~Notes in the Window

Reading Behind the Glass

Hope you all like it ^^

 


 

It really wasn’t anything, just a window honestly.  A window that looked a little too bare when I saw it for the first time.  That was before I moved into our new home.  It wasn’t overlooking anything grand.  Actually, it was just facing another window, one from our neighbor’s house.  I told myself that I would get curtains for it.  It was just a too big and a too wide to have any privacy without anything covering it. Ruefully, I noted that I had to remember to close the curtains before doing anything private

 

They were white, the curtains that I bought.  Nothing fancy. Just some blue floral prints, the same color that matched the color scheme of my room.  Well, just the walls.  Nothing else in my room was that color-coordinated.

 

It was fun furnishing my room.  It was like a white page of a sketchbook, a blank sheet where I could design anything. Of course, I was just moving old furniture in, but still. From a point of view facing the window, the bed was placed against the left wall, and a large bookcase on the right wall.  On the side across from the window, is the closet, and a nightstand on the other side of the bed.  Finally, the mirror and dressing table stood in between the bookcase and the door in the far right corner.  As for the window, I placed my desk in against it.  It was an ideal spot, nothing original, but that was fine.  A rug by my bed and nightstand finished off my room.

 

Why place the desk there? Well, for practical reasons.  I could look out the window—although not too much—when I was bored with homework.  The natural light could help me save energy until the night hours, and it blocked out the bottom half of my room, which meant more privacy. I was satisfied.

 

Sitting at my desk that evening, I looked out of the window.  The curtains were open, and I could see across the darkness.  The window across mine had navy blue curtains, though I could see a light shining through.  A figure passed back and forth a couple of times before the light turned out.  Standing up, I walked out of my room moments later when my mom called me down for dinner. 

 

That night, I looked out my window one last time before drawing the curtains, catching another glimpse of the figure in the window across.  Turning around, I turned off the lights before climbing into bed.

 

The next morning when I woke up, I did my daily routine before walking over to the window and sliding the curtains open.  Rays of sunshine fell in, highlighting the dust particles that were floating in the air. Sliding the window open, I took in a breath of morning air.  Smiling, I walked out of my room to get some breakfast, noticing the window across still had its curtains drawn.

 

Coming back to my room later, I was engrossed in my novel that I had left on the coffee table yesterday.  I set my mug of milk on the table before sitting down and continuing with my reading, occasionally sipping my beverage.  It was a normal morning, nothing out of the ordinary.  At least it was, until I looked up.  The curtains were finally opened, unveiling a piece of paper on the window.  In large letters, I read the words

 

Hello beautiful.

 

I didn’t see its writer in the room, so I suppose it was safe to assume he/she had left.  Blushing, I shook my head.  That person is probably teasing.  I was anything but beautiful.  Standing up, I took my mug to go rinse it before returning.  Looking at the paper, I decided to humor the person and give a response in return.  Taking out a piece of paper and a dark marker, I scribbled:

 

 You must be joking, right?

 

 And taped it to the window before leaving to get ready.  I wanted to take a walk around the park, a benefit from the move.

 

Once I arrived, I took in the sight around me.  Children were playing on the playground while their mothers sat on a bench watching them. A group of boys were playing soccer on the grass field on the other side. Taking a seat on an empty bench, I began watching the game.  I wasn’t a soccer fan of any sort, but it was interesting to watch the game. Players could move the ball so quickly and deftly, and it was amazing to me.

 

Taking out my notebook and pencil, I began to write.  The park served as a perfect place for the inspiration that fueled my stories.  In fact, I was so caught up in writing that I barely noticed the soccer ball that had made its way toward me, stopping in front of my feet.  It wasn’t until a person jogged up to me that I looked up. Looking back down, I set aside my notebook and bent to pick up the ball before meeting the eyes of the soccer player.

 

He was visibly taller than I was, maybe a little under six feet.  His face was framed by short, curly brown hair and was set with large doe-shaped eyes that looked very warm and friendly.  He was panting slightly from the game and a sheen of sweat could be seen upon his skin. 

 

“Here,” I said with a smile.  “I know you’re not supposed to touch the ball with your hands, but I figured it would be better than me kicking it too you.  I’ll just pretend I’m a goalie.”

 

He took the ball back with his own hands and grinned at me.

