "two in the morning?" I rolled over and was faced with Jiyong's back. When did he get in bed? I heard the sound of a door opening downstairs and freaked out. I gripped the back of his shirt and shook him until he grunted.
 
"Wake up! I heard something downstairs!"
 
"I don't know what you could've heard," Ji's voice wasn't that deep, "I'm right here," the person in my bed turned to face me. 
 
"Oh !" I yelled and pushed him out of my bed. I ran to the door but it was locked from the outside. I rammed into it repeatedly but I only succeeded in injuring my shoulder. 
 
"You're not getting out that way, love," he smiled and made his way towards me. I banged on the door and yelled for help. Where the hell was Jiyong? His hands appeared on either side of my head and I turned around to face him. I couldn't find the strength to move. 
 
"I hope you don't mind that I left your little boyfriend to drown. I was only concerned about you," he my face and leaned down to kiss me. The paralysis left my body. I ducked under his arm and darted to the window. I had to get to Jiyong. Thank goodness for this first floor bedroom. 
 
I climbed out of the window and looked for another way to get back into the apartment. I had to see if Ji was okay. Our front door was open; that must be how he got in. I cautiously walked in and looked around. I didn't see any sign of him and all I heard was the shower running. 
 
I was torn on what to do. I didn't know whether I should go find a weapon or go to my boyfriend. In the end, I chose Jiyong over my safety. I ran on my tiptoes to the bathroom. Ji lay in a bathtub overflowing with water while the shower ran. He was unconscious and his nose just barely stuck out above the water. 
 
I pulled him out of the tub and covered him with a towel. He was almost breathing but not quite. I performed CPR and was so happy my psychiatrist made me take that health class. Ji began coughing as he regained consciousness. He tried to talk to me but I covered his mouth with my hand. I motioned to his clothes so that he could get dressed. I was getting us out of here. 
 
I left the bathroom so that I could go search for the car keys. Where did T.O.P go? He had to still be in here somewhere. I didn't have time for this. I went into the kitchen and saw the keys next to the sink. That was way too easy. I snatched the keys up and spun around in a circle to make sure he hadn't shown up. 
 
When I was sure that I was good to go, I ran out of the kitchen only to be tackled to the ground. I dropped the keys and cursed T.O.P for being heavier than me. We rolled around on the floor struggling, each of us trying to gain the upper hand but neither succeeding.
 
"I'm tired of playing these games Daesung!" he yelled. 
 
I only got a glimpse of the knife before he stabbed me in the abdomen. My hands immediately went to the knife and he placed both of his hands around my throat. I wasn't strong enough to fight him anymore. I slipped in and out of consciousness as I lost more oxygen every second. I just couldn't believe I'd left Jiyong on the bathroom floor. My only regret would be not telling him that I loved him. I closed my eyes. 
 
I was startled back into consciousness when T.O.P fell on top of me, pressing the knife deeper. I cried out and a tear escaped my eye. I saw Ji standing over us with rage in his eyes and he pulled T.O.P off of me. 
 
"I promised you that I wouldn't let him hurt you, didn't I?" he asked me. 
 
I nodded and then out.