The Origin of the Valkin

The Beginning of a New Species

The Origin of the Valkin
One-shot

          Into the blood soaked ground, a lone warrior dropped to her knees and shivered with tiredness. But, an arm still shot out to raise her sword against the legion that was marching closer to her by the second. Her dented chest plate swallowed her petite figure. The winds roared, making her long hair whip around her in a cloak of black, but she could still hear the distinct twang of a bowstring being released.  She bellowed enraged; the black arrow pierced the centre of the chest plate, the force of it sending her flying backwards.

            The arrow had punctured the metal, boring into her chest just enough where her heart would met the arrowhead with each beat. The beating of her own strong and brave heart was going to be the death of her. But her enraged scream had woken two nearby gods slumbering together through the brutal, wintry decade.

            They stirred and looked down upon the maiden, seeing within her eyes courage burning brightly. Bravery and strong will had marker her entire life, but the light ebbed with death, and they mourned the loose. Hyuna, the female god, whispered that they should save the wounded maiden; to preserve the courage that seeped from the warrior because it was so precious. Bi Rain agreed, and with Hyuna, they gave up lightening that would cleave through the ether and strike the dying maiden.

            The light was violent and faded ever-so slowly, making the legion tremble with fear and terror.

            When the blackness faded, the warrior awoke to find herself in a strange place. She was untouched, her human mortality unchanged. But see an immortal daughter and son would be born from her – a daughter and a son who would posses her courage, Bi Rain’s cunning intelligence, and Hyuna’s mirth and feyi like beauty. Though this daughter and son would enjoyed the power of lightning for sustenance, they both would also inherited Bi Rain’s arrogance and Hyuna’s acquisitiveness, which made them all the more endeared by the two gods.

            The gods were content and the maiden adoring her new babies. Yet after an age had flew by, the gods heard yet another female call out for courage as she lay dying on the ground dying from a battle against a dark enemy. She was not human, thought, but a Furie, one of the Lore – that strata of clever beings that had convinced humans that they only exist in imagination. Scarce moments had the creature – in the blistering desert, her chest slowly stopping its movement.

            “Our halls are great, though our family is so small,” Hyuna said, her eyes sparkling so brightly that a mariner in the north was briefly blinded and almost lost his way. Bi Rain took her hand, unable to deny her. Those surrounding dying Furie saw the lightning light up the sky once more.

            And it would strike again and again in the coming years continuing on well after female warriors – be they human, furie, demonness, sirens, vila, or any brave creature from the Lore – knew to pray for it as they died.

            Then the Valkin were born… 


            I know for a fact that I followed the prologue that Kresley Cole wrote  A LOT, but still. I couldn’t help it. When I was re-reading the whole series that she wrote, all of the names were pairings from Kpop. Yes, I know, shot me, stone me, or brick me. But I don’t care. Because I know that I will be having a whole lot of fun writing her series in Kpop form.

~BlackOut