Final

What Came Between Us

 

"What happened to us?" the tall boy asked, looking at the other with sad eyes.

 

"What do you mean?" he asked, his gaze averting the other's.

 

"When did we start to drift apart...?" he could feel his eyes fill with tears.

 

"Yeol... Sungyeol... I'm sorry..." It pained him to see Sungyeol this way, his best friend, his past lover.

 

"How could I let this happen...? Myungsoo I miss you..." he couldn't hold it in anymore, the tears started to spill. "I know I'm childish and I get on your nerves often... but please... let's go back to how we were before..."

 

            There was a silence between the two, one that used to give them comfort, but now enveloped them in sadness. Myungsoo could feel his heart breaking again, it was hard enough to let Sungyeol go the first time, but to literally push him away like this broke him. He couldn't explain what happened, but one day the words 'I love you' and the small touches shared between the two were no longer as special. Someone, or something, happened to step in between the two.

 

"Sungyeol... I-I..." he trailed off, his eyes on the floor.

 

"It's Woohyun isn't it?" Sungyeol asked, trying to be strong as Myungsoo's eyes locked with his. It took all he had not to cave under the pressure, not to fall to his knees and beg for him to return to his side. "Is that what happened to us? Was that all I meant to you? Meaningless words, fleeting moments and a waste of time? I loved-- no I love you. More than anything, I always have and I won't ever stop."

 

"You meant the world to me..." Myungsoo took a step forward, reaching his hand out to the older, but retracted once Sungyeol took a step back, as if afraid to be touched. "My heart still hasn't changed... but Yeol... you don't see it... the way you look at me has changed, the way you say my name has changed. I'm no longer your lover, I've become a burden to you."

 

            Sungyeol's eyes widened in surprise, he hadn't expected those words, but he couldn't deny them. Being together had changed the both of them, but Sungyeol, to not lose Myungsoo had put a tight grip on him. He didn't want to have him slip through his fingertips and taken by someone else so he wouldn't let him go out alone nor be with anyone else alone, this may have seemed like a burden to Myungsoo but Sungyeol it was fear.

 

"I didn't want to lose you..." Sungyeol murmured, wiping at the tears falling down his cheeks. "I didn't want you to wander into someone else's arms... I guess in the end I was the one that pushed you away."

 

"Yeol."

 

            Sungyeol didn't step back this time as Myungsoo slid his arms around his waist and pulled the taller against him. Sungyeol fit perfectly with him, they were the perfect match. Myungsoo pulled away to look him in the eyes, he wiped away the boys tears, kissing the stains on his cheek, then letting his lips meet Sungyeol's.

 

            No words needed to be said, just this was enough to calm Sungyeol's heart and put Myungsoo's back together. In that one kiss, they felt everything, the hurt, sadness, remorse, regret, but most importantly they felt the love that they had never lost for each other.