Final

Realities of Nightmares

 

                “Yeah, whatever Hyuk!” Kyuhyun yells as he approaches the door.

                “Drive safely you idiot!” Hyukjae yells back with a smile.

                “I will. You should go too. Donghae is already waiting for you, I bet,” Kyuhyun yells again before he proceeds and leaves the bar without glancing back.

                “I will. I will,” Hyukjae mutters to himself before pushing himself up and staggers his way out. He fishes his car keys, hops on his car then starts the engine. He turns his attention to the rearview mirror where a picture of him and Donghae are pinned. He smiles a bit before speeding away into the night.

.: | :.

                Kyuhyun feels something bad has happened. He doesn’t know why but he suddenly had the urge to call his best friend and ask and so he did but nobody picked it up. He still feels dreadful and he thinks that the only way for him to feel relaxed is to confirm that his best friend is alright.

                Finally having decided his course of action, he takes Jongwoon with him and hurries of to where Donghae and Hyukjae live. Not a moment too soon, he sees the house but he feels his heart clench. He wills the pain to go away but it doesn’t. He still wonders why.

                Before he parks his car, his phone rings. When he sees Donghae’s number, he suddenly feels nauseous. With trembling hands, he answers the phone with shaky hands.

                “Donghae?”

                “K-Kyu… H-Hyuk… he…” Donghae hiccups on the phone.

                “W-what ha-happened?” The dreadful feeling washes over him like a flash flood. He clutches the steering wheel tighter and ignores the fact that his son is looking at him worriedly.

                “Car a-acci… accide-nt… Hyu-Hyukkie… d-dead…” Donghae hiccups once more before he starts wailing. Unconsciously, Kyuhyun drops the phone and his eyes widens. Even a stupid person can decipher that message.

                Kyuhyun’s tears threaten to fall but he doesn’t care. Who would at this time? Without another word, he drives off without knowing where to go. He just drives and drives, ignoring his son’s calls. He keeps on driving and finds himself in front of a hospital.

                Kyuhyun walks aimlessly around the hospital with Jongwoon in his arms till he hears loud wails and a person yelling. “HYUKJAE! HYUKJAE ISN’T DEAD! HE’S COMING BACK FOR ME! HE SAID HE’S GOING TO MARRY ME! HYUKJAE! HYUKJAE WAKE UP GOD DAMN IT!”

                Donghae keeps shaking Hyukjae’s body, crying and desperately trying to ignore the hands on his shoulder. Kyuhyun drops Jongwoon down carefully on the ground without averting his eyes on the crying man. Jongwoon’s crying now too as he runs towards his uncle.

                “Jongwoon! What are you do- OH! Kyuhyun! Thank god you’re here! Please tell them Hyukkie’s not dead. Please? Please tell them Hyukkie’s just sleeping. Please tell me this is all just a dream… Please Kyu…” Donghae whispers the last part as he desperately clings onto his friend’s shirt. Kyuhyun couldn’t contain his emotions any longer and let himself cry.

                “Donghae, stop denying it.”

                “I’M NOT DENYING ANYTHING! HYUKKIE’S ALIVE AND HE’S-”

                “He’s dead Donghae! Hyukjae’s dead.” Kyuhyun cups Donghae’s face as their tears cascade their faces. “Accept it Hae. Accept that he’s dead and he isn’t coming back.”

                “I can’t…” Donghae whispers. “I love him too much to accept it.”

                “You have to try Donghae. You have to. For Hyukjae.”

                Donghae stares at Kyuhyun for a full minute. Tears endlessly fall on both their faces which is red. They have to accept reality. They have to accept that Hyukjae isn’t going to come back and he never will. Not in this lifetime.

                “He. Is. Not. Dead! HE’S YOUR FRIEND, ISN’T HE? SO WHY ARE YOU SAYING THAT HE’S DEAD KYUHYUN HUH?” Donghae screeches while punching Kyuhyun’s chest.

                “HE IS MY FRIEND! YOU ARE HIS LOVER! IT’S HARD, I KNOW BECAUSE HYUKJAE WAS THERE FOR ME. ALWAYS THERE FOR ME!” Kyuhyun shouts, startling Donghae. Kyuhyun grips the man’s collar and shoves him on the wall due to anger. His grip eventually loosens as his head rests on Donghae’s shoulder. “He’s my friend Donghae. He was my friend and always will be. But he’s gone now and he won’t come back no matter how hard we try. He won’t come back Hae. He won’t.”

                “Why is this so easy for you Kyu? How could you let him go easily like he’s nothing?”

