And We'll Linger On...

Goodbye and Best Wishes

[A few hours later]

Chun stared at his phone's screen as it kept on flashing an unregistered number thet's trying to call him. Though the number is unregistered, he knew who it was. He has memorized that number by heart.

 

He took a deep breath and pressed the answer button, "Hello?" he tried to sound as normal as he could. His heart was beating three times faster due to nervouness because he was afraid of what he's going to hear next.

 

"Chun." The caller spoke. He closed his eyes hearing her say his name again. It was far more better than any other melody he has ever heard. "It's me, Ella."

 

"What do you want?" he asked. He does not intend to sound rude but he wanted this conversation to end as soon as possible because god knows what he could do if he continues to act like there's nothing not normal with her talking to him.

 

"Uhmm... I want to talk to you. Do you have a free time?"

 

He'll be seeing her once more. His heart fluttered with excitment and anxiousness. It might be something good or bad but he disgregarded that. He's aching to see her once more. "Tomorrow. 3pm." was his short reply.

 

"Can you come over my place?"

 

"It's settled then." he said and ended the call. He does not want to talk to her any further, yet. He isn't prepared. But tomorrow, he hopes that he will be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[The next day]

 

She was sitting on her couch trying to focus her attention on the television screen in front of her. No matter how hard she tried to calm herself, she couldn't. She looked at the clock for the nth time this day. It read 2:46pm. 14 minutes from now, he'll be coming to knock at her door... or rather ring her doorbell. She sat there feeling uneasy, trying to rehearse the lines she'll be saying later on. She already thought of all the things she'd tell him before she even phoned him yesterday but then right now, she feels so unprepared. It was almost similar to what she felt when she first joined that contest that made her a star years ago except that this one has no audience but that guy she knew so much about a year ago and deliberately avoiding now.

 

Her heart jumped when she heard the dorbell ring. It was like electricity was shot right through her. She once again glanced at the clock, 2:54pm. Why does he have to be six minutes earlier? Getting up from her seat, she braced herself for whatever may happen next as she opened the door.

 

There he stood. His hands in his pockets and his eyes were cold and emotionless, looking at her. She stood there dumbstruck, looking back at him. Awkwardness surrounded the both of them, she can't find the words to say and neither did he.

 

He gave her a small meek smile but it was enough to ease the tension. She returned the gestured and timidly invited him to come in. He nodded and walked inside, sitting himself on the couch where she was sitting earlier.

 

"Do you want anything? Coffee? Juice?" she offered.

 

"Nope. Just say what you have to say. I really don't have much time." He straightforwardly said. Trying to act as calm and relaxed as possible. He did not want to let her know what he truly feels inside, he didn't want to look pathetic because he's already done doing that before and he's also afraid that he might not be able to hold everything that he wants to say if he tries to softens himself infront of her.

 

She sat right up straight, trying to mask what she felt when his words stinged her. He does not have much time for her. That hurts, but he can't be blamed. She gave him a reason why he has more important things to be busy with than to have time with her.

 

"Have you been okay?" was the first question she asked. She did not know how to break it to him.

 

"Do you want the truth?" he asked. But it sounded more like a dare to her.

 

She meekly nodded.

 

He gave out a small chuckle and heaved a deep breath. He already told himself that he'd honestly tell her how he feel if ever she asks. He'll never know what could possibly change if ever he tells her the truth. After all, he had no idea why she asked him to come over.

 

"You know what, Ella..." he started. "I still can't believe that we're over." he paused to look at her reaction. She stayed steady though she felt her lungs tighten with his words. She badly waited to tell him now, but she allowed him to continue.

 

"After all those years... after all these years that I have been in Taiwan, you were always there for me. You were my comfort, you were my home. Every single day, you were the one who kept me going, the reason why I'm happy to stay. I don't even know how I was able to continue life after we broke up. You know, you were my everything and you were gone just like that. It hurts, it's hard to accept. But what could I do? You're not beside me anymore... I'm left with no choice but to cope up. It's pretty rough... but I'll carry on." then he gave her a sad smile.

