Still With You [4/?]

Still With You

 

Still With You [4/?] - Noraebang?

 

Author's Notes: Hey! It's been a while since I updated this, and I just want to say thanks A LOT for sticking around. Speaking of sticking around, I also want to take this opportunity to tell you that if you are a SoEul fan and you haven't seen bummso. wordpress.com yet, you should! People there are extremely dedicated, loyal, unwavering and AWESOME! SoEul fans are simply the best! Let's continue crossing our fingers for a Bumsso reunion onscreen (because in my Bumsso-worshipping brain, Bummie and Eunnie were never separated offscreen anyway. haha).

And oh, Happy New Year! 

...

 

“Painting? Really? I thought you wanted to be an actress!”

It was March, the start of a new academic year, and Kim So Eun was in the college cafeteria with Go Ara, her colleague in the acting business, friend and classmate. They were poring over So Eun's schedule for the first term, with Ara making not-so-subtle comments about how So Eun's schedule was horribly arranged and how some of her classes seem so absurd to even apply for.

“It's nice to paint.”

“And ballroom dance classes? What the heck?”

“It wouldn't hurt to learn how to dance.”

“Everybody knows how to dance, it's just that everybody isn't very good at it,” Ara said, setting down So Eun's schedule on the table before munching on a piece of buttered toast. “So was it Kim Bum who encouraged you to make these weird choices?”

Kim So Eun looked up from the warm cup of tea she was holding in her hands. “What does he have to do with my choices?”

“He's your boyfriend, duh,” Ara said. Then she narrowed her eyes shrewdly at So Eun. “Or have you broken up with him? You haven't been talking about him that much these days.”

So Eun laughed. “No, silly. We just haven't had time to see each other lately. We've been very busy, especially him.”

“Hmm, busy, huh,” Ara mumbled. “Where is he anyway? Hasn't he enrolled yet?”

“He's arriving today from Japan. I enrolled him.”

“Ah, Kim So Eun, the ever considerate girlfriend,” Ara teased, picking a strand of So Eun's hair and flicking it to her face. “What's he gonna give you in return for this huge favor you've given him?”

Kim So Eun smiled, a pink tinge in her cheeks. “He said he had written a song for me in his new album.”

“Aww,” Go Ara cooed, lacing her fingers together and tilting her head to the side dreamily. “Kim Sang Bum, the ever sappy boyfriend! Geez, why don't you two just get married already?”

...

 

The day had gone the usual course and was generally uneventful for Kim So Eun, aside from a message that she received on her cellphone at 5:07 P.M. Hey, jagiya. I'm in Seoul now. No need to call me, I'm okay. I'll call you later. Take care while going home, okay? Saranghae.

As promised, Kim Bum's call came after she had dinner, as she was folding laundry in her bedroom.

“So I've been thinking,” he started.

“That's not good.”

“Be serious for once, Kim So Eun,” Kim Bum grumbled, which brought a smile to Kim So Eun's lips. She shifted her phone to her other ear and started pacing inside her room.

“All right, Kim Sang Bum. What have you been thinking?”

He cleared his throat. “I've been thinking... that before we go out there and conquer this new school year,” So Eun rolled her eyes at this, “that we do something for ourselves. Some sort of preparation.”

So Eun furrowed her eyebrows. “O-okay.”

“You're not taking me seriously.”

She chuckled. “Go on. I'm listening.”

The line fell silent. Then Kim Bum spoke.

“Noraebang.”

Kim So Eun stopped pacing. A split-second later, she burst out laughing. “Are you serious?!”

“As serious as I am when I say I love you!”

“You're not very serious then.”

“Aish! Kim So Eun, will you hear me out?” Kim Bum whined, earning another laugh from So Eun. “Come on. Karaoke. It'll be fun. We'll eat ice cream after.”

“But eating ice cream after singing will ruin my vocal chords!”

“It's not as if you could sing as good as I do.”

“Argh! Go to hell, Kim Sang Bum!”

“Aw. I love you too, jagiya.”

***

 

She put her lip gloss on and rubbed her lips against each other, all the while trying to shake of nerves that were making her legs go weak. It was ridiculous. Kim So Eun, nervous about something as simple as eating dinner and singing karaoke with her boyfriend? As if. She turned around and around, carefully observing every angle of her reflection in the full-body mirror of her bedroom.

She checked her watch. 6:53. Kim Bum should arrive any minute now. He was almost never late.

She smoothed her hands over her green bubbles skirt and adjusted her pink sleeveless top. There was knock at the door. He's here.

Kim So Eun peeked through the peephole of her apartment door, and sure enough there was Kim Bum, looking as handsome as ever, rocking up and down on the balls of his feet, his eyes trained on the ceiling, and holding a bundle of white roses in his hands. She opened the door and smiled. “It's good to see you here on a fine night, Mr. Kim.”

Kim Bum grinned at her, eyes twinkling. “Well, you know, I thought it might be a nice night to take my girlfriend out. That sort of thing.”

“Completely unplanned?”

“Of course.”

“What if I say I feel bad and I have to stay home?”

He looked away, lifting a hand to the back of his neck. “Well...”

Kim So Eun snorted in amusement. “All right, I just have to grab a couple of things. Do you want anything?”

“I'm all set.”

“You're sure?” She didn't move from the doorway. He only smiled and nodded.

“Flowers for you, Ms. Kim.” He held the roses out to her, glancing away shyly. So Eun laughed and accepted the flowers, and after giving him an awkward but sweet kiss on the cheek, made a beeline for the flower vase. She then went into motion, grabbing her keys, closing her bedroom door, switching the lights off. By the time they were out of the apartment, he asked, “Why do you seem so nervous?”

“Wh-what? No, I'm not,” she stammered.

“So you are nervous,” he concluded. He put an arm around her shoulders. “Why? You don't have to be.”

She rolled her eyes. “I told you I'm not.”

“Either you're nervous about me hearing you sing off key ―”

“Haha.”

“―or you're afraid to be seen with me.”

She stared up at him, eyes wide.

“Which is absolutely silly, considering the fact that we've been doing this for so long already.” He looked at her and removed his arm from her shoulder to hold her hand and lace his fingers with hers. “It's about time the world knew about us, don't you think?”

"I guess so..." she murmured. Was it really that bad? They've been through so much, and she's always been on her guard. When it came to thinking about the times when she was most happy, she thought about the times when she wasn't on defense about anything. No hiding. No pretending. Why would she have to care about what other people might think? They don't know a thing about them, or him, or her.

She loves him, he loves her. That's what's important, isn't it? They had each other. The rest of the world could go hang.

"You don't sound so sure."

Kim So Eun started chuckling. It was so simple, so very simple. She suddenly wondered why she'd been scared all this time. “Yah!" she exclaimed, startling a few birds perched on a tree in a distance. "Kim Sang Bum's delusional fangirls, bring it on!”

Beside her, Kim Bum was laughing merrily. “Nah, they don't stand a chance, anyway.”