Prologue: Part 1 of 2

My Persona.

                “Happy birthday to you… dear Haerin, happy birthday to you!”

                The loud and robust noise mixed with the warmth of the brightly lit candles on the sweet strawberry ice-cream cake was filled with happiness, a happiness that every living child would desire to experience once in a lifetime.

                 I gave a great big smile filled with wonder and flushed in embarrassment at the end of the birthday song even though I knew I liked it. And they knew it, too.

                “Ah!” Chaerin, my younger sister, pointed at the melting candles on the cake. “It’s melting! The wax is falling, quick, blow them! Blow them before it’s too late!”

                “I know, I know, let me make a wish first!” I said quickly.

                I closed my eyes and wished that I Umma, appa, and Chaerin will be with me for my birthday every single year, blessing me with happiness. Then, I blew the almost half melted candles.

                “What did you wish for?” Appa whispered curiously into my ears.

                “Shh! I can’t tell anyone. Or it won’t come true.” I whispered back.

                “C’mon, just tell it to Appa. I promise I won’t tell anyone.”

                “Promise me, okay?” I held out my pinky.

                Appa took it and we made our pinky promise.

                I placed my mouth close to his ear and whispered my wish. He just smiled at my simple wish.

                “You think it’ll come true? I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone.” I frowned.

                “Of course it will. I’ll make it come true every year.” Appa assured me.

                “Umma! Appa and Haerin are keeping secrets from us!” Chaerin announced loudly.

                “Oh really? I’ll have to know now.” Umma tried to feign her amusement to Chaerin.

                Suddenly, Appa’s phone rang. He checked the person calling and then picked me up off his lap.

                “I’ll be right back, okay?” He smiled for the last time.

                I nodded as his expression grew solemn. He left the dining room and I couldn’t hear a word he was about to say to the person on the other side of the phone.

                “Umma, who is Appa talking to?” I asked.

                “Probably someone from work. C’mon let’s eat the cake before it melts!”

                “I get the biggest piece!” Chaerin yells.

                Continuous voices of laughter echoed throughout the cozy room as we ate until we could not swallow another bite.

                On that same night, I was awakened by Appa’s voice speaking on the phone. The slipped out of my bed curiously and opened the door slightly. The living room’s light was on. My parents were wide awake and had worried expressions displaying obviously on their faces, like a sculpture in a display case. There was another man in the room, someone I’ve never seen before. The atmosphere felt uneasy.

                I let out a small shriek when a hand tapped me from behind. I jerked backward and saw Chaerin’s sleepy face.

                “What’s happening, unni?”

                “Shhh!” I said.

                The door opened wider letting more light escape into the bedroom. I turned around to see Appa looking down at me. He let out a very low sigh. Then, his eyes became serious looking at me for a moment that felt like forever. I looked back at him trying to prepare to absorb whatever he had to say.

                “Haerin, listen to me carefully.” He placed his hands on my shoulder. I felt a load of responsibility rushing into me.

                “You’re going to leave this house with Chaerin tonight. This is Mr. Han, a friend of Appa. You’ll go with him to somewhere.”

                The man appeared in the doorway and bowed stiffly to me.

                “How about you, Appa?” I asked.

                “Appa will come later. But right now, get change and leave with Chaerin quickly. Chaerin, listen to your sister and Mr. Han okay?”

                Chaerin nodded.

                “But Appa, why are we leaving?” she asked.

                “You’ll see when you get there. Appa has a surprise for you.” He smiled, but I could tell it was forced.

                “Really? Is it a big surprise?” Chaerin asked excitedly.

                “Yes, a very big one. Now go get changed so you can go out, okay?”

                “Yes’sir!” Chaerin saluted and went into the bedroom to change.

                “Appa, what is really going on?” I asked when the bedroom door was shut.

                “Haerin, don’t ask too much now. I’ll explain later. I have a very important task for you. Will you be able to do it?”

                I nodded. He took my hand and placed an object in my hand.

                “Take this pendant with you and keep it safe. Do not give to anyone. Always keep it close to you, okay? Appa with meet up with you girls soon.”

                “Don’t worry, I’ll keep it safe.”

                Loud knocks came from the front door. Umma gasped.

                “Daeho, I’ll put the girls in your hand. Please make sure they’re safe at all time.”

                “I’ll protect them with my life.” Mr. Han responded.

                Chaerin came out of the bedroom.

                “I’m all ready to go!” She exclaims.

                “C’mon let’s go.” Mr. Han took both of our hands. We headed toward the back door.

                The loud knocks continued from the front door. I turned around a few times to look. When we got outside, Chaerin skipped happily into the car. I could hear the door break open. I ran back and looked from outside the window.

                “C’mon let’s go, Haerin.” Mr. Han tugged onto my arm.

                Several men in dark suits rushed into the house.

                “Where are the files?” One of then asked.

                “I don’t have whatever you’re looking for.” Appa answered.

                “Are you playing stupid with me right now? You know my patience is very limited.”

                “Please stop bothering us. My husband said he doesn’t have it!” Umma said.

                “No one asked you to speak.” The man, then, hit Umma across the face sending her down to the floor.

                “Umm-“ I tried to scream, but Mr. Han muffled my voice with his hand over my mouth.

                 “Now let’s not resort to violence-“ Appa said.

                “Where are the files?” The man pulled out a gun and pointed it at Appa. His whole body froze in terror. He took a step backward.

                Tears began rolling down my cheeks as I watched the scene. I couldn’t do anything but watch from the outside. Appa closed his eyes.

                “You think I’m going to just let you die so easily? I’ll ask again, where are the files? Or she’ll die first.” The man pointed the gun at Umma.

                “No! I’ll give it to you.”

                Appa turned to my direction. He saw me through the window and signaled me to leave. He walked toward a shelf near the back door. He quickly pulled out a gun and pointed it at the man. A loud bang came from inside the house toward my direction. Appa let go of the gun and fell on the window sill. His face was facing me and his eyes were wide opened.  

                “Leave.” he mouthed his last word to me.

                Blood was dripping down his head to his neck.   I felt Mr. Han pulling me away forcefully.

                “Appa..” I mumbled in a shaking voice. “Appa…”

                “Haerin, let’s go, it’s very dangerous here.”

                Another bang came from inside. Umma lied motionless on the floor. A dark pool of blood originating from her body stained the carpet.

                I was so terrified at the moment I didn’t know what to do.

                I refused to leave so he picked me up. I didn’t fight back. I couldn’t do anything else besides praying that none of this was true.

                Mr. Han carried me into the car and started driving immediately.

                “What took you so long, unni? Didn’t you hear? Appa has a big surprise for us!” Chaerin reached her hand into the air.

                “Yes, a big surprise.” I didn’t know what to tell Chaerin, but I knew I had to stay strong.

                I stared at the mirror in the car and noticed smoking fuming out of the house. Bright red flames appeared from the window. I quickly covered Chaerin’s eyes.

                “Hey! What are you doing! I can’t see!” She tried to pull my hand away but I didn’t let go.

                “The ride is going to be long. Let’s play a game.”

                “What kind of game?”  

                 I took out the pendant and placed it on her hand.

                “I’ll cover your eyes, and you’ll guess what this is.”

                “Okay. Is it edible?”

                “Guess again.”

                I let her keep guessing until we turned the corner and the reflection of the burning house was out of sight.

                I knew shouldn’t have told him my wish. It isn’t going to come true now.