 

“Well, the goalie does get to use his hands to stop the ball.  Thanks.”

 

With a little wave, he turned around and jogged off back to join his team, dropping the ball in the process and dribbling it with his feet.

 

I sat down after a little while, catching myself staring at him.  Shaking my head, I picked up my notebook and pencil to continue writing.  Once I finished, I placed everything back into my bag and stood up.  With one last lingering glance at the soccer game and the tall, brown haired player, I walked away. Checking my watch, I decided I could walk around a little more before going home.

 

Walking on, I discovered a flower path in the park.  It was a sort of alcove as I walked along, with the trees overhead covering the sky, and flowers all along the sidewalk.  Drops of sunlight peaked through the branches, giving the path a surreal and mysterious atmosphere.  Making my way to the end, I found myself facing the street, with an occasional car here and here. A look at the street name confirmed that I was only a block away from home, and reassured that I wasn’t lost, I made my way home. 

 

After lunch that day, I went back up to my room.  I was a little tired, and wanted to take a nap, despite the fact that my sleeping schedule would be messed up if I did.  Walking up to my desk, I set my bag on the table before looking up.  Surprised, I saw a new message on the window, and again no person to show. “Nope.” Huh, that person was serious? Taking out a new sheet of paper, I scribbled a note in response before taping it on the window in place of the previous one. Smiling, I turned around and decided to take the nap anyway.  Maybe I’ll wake up to something more interesting.

 

*****

 

Running over to my gym bag, I took out a towel and a bottle of water before sitting down on the grass. I played a really fun game today, but boy was I tired. Once I had caught my breath and taken a drink of water, I looked toward the bench.  It was empty, so I suppose the girl had gone home.  Grinning I stood up and packed my bag before going home.

 

I didn’t know if she realized it, but I was her neighbor.  I didn’t even know until I saw her face at the park today.  It may sound a little creepy, but I saw her face through my window this morning.  I had just woken up, and when I opened the curtains, I saw her in her room reading at her desk. I don’t know how long I stood there and stared until I caught myself. After thinking for a little bit, I finally taped up a piece of paper that read “Hello Beautiful”.  I wonder how she would take that.

 

After taking a shower and drying my hair, I decided to take a look outside my window to see what I would find.  Sure enough, there was a piece of paper hanging in her window.  Reading it, I shook my head.  “You must be joking, right?” Hmm, I guess she doesn’t see herself they way I see her. Well, nothing else like a simple answer to crush that doubt. Taking out a fresh new sheet of paper, I wrote one single word on it:

 

 Nope

 

Before taping it back on the window. Hearing my mom call me down for a late lunch, I checked the note once more before going downstairs.

 

When I returned to my room, it was pretty late in the afternoon.  After lunch, I decided to watch a movie with my older brother.  Our movie just ended, and I wanted to rest a bit before going down to dinner.  Seeing the window, I decided to check if there was any message waiting for me.  Leaning over my desk, I took my sheet of paper off before focusing on the window across from mine. 

 

 In that case, thank you :)

 

It was a simple message, nothing fancy, but it let me know she was willing to converse with a stranger across the way.  Continuing the chain, I posted up another response before taking out the book I was reading and settling down on my bed to finish it. Again, nothing special, simply

 

You’re welcome :D

 

 

That was the last time that day I wrote something to tape in the window.  After dinner, I played games with my brother on our xbox until it was time to sleep.  I didn’t notice anything in the window when I went to close the curtains, but maybe that was because I was too tired to tell. When I woke up the next morning, I yawned before going over to my window.  Opening the curtains always made me more awake, especially during the summer when it was easy to sleep in.  Looking up, I saw there was something else in the window, this time with more content.  Taking my paper off, I looked across to focus on the words.

 

Good morning to you, whenever that is. 

I hope you’ll have a wonderful day!

 

Well, if it was from her, I’m sure I would have a wonderful day.  It looked like she was an early riser…well, it was 10 in the morning, a little early for me, but late for others.  Who knows when she really got up. After doing my daily routine, I walked down to the kitchen with a smile on my face.

 

“Yah, why are you smiling so early in the morning?”

 

I looked up at my older brother sitting at the island with a cup of coffee.

 

“It’s not that early, it’s already 10 am.”

