Chapter 1

One Second

 

Taemin POV

 “Tell me more about him.” Onew rested his head on the table and started stirring the cup of Americano in front of him. Pushing the sugar container towards his direction, I curled my lips shyly and replied,

“How many sugar cubes do you want, Hyung?”

“Two please. Now, don’t change the topic.” I dropped a sugar cube into his Americano while he continued stirring his coffee.

Cling…cling…

He… his name is Choi Minho. I met him outside the museum and he was sketching.”

“Oh, so he’s an art student?” I dropped another cube into the steaming hot liquid and nodded my head. “How does he look like?”

“He’s tall... a little tan—he’s father is a soccer coach you see. He’s thoughtful and….” Onew didn’t tell me that I was blushing like a total idiot in love as I mentioned his name, “Minho is such a wonderful person; I think he’s better than me. I don’t think I’m good enough for him but he told me that he wasn’t as wonderful as I thought he was. I don’t know Hyung, I’m afraid that I loved him more than he loves me.”

I lost count of the sugar cubes that I threw into Onew’s drink until the moment he grabbed hold of my wrist, “Woah, chill Taemin…”

“But…he…yesterday….”

“What did Minho do yesterday?” Biting my lips nervously, I pulled my left hand out of the pocket and placed it on the coffee table. Onew stared at my index finger blankly for a few seconds before replying blandly. ‘Oh.”

“Oh….?”

“You’re getting married?”

“Errm….not now, but I guess we are.” I let out a dry laugh and ruffled my hair carelessly, “I’ll be moving out of the dormitory into his apartment.”

“So you guys are cohabitating?” I was pretty convinced that Onew was pissed. He stared at me as if I was a rebellious and foolish kid, “You know, Taemin. Sometimes happens if everything goes like a bullet train.”

“Nothing between Minho and I would be , Hyung. Don't you remember, Hyung? The both of us rented the school dormitory together and nothing was ty.” He nodded his head and gave me a supportive smile.

“Well, if you say so, Taemin. I don’t know but I bet Minho is a really trustable guy.”

I didn’t tell Onew how different Minho and I were—because if I did, I bet he would go against my decision of loving him. Neither did I tell him how hastily and greedily I wanted to make Minho mine—it only took us a second before I was incessantly in love with him.

But isn’t this how love works? No matter how different we were, I know we will always find a way to make thing work.

Because this is love.

…. …. …

Because this is love, I became so weak when I watched Minho falling into a deep coma.

Because this is love, I hated myself so much when the nurse passed me his ring and told me that it was the reason why he got into a car accident.  I would never forget the moment when I saw him lying unconsciously on the bed with a life support beside him.

I sat beside him every single day for a month, waiting anxiously for the moment where he opened his eyes and whisper my name beneath his breath in tears.  During that torturous and tormenting month, I started thinking a lot about us, our relationship and my decision. Maybe Onew was right, maybe my decision was a bad idea.

On the 29th of February, I closed my eyes lethargically for a second and opened again to see Minho staring at me blankly. It took me a few moments before I found the strength to walk towards him and cupped his cheeks with my hands.

“You’re awake…. You’re awake, Minho.” Just as I was about to lean towards him and press my lips against his, Minho parted his lips and asked me coldly,

“Who are you?”

A sad smile crossed my face. I hope that was enough to hide my fear and sadness from Minho; but my eyes never left his. I shifted myself away and asked him something that just ripped my soul apart.

“Don’t you remember me, Minho?”

“Are you someone important?”

My heart sank as I turned around and walked out of the room. That was all the strength I was left with; I collapsed on the floor the moment I knew I was out of Minho’s sight.

 My heart hurts so much.