Chapter 1

Chocolate Valentino

 

Chocolate Valentino

 

It was 14 February, Valentine's day, a boy and a girl, in their school uniforms, were walking along a sidewalk as they chatted happily with each other. From the back view, people might have thought that they were a couple as they seemed incredibly close to each other. However, all doubts would be cleared from the front view for they look almost alike. It should not be surprising since those two were siblings after all.

"Waa. Ni-chan has so many gifts!" The girl peeked at the bag her older brother was holding. There were so many gifts that the bag was filled to the brim. "Sugoi ne. Ni-chan is so popular." The girl continued to look at the bag in awe.

"Imotou isn't too bad yourself." the boy pointed to the pink bag his little sister was hugging as he replied. "You are only year one and you have already received so many gifts! Even my classmates gave you some, didn't they?" He shook his head as he recalled how excited his classmates were when they told him that they had prepared valentine's day gifts for his sister. Being a third year, he was rather embarrassed at how his classmates acted. The girl laughed at her brother's comment as they continued to walk.

"Ah. It's red light." The two teenagers stopped at the walkway as they waited for the green man to be lighted up. While waiting, they updated each other on the funny things that had happened in school. Just then, a ball rolled past them, followed by a little boy as both of them headed for the road. "Matte, matte!" The little boy's mother shouted from a distance as she tried to catch up with the boy.

On the road, a distance away, a driver was speeding down the road for he was late for his meeting. His eyes widened when he saw a little boy standing in his way with a ball. He stepped on his brakes hard as he tried to stop his car. However, he was going too fast for the brakes to have much effect on the speed he was travelling in. Thus his car sped and banged into - a teenage boy. The little boy on the other hand was sitting on the pathway as he cried from shock.

It turned out that the boy had threw his bag of gifts onto the floor, rushed towards the boy and pushed him onto the sidewalk opposite where he had ran from so as to save him but ended up being knocked by the car instead. The collision was so great that he was sent flying for a distance before falling onto the road, dead.

Everything happened so fast for the girl as she froze to the ground. She reacted a few seconds later as she stared at the boy who was lying in a pool of blood and screamed, "NIII CHAAAAN!!!"

I snapped my eyes open and stared at the ceiling, gasping for air. "It's that dream again" I said to no one in particular as I covered my eyes with the back of my hand and tried to calm down.

"Dididi" my alarm rang a few minutes later and I dragged myself out of the bed to wash up

"Ohayou gozaimasu" I greeted my mother who was in the kitchen preparing breakfast. "Where's otou-San?"

"Ah. Ohayou, Mei-chan. He went for work earlier as there was an urgent meeting."

"Sou. I shall go and say hi to ni-chan" I said as I turned to walk towards the living room.

"Ohayou gozaimasu, ni-chan." I kneeled in front of a photo frame and watered the rose next to it. "It's a beautiful day ne." I looked out of the window before turning back to look at my brother.

"Mei-chan! Breakfast is ready"

"Hai! Coming!" I took one last look at ni-chan and dusted the photo frame before walking back to the kitchen.


"Gochisousama Dea. The food was really oishii."

"Arigatou." my mother smiled at my compliment.

"I shall be going then. Ittekimasu."

"Itterashai!"

Hi, I am Kinomoto Mei. I am a year one student in my high school and a member of the archery team. My family consists of my otou-San, oka-San and ni-chan. However, ni-chan passed away in an accident years ago. Nonetheless, he'll always be in my heart.

"Ohayou!" I greeted my friends as I stepped into the classroom.

"Ohayou Mei-chan." Yuto-rin smiled

Nakajima Yuto, he is my childhood friend. He is the drummer of school rock band. He loves to drum so much that he always drums on us with his pens.

"Ah. You are early today!" Ryo-chan said as he and Chii-kun joined me at my desk.