                “It’s not easy for me too. Hyuk’s my very first friend and I was devastated when I heard that he’s…” Kyuhyun trails off because he starts crying once more. Donghae holds on to him and hugs the taller male. A moment later, Kyuhyun pulls away and cups the smaller male’s face once again. “I know it’s hard for you. It’s hard for me too. It’s hard for me to accept that he’s dead. But please Hae… please?”

                “Daddy?” Jongwoon calls. Kyuhyun turns his attention towards his son who’s currently hugging a nurse.

                “What is it baby?”

                “Daddy, wake up.”

                “What do you mean wake up? I’m awake! Right Donghae?” Kyuhyun asks the man whose face is still sandwiched between his hands. He screeches when Donghae turns into Jongwoon.

                “Daddy, wake up!”

                “What do you mean…”

                Kyuhyun wakes up with a start. He looks around to see that he’s still in his room with Jongwoon looking at him worriedly.

                “Are you alright Daddy? You were crying in your sleep just now,” Jongwoon says. Kyuhyun sits up and opens his arm wide as Jongwoon crawls towards him and pecks him on the lips.

                “Yeah, daddy’s alright,” Kyuhyun mumbles as he hugs his son and sways them back and forth.

                “What did you dream about?”

                With that, Kyuhyun stops moving making Jongwoon look at him worriedly once more. The older male reaches out for his phone and speed dials his best friend number in hopes that the dream is just really a dream. The phone rings but nobody answers it after a few attempts so he rummages his closet to find something, anything to wear. He pulls Jongwoon with him and they drive off to Hyukjae’s house.

                “Daddy, what’s wrong? You’re scaring me,” Jongwoon whimpers.

                “I’m sorry baby. Daddy is scared too.”

                “Why?”

                “Daddy had a dream. He wants to confirm if the dream is real or not,” Kyuhyun assures with a wavering smile.

                No one utters a word after. Jongwoon clasps on his father’s free hand to show his support while Kyuhyun tries his best to concentrate on the road. In the dream he had, Hyukjae died in a car accident and that mere fact made him concentrate more.

                “We’re here now baby. Let’s go,” Kyuhyun says as he parks the car by the curb. He picks Jongwoon up from the passenger seat before walking towards the patio.

                “Kyuhyun? What are you doing here? And why did you bring your kid?” Donghae asks when he opens the door after Kyuhyun knocked.

                “Is Hyuk here?”

                “Who’s at the door Hae?” Hyukjae shouts from behind. Donghae moves and opens the door wider for his boyfriend to see. “Kyuhyun? What brings you down here?”

                Hyukjae didn’t get his answer because his best friend tackles him to a hug. He falls down on the floor groaning. He wants to push his best friend away but the sniffling sounds made him think otherwise.

                “Kyu? Kyu, are you crying?” Hyukjae asks. He tries to push the taller male away from him but the latter tightens his hug on him. “Kyuhyun what’s wrong?”

                Donghae carries Jongwoon inside, ignoring his boyfriend’s stares for help. Hyukjae on the other hand, sits up and tries once again to pull himself away from his friend’s tight hug.

                “Kyuhyun, I can’t help you if you don’t tell me what’s wrong,” Hyukjae whispers.

                “I thought you were dead,” the crying male mumbles.

                “Speak up Kyu.”

                “I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD OK?! I DREAMT ABOUT YOU DYING IN A CAR ACCIDENT! It was so vivid that I thought it was true.”

                Hyukjae bites back a laugh as well as Donghae who’s currently in the living room feeding Jongwoon. The former tries and successfully manages to pull away from his friend. He bites down another laugh when he sees the state his friend is in.

                “Kyu, look at me.” Hyukjae wipes some tears on Kyuhyun’s face. “I’m not yet dead, obviously but I think your reaction is really cute. Am I that important to you?” Hyukjae teases with a small laugh. He stops and stares at his friend with wide eyes when the latter nodded his head. “R-really?

                “You stupid monkey! Of course you’re important to me!”

                It’s a wonderful moment for the best friends. Seeing Hyukjae and Kyuhyun hugging each other on the floor made Donghae tear up. It isn’t every day that Kyuhyun shows his affection so this moment really is precious that he couldn’t help himself but steal a few stolen shots. It is, however, ruined by Jongwoon burping really loud.

                “What did you feed my son?”

                Laughter emancipates inside the house and the atmosphere once again becomes light. 

 



 

Since I have no more stories to post. lol. But yeah. Not my best but definitely the most emotional for me. The story behind this one is just... Ok. i'll stop the drama now. Thank you to my subscribers. I love you people so much! If only I could all hug you, I would.