 

His words pierced right through her. It hurts to know that someone out there is hurting because you're not around but you can't do a thing about it. "I'm sorry Chun, I really am."

 

"You don't have to." he replied. "I guess I deserve this after everything we've been through. Everything has been rough on you for the past three years... how about you, how have you been?"

 

She paused. She did not know what to answer, this is her chance to tell him what she wants to say. She fidgeted with her hands as she tried to calm herself down and find the words to say. He made it harder for her to tell him the news after all the things he said. He is still hurting after all this time and here she is, wanting to say something that will only add salt to the wound. She's afraid of the reaction she'll get from him.

 

She bit her lip before asking, "Have you heard the latest news about me?"

 

His brows furrowed. "Which one? About you getting married soon?"

 

She nodded.

 

"Are they for real?" he curiously asked. He could feel his heart beating faster. He was afraid, so afraid of what her answer might be. Though they're long ago over, he still had this little hope inside him that he'll have her back, soon when she realizes that he's a lot more better than that guy she's currently with. He still wanted to get her back, he's only buying his time. He was quite confident that he will still have her back because he believes that the both of them did not spend all those years for nothing and not a humble guy could ever take the strong feelings that they had for each other. Maybe what she had for this guy was merely infatuation and it'll be gone soon before she could even think of it.

 

He just hopes that he's receive the answer that he'd like to hear. They could not be getting married, that's ridiculous.

 

"Yes."

 

His heart dropped. His body froze and it seemed like he can't speak. All his emotions were in a swirl that he does not know what to feel exactly. He might be hearing words, it can't be true. They were not even together for a year yet!

 

"Wow, he's fast." was the only words that escaped his lips as he regained himself from the initial shock. He didn't mean to sound sarcastic but that was his initial reaction, he already said it before he realized how wrong it sounded.

 

"Chun, don't judge." she said. She'll never know what he thinks Alvin now, the man that she's currently with but she's pretty much sure that it's something negative. She knows that she might receive some negative reactions from other people once she tells her this simply because they have not dated for that long. Even her father opposed the idea of her marrying Alvin at first, but then she convinced him to agree after explaining to him.

 

"Are you sure about this, Elle? You only started dating months ago!" He snapped at her. He wanted to tell her how strongly he opposes the whole idea. The more that his brain tries to absorb the idea, the more that he finds reasons to oppose it.

 

"But we've known each other for years!" Ella argued. "I wouldn't agree to marry him if I didn't know him that well!"

 

"But Ella..." he started, he already had something in his mind to say but he can't find the right words. "I... you... that's different from having a romantic relationship. You only knew him as a friend for long, not a lover!"

 

"Yes but-"

 

He started talking again before she had the chance to finish what she wants to say. He could just not accept any reason for her to marry that guy because he, will all his heart, does not want her to marry any other man than him. "Are you insane, Ella? You think that's enough? Your years of friendship and short months of being a couple? You think that's enough reason for you to marry him? It is not! What do you take our three years of being together for, huh? What do you take all those times that we had to sneak out just so we could protect what we have from the media for? What do you take those gifts, those times we shared? Are they all for nothing to you? If you're going to marry him like that then I wish that we didn't have everything we had the past years! After all, if we stayed as friends for the past years and asked you to be my girlfriend a few months from now then you'd still accept my proposal anyway!"

 

He stopped when he felt a stinging sensation on his cheek. She just slapped him. That's when he realized that tears were already flowing down her cheeks. The view of seeing her cry hurted him more than the slap that he received.