Yamada Ryosuke and Chinen Yuri are childhood friends but they are actually quite opposite from each other. Yama-chan is the star player of soccer team while Chii-kun is the star speaker of the debate team. Yama-chan is outgoing and talkative while Chii-kun is really quiet and shy.

"Ohaaa! Yama-chan and Chii-kun!"

"Why is Chinen the only person who is being treated as a guy. I'm called Yuto-rin while Yamada is called Yama-chan." Yuto-rin protested

"It's okay." Chii-kun smiled and said.

"Of course it's okay for you!" Yama-chan pushed him playfully.

"Ne, where is the other person?" I ignored the boys and looked around. Suddenly, I heard a familiar voice behind me.

"Gokigenyou, Kinomoto-San"

I raised an eyebrow and turned around.

"Hitomi-chan, that is creepy." Yuto-rin shivered as he said.

"Hahaha! Ohayou! Which drama is Hitomi-chan addicted to this time? " I laughed as I greeted my dear friend.

Hitomi Daidouji, the lead vocalist of the same rock band as Yuto-rin. She's a really bubbly girl who's often addicted to Japanese drama. She will always end up using the lines from the dramas she loves, for example, this very moment. She is also the childhood friend of Yama-chan and Chii-kun.

"No no! It's not Ohayou! Gokigenyou, Kinomoto-San" Hitomi-chan made a face as she tried again.

"Hai hai. Gokigenyou, Daidouji-San."

"That's better." Hitomi-chan nodded as she sat down at her seat in front of me.

"This doesn't suit Hitomi-chan at all." Yama-chan commented as Chii-kun nodded in agreement. "That's mean!" Hitomi-chan hit Yama-chan's arm as the rest of us laughed.

"Ne, look, it's the famous five" A student looked into the class and said to her friend as she looked at us.

Ah yes, I've almost forgotten to say this. We are known as the famous five in the year one cohort. I guess it's because of how well-known we are in our respective clubs and we always hang out together. Furthermore, my four friends are rather attractive too.

"Sensei is here." Chii-kun said as our form teacher walked in. The guys then went back to their seats.

"Class stand. Bow." the class representative said.

"Ohayou gozaimasu, Sensei" the class greeted the teacher.


The bell for the last lesson before the break rang as we stood up to thank our teacher.

"I want to eat at the pavilion today!" Hitomi-chan requested as she looked at us eagerly.

"Hitomi-chan. You really do not suit being a lady at all!" Yama-chan and she hit him again.

As we walked towards the garden, where the pavilion was, with our bento, we saw Yabu senpai and Ari senpai. "Ohayou, senpaitachi." We called out to them. "Ah, Ohayou." Yabu senpai and Ari senpai turned around.

Yabu senpai is ni-chan's good friend and is the captain of my archery team. Ari senpai is the president of the debate team. Both of them are year three students and they are actually an item. I find them really compatible with each other.

"Tomorrow is the anniversary right?" Yabu senpai asked me and I nodded. "Hai. It's valentine's day again."


"What anniversary is it?" Hitomi-chan asked while we sat down at the pavilion.

"Ni-chan's death anniversary."

"Ah." Yama-chan, Chii-kun and Hitomi-chan looked at their bentos in silent."Uh. Don't be like this. Tomorrow is Valentine's day after all." I hurriedly added

"But Mei-chan will not make any Valentine's goodies for anyone. So don't expect it from her." Yuto added for me.

"Eh?!" The three exclaimed as they looked at me.

"Hai. It's a long story.."


-Flash Back-
That year, I was prepared to give my ni-chan his valentine's chocolate when I get home. We had a reservation at a restaurant like every year because we planned to celebrate the happiness of being single. The truth was that we wanted to keep each other company until one of us became attached. We usually exchange gifts during dinner but from that year on, I could no longer do that.

I was so depressed that I could not eat. I left the valentine gifts in the kitchen when I got home and locked myself in my room as my parents prepared for the funeral service. While mourning over ni-chan's death that night, my phone rang.


-To be continued-