Of Moons and Popeye

Indecent Proposals

 

She has always been so cute. The way she puckers up her lips if something bothers her or the way she cutely sticks out her tounge when trying to concentrate on something. And this is one of those times that she is unaware of her charms.

It was a good day to have outdoor activities as it is neither too hot nor too windy. It was just perfect. The park is full of people enjoying a  nice day out- children running around the park playing various games, some families sprawled out on their picnic mats and lovers lounging beside the cool river.

One of the trees lining beside the river is an old willow tree. It was a huge tree that is believed to house dark spirits so children doesn’t often stray near that area. Only a sweet angel frequents the tree that many avoids. It all started when her puppy got lost in the park and found it sleeping under that old willow tree. It was so magical then with its huge trunk and low branches gently swaying in the breeze. She decided from then on that it will be her own sanctuary.

A small smile graced her lips as she she reads a book beneath the old willow tree. Only twelve years old but she can be considered perfect in his eyes. She’s wearing her favorite blue colored shirt with a pair of a now dirty white pants. She’s also wearing a black sneakers that was given to her by her friend Krystal. She seems absorbed in what she is reading as she hardly lifts her head from the book.

Myungsoo watches her from afar. He had been admiring her from the moment he laid his eyes on her for almost nearly an hour. She has been so different from all the girls that he knew. She looks like an angel despite her rowdy appearance. He’s been friends with her since she rescued him from being caught sneaking out of their school. And at that moment, looking at the eyes of his rescuer, he was so sure that she is the one for him.

With the same determination that he only shows when trying to impress his parents, he approached her with great confidence and declared the words that he once saw in a romantic film.

“Suzy, will you marry me?”

The girl in question raised her head slowly as if she’s not sure if she heard his question correctly. “What?”

Myungsoo looked straight into her eyes as he slowly approached her. He suddenly felt weak. It seems like all the assurance he had earlier left him. The stalks of the flowers that he picked earlier are now terribly crushed in his hold. He gulped nervously as he struggles to verbalize the words that he uttered earlier.

“Will you be the Sailor Moon to my Popeye?” He stumbled the words in panic as he s the crumpled flowers, that suspiciously looks like the ornaments from the bushes nearby, towards her.

The little girl was dumbfounded as she tries to grasp what Myungsoo have just said. “The... Sailor Moon... to your Popeye?”

Myungsoo grabbed her hand and put the bunch of flowers in them. He bit his lips in mortification at what he just said. Stupid mouth! What on earth made him say that!

Suzy looks at him in amusement. She knows his favorite show is about that ninja kid with blond hair  and not the buff man who eats spinach for a boost of power while her only favorite girly show is indeed the Sailor Moon. She doesn’t know why she likes the show when the only other shows she watches are action packed cartoons and animes.

“Popeye might be a sailor but you do know that he is old, right? And Sailor Moon is about school girls with powers. What makes you think that they can be... together?”

Myungsoo felt his cheeks burn as Suzy is now sporting an all out grin that made her look even more beautiful.

“Well, they’re both sailors right? I don’t even like the old freak but I’ll be anything to be with you,” he argues as he tried to justify himself.

Suzy can’t hold it any longer and burst out laughing. Her sweet laughter feels up the air as she looks at Myungsoo cheekily. “Sailor Moon only have girly sailor outfits. It doesn’t mean that they’re both sailors nor can they be together.”

Myungsoo frowned at her but is still determined with his pursuit. “Well, then will you be the peanut butter to my jelly?”

“I hate peanut butter. They stick on the top of my mouth whenever I eat them.”

“How about being the sun to my morning?”

“I don’t like the sun. It’s hot. I actually like the rain more. It’s very refreshing.”

“How about being the straw to my berry?”

“How are you going to drink from a berry?”

Myungsoo is on the verge of giving up but the teasing smile on her lips reminds him why he was doing it in the first place. He his lips as he tries to think of a different approach. His twelve years of experience in life is hardly enough to teach him anything about romantic pursuits. The only thing that he knows are those of the fairy tale stories. Then he remembered his brother. His brother is considered as one of the good looking guys in their school and also known as the school playboy. He sometimes saw his brother making moves with some girls from their school. Maybe using his pick-up lines won’t hurt Myungsoo. Besides, his brother is also known to have one of the most beautiful girlfriend in their area. If it manages him to capture such beauty, then what’s stopping Myungsoo from capturing this angel’s heart?

