Chapter One: Why me?

I can't understand you...LITERALLY!

 

It’s ten o’clock on a Saturday night, and as per usual: Melbourne City is still wide awake.
Melody huffs as she enters the Crown complex where her father works at, it had been a while since they last saw each other; he was always away on meetings or overseas, sometimes even both.
 
Not wanting to look like a loner, Melody makes her way to the food court and orders prawn dumplings as a light snack. Her father promised to take her to ‘Lucky Chan’, which was a new chinese restaurant built inside crown. She takes out her phone and starts tapping away, just pretending to look busy. After 20 minutes of waiting, a voice interrupts her train of thought.
 
“Min Jin-nie?” 
Looking up, she see’s a middle aged man, with warm eyes, a greyish mustache wearing a navy-blue suit. Smiling from ear to ear she jumps up from her seat and gives him a tight hug.
 
“Daddy!” She squeals.
 
“Hi Darling, sorry for my tardiness.” He replies breaking their embrace.
 
The two converse in their daily doings very briefly, and soon start walking to the promised restaurant.
 
“Min-Jin, there’s some people I want you you meet, and they’re korean.” Mr.Song announces, looking at his daughter.
 
“Who is it? Don’t tell me you’re setting me up?” She pouts.
 
“Aigoo, why would I let go of my beautiful child?” He chides, pinching her cheeks.
 
“Daddy! Stop that! And call me ‘Melody’.” 
 
“Araso, Araso.” He smiles.
 
‘Araso? What?’ Melody her head to one side and enters the restaurant.
 
The Matrie D leads them upstairs to a private booth,where two people where already seated, one male, and one female.
“Ah, Hello Mr. Moon, Mrs. Moon. It’s a pleasure to see you again.” Mr.Song bows and sits down, he then pats the empty space next to him, signaling Melody to do the same.
She looks at him with curiosity and plops down next to him reluctantly. She was growing curiouser and curiouser by the second.


“Oh! Is this your daughter Mr.Song?” The lady she knew as Mrs. Moon ask.
 
 
“Yes, my one and only.”
 
“She’s very pretty.” Mrs. Moon says smiling.
 
Melody says thanks and looks down at her feet, she didn’t know what to do in this situation, was she just being dragged along to one of her dad’s meetings?
With that thought in mind, she felt neglected.
Mr.Moon, seeing Melody’s expression drop, picked up the conversation and directs it towards her.
 
“So Melody, I hear you don’t know much about your home country...”
 
“Oh.” Melody perks up at the sound of her name and smiles kindly.
 
“Sadly, yes. I just never got around to it. It’s not like I don’t want to learn...”
‘I just can’t be bothered.’
Mrs.Moon and Mr.Moon share look with each other and stare at Mr.Song who nods slightly.
 
“Min Jin, I have something to tell you.” 
Melody looks at her father warily and starts thinking the unthinkable.
‘Is he dying? Is he leaving me? Is he gonna say I’m adopted? Is he gonna sell me?’
She starts feeling a kind of electricity zaps through her upper body.
 
“My name is Hyunsoo Moon. I’m the CEO of the broadcasting station KBS. I’m sure you don’t know about it?” Mr.Moon asks. Melody shakes her head rapidly, she was still scared of what they were planning to do.
 
“Honey, how do you feel about moving to Korea?” Her dad asks softly.
She looks at him with bewildered eyes and slightly shifts in her seat uncomfortably.
‘So he is gonna give me away...’
 
“Melody, how do you feel about staring in your own TV show?” 
 
“What.” Was all she could muster up to say.
 
“Sweetie, Mr. and Mrs. Moon are starting off a new program in which a foreigner gets taught the basics of Korea.” Mr. Song explains.
 
“By idols.” Mr. Moon adds nodding.
Melody looks at them; baffled.
 
“Why me?” She raises one eyebrow.
 
“You’re the daughter of someone we know personally, so we know who to contact if something goes wrong...”
 
“Plus, you get to live by yourself with 6-” Mr.Moon shots a look at his wife.
 
“6 what?” Melody thinks out loud.
 
“You’ll see.”
 
“So what do you think? You’re own T.V show, you’re out of school for about 8 months, you get out of the country, and for free may I add?”
Mrs.Moon giggles, wriggling her eyebrows jokingly. 
 
“...I’m sorry.” Melody sighs.
All three heads look at her in disbelief.
This girl was turning down an opportunity that oh so many would kill for.
 
“Darli-”
 
“I’m sorry, but I want to focus on my school work.” She smiles weakly.
 
“Can we please be excused?” Mr.Song chuckles and takes his daughter along with him.
 
“Honey...can you re-consider your decision?” He pleads.
 
“Sorry Dad, but..me? In Korea? Really?” She giggles, trying to imagine all the awkward moments she would most probably encounter.
 
“If you go, I’ll buy you a car.”
 
She shakes her head. Bribery isn’t gonna work.
 
“Fine, if you don’t want to go, I won’t force you.” Her dad looks down and sighs.
 
“Why do you want me to go anyways? Are you trying to get rid off me?” She fakes a sniffle.
 
“Of course not. It’s just...I thought if you went to Korea, you would ya’know. Remember your Mom.”
That struck home.
Her last ever memory of her Mom was when they were visiting Korea when she was 8.
‘Mom. Mom. I miss Mommy. Maybe it won’t hurt to go.’
Without another word to her father, she strides back to the dinner table and says:
 
“When does my flight leave?”
...
 
Hi there.
Crappy start off yes. 
Soorrry if it updated, I just realized some mistakes ;__;
BUT I’m working on Chapter two right now.
Stay tuned! ^^
 
Thanks to @InfiniteLuvrr for subscribing and commenting ;__;