Strangers

The Pool Cleaner

I wake up early in the morning, not yet used to the idea of sleeping in. My mom calls my name from downstairs, informing me that she's leaving for work. I yell a quick goodbye, reaching out to turn off my ringing iPhone. I grab the remote from my bedside table and switch the TV on. A handsome news reporter is telling a local story about a serial robber on the loose. He states that the last reported robbery took place in a small gated neighborhood, not far from mine. I shiver and turn off the TV quickly. stories like this easily scare me. I shake off my paranoia and get out of bed, walking to my closet. After changing my shirt and changing into a new pair of boxers, I go downstairs, running the different options of breakfast foods through my head. I grab a French pastry from the box on the counter, letting my sweet tooth decide for me. I open the fridge and take a water bottle, sighing loudly in frustration. I longingly look through the large glass doors leading to the backyard, mentally bidding farewell to my summer. Summer vacation just started, and I already know it's gonna be horrible.

All of the guys I usually spend time with are on some sort of trip. Every last one of them. Minhyuk left the week before school ended. He's spending his entire break in America for some "excelling students" program. Jihoon's staying with his grandparents. Jaehyo and his parents are taking a trip to Japan. Kyung has summer school, so he's out of the question. That just leaves Taeil, but we never hang out alone. There's always been an awkward atmosphere between us. I shake my head and get ready to go back to my room when I hear a loud noise coming from the backyard.

I jump violently, startled by the noise. Chills creep up my spine as I back away from the stairs, never breaking eye contact with the reflective glass leading to the backyard. My heart racing a mile a minute, I tiptoe to the kitchen counter, setting my breakfast down and searching through the drawers until I find a long, sharp butcher knife. I close my eyes and clear my throat before calling out. "Mom? Is that you?" I fearfully whisper, glancing back and forth between the knife and the backyard. I hold my breath and wait for a possible response. Nothing. I try again. "Dad? Is-" I stop when I hear a small, low groaning noise coming from somewhere outside.

I lower myself onto my hands and knees and crawl toward the source of the noise. I cautiously peer through the glass, scanning the large yard for intruders. Seeing nothing, I let out a breath I didn't even know I'd been holding in. As soon as I deem the backyard as safe, I push myself up and shake my head, giving a small, relieved chuckle. I walk back to the counter and grab my breakfast, trying in vain to open the tightly sealed water bottle, when I notice something out of the corner of my eye. It takes me a few seconds to register what I'm seeing, and when I do, it catches me completely off guard.

There's a man about ten feet away from me, staring at me from the opposite side of the glass.

"Oh!" I let out a surprised yell, dropping my pastry and newly opened water bottle. The intruder taps on the glass and says something to me, but I can't hear anything over the blood rushing through my ears. I back up until I hit the counter, hands blindly searching for the knife. Suddenly I feel lightheaded. I tightly grip the edge of the counter to steady my swaying body. The man grabs the doorknob and I freeze. I inwardly panic, but gather courage after seeing the sharp knife in my hand. I take half a step forward, ing it in his direction. The man raises his hands and takes a step back.

"Whoa," he says in a deep, surprised voice. "I'm just-" I cut him off by slamming the of the knife into the counter. "S-stay where you are," I demand in a shaky voice. "I'm calling the police right now. If you move, I-I'll stab you!" The intruder's expression changes from surprised to fearful. He quickly covers the few feet between us and grabs my wrist, roughly yanking me forward. I scream and thrash around, trying desperately to pull my wrist from his tight grasp. I take a step to the side and fall, slipping in the water from earlier. I let out a cry as I land hard on my arm, my knife clattering to the floor and sliding out of reach. I turn my head to the side and let out a wailing scream. The man sits on my stomach and arms to keep me down, roughly slapping his hand over my mouth.

My entire body goes limp, and all of my previous adrenaline leaves me. I warily watch him as he leans closer to my face, urgency clear in his expression. "No no no, please don't scream!" He begs in a panicked voice. "I'm not gonna hurt you! Look!" He reaches behind himself with his free hand and pulls out a phone. He presses a few buttons and holds the phone into the air above my face. "No new messages," His phone states. "Message playback." He shifts on my stomach, his lips and eyeing the phone expectantly. "Woo Jiho," says a familiar voice. "This is Mr. Kim." My eyes widen at the recognition of my father's voice. "I'm giving you the job. I'll be expecting you tomorrow morning at seven o'clock. Don't be late."

The man on top of me closes his phone and looks down at me. "See? Your dad hired me to take care of the backyard! I'm not trying to hurt you!"

I'm so relieved I could cry.  Then I have a thought. I narrow my eyes accusingly. "Why didn't you say something before, then? Don't you know that there's a robber on the loose?" I try to nudge him off of me, but he stays still. "I thought you were trying to break in!"

"I tried to say something, but you wouldn't let me! Listen, you believe me, right?" He asks. I slowly nod my head and he gets off of my stomach, allowing me to breathe. A wave of nausea sweeps over me, and I barely have time to sit up before vomiting all over the hardwood floor.