 

He looked at me bewilderedly. I grimaced as I turned around toward the cupboard for some cereal.  I wasn’t known as the early riser in the family, and I was usually still in bed at this time on a normal summer morning.  I suppose it was kind of weird for my brother to hear that from me.

 

“Wow, that’s something I haven’t heard before.”

“Well, there’s always room for change, right?” I said before pouring some Apple Jacks into my bowl and going to the fridge for some milk.

 

“I guess….”

 

He took his coffee into the living room, all the while looking at my suspiciously. I shrugged my shoulders at his face and continued on.  While eating my breakfast, I looked outside the window.  It seemed like I was doing that a lot these past days.  The day actually looked really nice out, and I guess a trip to the park wouldn’t be a bad idea. Maybe if I’m lucky, I can see that girl again.

 

Suddenly really excited, I hurriedly ate the last of my cereal before rinsing the bowl and setting it on the dish rack.  I went upstairs to change, and stalled a little bit, deciding on what to wear.  After a little while, I threw on a shirt and some jeans to match it, knowing that the girl wouldn’t care what I wore if she really cared about me instead.  Wow, that’s getting a little too ahead of myself, isn’t it? Well, we’ll see.

 

After finally getting ready, I yelled something about going to the park before leaving the house.  In my excitement, I ended up jogging the whole way there, going towards the grass field where I saw her yesterday.  Slowing down so I could search for her, it was much to my relief that she was indeed there at the park, sitting on the same bench as she was the day before.  Catching my breath and walking slowly up to her, I saw that she was writing in a notebook again. Now, how to start the conversation…

 

“Here for another soccer game?”

 

She jerked slightly before looking up at me.  Whoops, I guess I scared her.

 

“Sorry for surprising you.”

“Ah, no it’s okay.  I just get really preoccupied when I start writing. And actually, no I wasn’t here for another soccer game.”

“Aww, and here I thought you were a fan.”

 

She giggled before shaking her head.

 

“I’m not much of a soccer person, but watching was entertaining yesterday.”

“Well, that’s good.  It’s nice to have an audience once in awhile.”

“Glad to be of service.  Do you want to sit?”

 

She scooted over a little bit before gesturing to the empty space.

 

“Don’t mind if I do, thanks.”

“No problem.”

“So, what are you writing?”

 

She blushed and clutched her notebook closer to herself.

 

“Just stories.  They’re kind of stupid really, but I enjoy writing them.”

“If it’s something you enjoy, then it’s not stupid.”

“Thanks for thinking so.”

“You’re welcome.”

“So what do you enjoy?”

“Well, I think you can guess what sport I like the best.”

“Soccer.”

“Right, but I like reading also.  It’s not really something I do often, but now it’s summer, I figured I can get some reading done.”

“Really? What genre do you like?”

“Action, science fiction, mystery, something along those lines.”

“Mm…I’m more of a romance, realistic fiction person.  Though, I really like The Host by Stephenie Meyer and the Alex Rider series by Horowitz.  Those are science fiction and action.  Have you read those?”

“Can’t say I have, but I’ll make sure to check it out sometime.”

“Any recommendations for me?”

“James Patterson is a well-known action/mystery writer.  Maybe check out his books?”

“I’ll be sure too the next time I stop at the library.”

 

Suddenly, a ringtone began playing. She dug into her bag before taking out her phone and looking at my apologetically.

 

“Sorry…”

“No, it’s all right, but you should probably take that call now.”

“Right...”

 

She pressed the answer call button and held her phone up to her ear.  I looked away and across the field to give her some privacy, but I couldn’t help hear her voice.  It began to sound annoyed and then urgent.  Looking back, I saw she had already put away her notebook and was standing up.  I stood up as well and waited for her to end the call.  Once she did, she looked up at me.

 

“I’m so sorry, but I have to go now."

"Is something wrong?"

"I don't know.  It sounds like my mom is in trouble."

"Then you should go to her."

 

A look of relief spread across her face.

 

"Thank you for understanding."

 

And she promptly turned around and jogged away before I could stop her.

 

“Wait..!”

 

But she had already crossed the street and went on home.

 

“I wanted to ask what your name was…”

 

Sighing, I flopped back down on the bench and looked dejectedly at the ground.  Well, I guess I should have asked for her name first, but it slipped my mind.  I don’t know how, but it did.  I could always ask her in the window, but she’s never even seen me, so it would technically be like a second person to her.  I’ll just have to wait for the next time.  Standing back up again, I made my way slowly home.

