Wings

The Broken Wings

“Yuri! I thought from all of those people, you would understand the most!”

“But…but it’s my dream, dad! I wanted to fly!”

“You know what happened in the past…” Her father looked at the direction of a picture nailed on the wall—a picture of a woman with a perfect eye smile. “I just don’t want the same thing happen to you…”

Hearing him using her mother as an excuse made her boiled up. “This is not fair, okay? Just because a misfortunate event occurred to mom, it doesn’t mean I will end up like her!”

“I’m sorry but I have made up my mind! You won’t and I will never let you be a pilot!” He paused for one last blow. “And that’s final!”

---

Ever since she was a little girl, she always saw her mother in awe whenever she was leading a plane. Little Yuri back then doesn’t even know that it’s not common for a lady to be a pilot. As she grew up, she finally realized that her mother’s choice of occupation is beyond all odds and yes, she respected her mother even more because of it.

At the age of seven, Kwon Yuri had already found out what she is going to be.

She is going to be a pilot. Just like her dearest mom.

Unfortunately for Yuri, her older brother and their father; they lost her a few years ago on a plane crash. Their mother and several passengers are nowhere to be found up until now. And even though it crushed her hearts into pieces, Yuri still believe that if someday she becomes a successful pilot…she will finally meet her mother again.

As stupid as it sound, she kept on relying into that wishful thinking just to continue to move on with her life. It has been exactly ten years after her mother’s accident and it is on the day when her father stomped on her wings in order to stop her from flying.

“Dad, no matter what you said. You can’t part me away from my wings.”

She packed all of her belongings and wore an old bracelet she used to put on every day when she was little. A bracelet with a plane shaped gold bead from her late mother as a gift for her fourth birthday. She didn’t know where to run but at least she can be away from her father.

At least she is with him—the love of her life. From there, she can think straight.

Before jumping off her window, she took one last look at her mother’s photograph lying on her desk. “Dear mom, please take a good care at dad and oppa. You will be forever in my heart. I love you.”