“Did it hurt?”

Suzy was once again puzzled. She doesn’t know where her friend is going with this. “Did what hurt?”

“Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?”

“Heaven?”

“Because to me you’re a fallen angel.”

Suzy smiled but she is determined to make things harder for Myungsoo- and for whatever it is that he wants from her.

“I actually think I’m quite the daredevil. My parents also think so.”

Myungsoo couldn’t argue with that. She’s the adventurous kind of a child. She gets herself more into trouble than him. Despite her angelic nature and visage, she’s probably the most fearless among their group of friends. She is usually the one whom everyone run to when they need need help. She also a firm believer of justice and sometimes this leads to her bold actions and blunt words.

“Do you have a map?”

“No, why?”

“Because I just got lost in your eyes.”

Suzy was enjoying their playful banter. Her friends always treat her like a princess because of her family status. She was born to a political family so her friends are always careful with what they say or do around her. Despite this, she tries to be one of them- a girl just trying to enjoy her childhood. Luckily enough, some of her friends and Myungsoo treats her without preconception.

Suzy smiled sweetly and said, “I’ll be happy to guide you back with my fist in your face.”

Myungsoo cringe at the thought. All his lines have been thwarted by this angel-turned-devil in front of him. She’s a really good friend anyone could have but she’s also a cruel enemy anyone wishes to avoid.

“I am not going to give up. I decided from now on that I am going to be your husband one day. I’ll keep on bugging you till you finally agree or we get really, really old,” he declared to her with great conviction. He is determined, damn it!

Suzy just smiled at him softly, now finally understanding what this is all about. She looks around her to see if any of their friends heard that. She knew some of her friends like Myungsoo and she don’t want to get into fight with any of them.

“Why me? Why not Jiyeon? She’s pretty and is more girly than I am. Or Krystal? She may act tough but I know she really likes you,” she tries to convince him as she plays with the flowers he just gave to her earlier.

“Why not you? You’re smart, brave, beautiful, kind and is the only girl who is not afraid to express herself in front of me. They couldn’t do what you do. They couldn’t burp in front of me or sleep with wide open. They wouldn’t even let their selves snore while sleeping whenever they know that I am around. They always try to be perfect.”

Suzy felt her brows twitched yet can’t also help but blush hotly at what he said. She glared at Myungsoo as she crossed her arms. “I did not do any of those. You are so full of your self. I will never be your girl if you continue to be a jerk.”

Myungsoo grinned wildly at what she said. “So, if I’ll be the perfect gentleman you will be my girlfriend?”

Suzy widened her eyes. It looks like she’s the one who’s trapped this time. She averted her eyes from him. “Of course not! I never said anything like that.”

“Yes, you did!”

“No, I did not!”

“You did!”

“Did not!”

“Did!”

“Did not!”

“Did!”

“Did not!”

“Did not!”

“Did!”

“YOU ADMIT IT!,” Myungsoo exclaimed victoriously as he began jumping up and down.

Suzy couldn’t help but smile at the sight. He really is cute. She doesn’t normally jump in with the conversations of her friends about their crushes. She’s doesn’t really like the mushiness of romance. Take a look at her older sister. She’s been in love with the same boy for years but it doesn’t seem to get her anywhere. The poor girl just ends up hurt whenever she sees the boy with another girl.

“Okay, fine! I’ll be your ‘girl’ in one condition.”

“What is it?”

“You will be my slave until I decided that you are indeed true to your words.”

Suzy grinned evilly as she observed his reaction. She couldn’t paint his reaction. It looks like it’s stuck between happinness and nervousness. Yes, she knows why he seems to be sweating now. Being her slave may also mean being her own personal punching bag.

Myungsoo smiled uncertainly and nervously said, “Anything for you my angel.”

 


 

So, that's for the first part. I intend to make this a one shot but I somehow lost the second part of this. The next part should be updated in a few days. I have to rewrite the whole thing, ugh! Anyways, freely point out mistakes that I have (if there are some) or leave any constructive criticisms. Thank you for reading!