The Power of Knowing - Epilogue

The Power of Knowing

 

           The date was November 28, 2013. It was our turn to host Thanksgiving dinner. I was looking forward to all the people coming over to eat with us. The small apartment I once called home was replaced with a bigger, more expensive but affordable condo. With a total of fifteen guests coming, it would be a struggle to get them all to fit on the dining table plus another extension that I bought for the occasion specifically.

            “Yeobo,” I said, looking around for my husband. Well, my husband in my mind oddly enough to say. I wasn’t able to travel to America with my partner to get married and come back like Heechul and Geng did. But calling him ‘honey’ was enough.

            “Yes,” he answered from the small study we made out of the spare room in the condo.

            “Did you call Sungmin and Youngwoon to make sure that they were coming?” I asked him, wiping my hands on my apron. As much as I hated to wear it since he bought it for me I had no other choice but to wear it.

            There was no answer right away so I headed in the study, leaning against the doorframe. “Yeobo, did you hear me?”

            “Who’re they again? Are they the one couple from Shin?” he pressed his lips into a firm line as he tried to remember the guests I invited.

            “You must be thinking of Donghae and Hyukjae.” I said, laughing as I entered the room. He held his arms out after spinning around on his chair childishly. I felt myself being pulled onto his lap and I wrapped one arm around his neck as he pulled my legs up. “Sungmin and Youngwoon were the ones we went on that double date with a few days ago.”

            His brows furrowed and he kissed my neck with his pouty lips. “Are you sure?”

            “Of course I’m sure.” I confirmed with the nod of the head. I held his free hand on my stomach, playing with the ring on his finger that I gave him.

            “Let’s go,” I said, getting out of his hold, “we have to greet the first of our guests.” He sighed, shaking his head. “Please yeobo, we promised to host this year since it’s the first one that you’re back.”

            Since he knew he had no chance at me giving in, he got up off his chair and took my hand. “You’re lucky I love you.”

            Rolling my eyes, I just scoffed. “And you’re lucky that at least you remember that.”

            We went through our condo to get to the front door. Between the two of us we had a lot of stuff to unpack that we hadn’t gotten to yet. I even stepped over a box or two to get through the maze of it all. Opening the door we had no problem though and for once we did seem like a real married couple.

            “Henry!” Sungmin said, throwing my arms around my neck to hug me. Youngwoon stood behind him with a bottle of champagne for me to take.

            “Try not to hog him. I don’t like when people feel him up,” his jealous voice sounded.

            Sungmin laughed and hit the latter’s arm playfully. “Shut up Zhou Mi.”

 


a/n: I wanted to make the epilogue a bit longer but, eh, I couldn't really work anything out. I'll edit everything soon, so sorry if there are mistakes. Out of seven subscribers I only got one comment. I try not to pry for comments but I usually I get more feedback than this so ... Comment if you will and subscribe as well if you want.

As another note, short-term/long-term memory loss are both forms of Alzheimers and can be curable. My cousin's friend suffered an injury when he lost his memory and he's slowly been regaining it as he keeps swimming (because he's a swimmer, duh). With memory loss, as far as I know, the only thing peole mainly retain is how to do basic functioning. However, like my cousin's friend, he lost the memory of how to eat and drink. It all really depends on the severity of a person's case to determine how much they loose memory-wise. 

To write this, I had to do a fair amount of research. I plan to major in English and minor in psychology/computer design (I still have time to decide). And my cousin (with the injured friend) and my other cousin both major(ed) in that subject (my other cousin [the second one mentioned] just graduated).

Also, to finish off this abnormally long author's note: the Thanksgiving day date was searched on Google by just typing in 'Thanksgiving 2013'. It's a good idea to go back and pay attention to the dates whever they pop up if you didn't really pay much mind to them.