 

*****

 

Rushing through the door, I ran to where my mom was in the kitchen.  She sounded really urgent and worried on the phone, but to my utter surprise, she was sitting at the dinner table calmly sipping her coffee.

 

“Mom? Are you all right?”

 

She looked up at me and smiled.

 

“Why of course dear, why wouldn’t I be?”

“Then what was that phone call all about.  I thought you were in pain or something.”

“Oh I was.  I couldn’t find where your father put the coffee, and I guess I overreacted.”

 

I slumped against the wall and stared at her.  Really? This was what I was rushing home too after meeting a cute guy?

 

“Sorry honey…I’ll try to be a little more level-headed the next time I call you.”

“No…it’s fine, mom.”

 

Turning around, I trudged upstairs to my room before opening the door and flopping down on my bed.

 

So I met a guy who likes soccer and reading…not a bad first impression at all.  Gasping, I sat up straight before flopping back down, realizing that I didn’t even ask for his name.  How did that even happen? Isn’t that like the first thing you have to do when meeting someone.  Thinking back, he didn’t even ask for mine. Well, that was weird.  I’m sure I’ll meet him again soon, since he seems to go to the park pretty often.

 

Suddenly, the doorbell rang.  Hm, I wonder who that is.

 

“Honey, could you get that?! I’m a little busy in the kitchen right now.”

“Sure mom!”

 

Rushing downstairs, I went to the door while smoothing down my hair.  I guess I look all right.  With that, I opened the door to meet the eyes of the cute guy at the park, only this time he was holding a plate of cookies.

 

“Oh, hi!”

“Hello beautiful.”

 

I looked at him curiously.

 

“You must be joking, right?”

“Nope.”

 

Grinning, I responded to his short answer.

 

“Well, in that case, thank you.”

 

Wow, that conversation seems familiar.

 

“No problem.  Aside from that, you’re probably wondering why I’m here.”

“Yeah…you’re not a stalker, are you?”

 

He stared at me before chuckling, shaking his head.

 

“No, no.  Nothing like that.  Actually, I’m your neighbor from over there, and my mom has been meaning to greet you guys, since you just moved in.  She’s actually busy right now, but she sent me over with a plate of cookies to welcome you into the neighborhood.”

 

I noticed he was point to the house where I first saw the note.  Looking back at him, he held out the plate to me.  Receiving the plate, I saw that they were sugar cookies with hard icing on top.

 

“Oh, sugar cookies, my favorite!  Please tell your mother thank you.”

“Will do. They’re my favorite as well.  Anyway, I have to get going, but welcome to the neighborhood.  Maybe we can hang out sometime.”

“I’d like that, and thank you again.”

 

He stepped back as he waved his hand goodbye and turned around to leave.  Before he to the sidewalk, I called out.

“Wait!”

 

He turned around, surprise written on his face.

 

“Yes?”

“I forgot to introduce myself before, but I’m Ha Na.  Kim Ha Na.”

“Min Ho, Choi Min Ho.”

 

He said that with a smile before waving and walking away.  I waved back until he turned away, and watched him go back into his house.  Stepping back inside, I closed the door and met my mom in the kitchen.  She was making something for lunch I suppose.

 

“Who was that?”

“The neighbor coming to welcome us.  He came and gave us cookies his mother made.”

“How nice! I’ll have to go over and thank them later.  You’ll help me won’t you?”

“Of course mom.  Can I set these in the kitchen?”

“Sure, leave them on the table.”

 

Taking one cookie, I set the plate on the dinner table before walking back upstairs, nibbling on it. 

 

So my neighbor was the boy I met at the park.  Things sure turned out interesting, and it’s only my second day in this house.  I have a feeling it will get a lot more fun these next upcoming weeks.

 

Walking over to my desk, I took down my paper from the window and looked across.  The room was unoccupied at the moment, but once I read the note, I knew who's room it was, and everything else clicked.

 

It’s 10:10 am right now, and so far it is a wonderful day. 

I’m sure it will always be if I’m going to see you ^^

 


 

Done! Hm...I read it through and it sounds a bit boring...tell me what you think!

Comment and subscribe!

<3 WinterRose