Introduction

My Dear Stranger

 

“Look, your opinions don’t have any value in this ensemble. You guys have had me for almost the whole year, so you should know how I work.” The director twirled the baton in his right hand, then scanned the room. “I’m telling you. I’m the director, I know what I’m doing.” 
 
A young figure sitting by herself in the back of the room let out an exasperated sigh. Of course she herself was only a freshman, and being as it was; Did a freshman’s opinion ever matter? Perhaps this director was speaking directly to her. She hated the mere fact that every time she tried to offer advice to him, he’d turn her down. But she wasn’t stupid and her advice wasn’t far from the point. But then again, orchestra was a prison that kept her confined to her seat, her position, and her bubble of silence.  
 
It was known that most of the orchestra was quiet. They were lacking the mere talent to play or were just plain cocky. Amy Yeon disliked every notion of the class. She disliked the long hours that were spent in this windowless room and how every minute felt like the deepest level of hell. However it may have played out, the only factors of orchestra that she enjoyed were combined ensembles with the wind instruments and percussion as well as being a part of the school musicals. Perhaps in those occurrences, she was able to associate with people more like herself, if that even could happen. 
 
Amy Yeon, talented as she may be in the field of music, wasn’t such a social butterfly. Of course, the explanation may be that her reputation to be loud and outgoing was crushed by the eminent and obvious environment of the orchestra she was a part of. Around close friends and family, Amy was known to be the life and soul of the party. And to the general eye, she was quiet, reserved and professional. All the assumptions of her being a mute, may have been true. But you can never judge a book by it’s cover, right?