 

"I did not regret the years I had with you, Chun. We may be over but that does not mean that I did not treasure everything we had! How could you just say those words to me?" she swallowed the lump in and continued to speak. "Chun, I valued everything we had. I took risks for you, for us... because I wanted to be with you, I wanted to be happy with you. I still wore those things you gave me even though I know people could already notice that we have similar items. I tried to squeeze my schedule so that I'd have time for you... I did everything for us to work, Chun. So don't you tell me that all those years meant nothing for me! I suffered more than you did in that relationship but I never regretted it, not even for a second!" then she continued to cry harder, she roughly wiped her tears with the back of her hand as soft sobs escaped her lips. The nerve of that guy! She never thought that he'd think of her that way. She only wanted to tell him about her impending marriage, she never expected to have another stupid fight with him. Maybe it would be better if she didn't ask him to come over and left everything unsaid instead. At least they'll not get into a useless fight like this.

 

Chun was left speechless. His heart broke as he watched her cry infront of him. He can't believe that she's still crying for her even though they're already over. He realized that he was indeed a jerk to her, he never did anything but make her cry. Shouldn't she be happy now because they're done and she would not have to cry because of him anymore? But she still is and he is extremely sorry for that. He did not want things to go this way, but his emotions was just too strong too handle. He lost control and he wished that he could just take back all those things he said.

 

"Ella... I'm sorry, I didn't mean what I said. I just got carried away." he sincerely said trying to comfort her as he reached out to hug her.

 

"Don't touch me!" Ella said as she slapped away his arms that were trying to envelope her. She felt so insulted that she refused to be comforted by the one who caused her distress.

 

He pulled his hands away, abiding to her wish. She just needs to calm herself, he thought. After all, what he just said were too much to handle. It's been months since they last saw each other and that last time was rather unpleasant. She was crying as he walked out the door, leaving everything they had behind without clearing things up, without explanations, without closure.

 

"Are you happy with him, Ella?" he asked.

 

She nodded. Still whimpering as tears rolled down her eyes. He sadly looked down. He wanted to take her back, but he's afraid that he'd hurt her again. He did not want her to suffer as much as he did not want to leave her. He guessed that she's really happy with that guy right now because she chose to be with him.

 

"Then... okay, I guess I'm left with no choice but to accept this." he looked her with sad eyes. He can't believe that he's saying this, that he's finally letting her go. "I hope you'll be happy with him all through out. I wish you all the best."

 

Ella looked at him. She was glad that he finally gave her his blessings, she felt like a weight was lifted off her shoulder. She felt so light, she did not know that this is how important his blessings were. She finally knew what Selina meant when she begged her to talk to him. The feeling was incomparable... she did not know that she had this urge for him to accept everything not until now, when he finally wished her happiness.

 

She drew closer to him and hugged him. "Thank you, Chun. Thank you so so much." tears were still rolling down her eyes but unlike before, the tears was for her happiness.

 

Chun enveloped his arms around her waist and rested her head on his chest. Savoring this hug that they're sharing which would probably be their last. "I will never forget you, Elle. Thank you for everything... may you be happy with your choices in your life. May you live a happy and blissful life with him and I hope that you'll have lovely children... like what you've always wanted."

 

She only nodded. "I'm sorry if I left you this way, I never wanted things to go this way but--"

 

"Shhhh." he whispered. "You don't need to be sorry... if things were meant to end like this then I'm left with no choice but to accept it. If this makes you happy, then I'm willing to finally let you go."

 

They stayed silent for a short while, enjoying tha warmth's of each other's embrace as silence enveloped them. Making this solitary moment worth their while.

 

"I just have one wish." Chun spoke, breaking the silence.

 

"What is it?"

 

"If you plan on sending me an invitation or anything, please don't." he said. He did not want to think of her marrying another man, moreover witnessing it happen. "I'll stay in Brunei for a while after all my work for this year is over. I wouldn't want the media bombarding me with questions when you finally decide to tell everyone. I guess I'll use my time there to think over things. I want to be alone and have peace."

 

"I respect what you want, Chun." she said, breaking free from his hug. She placed her hand on his cheek and caressed it. "Promise me that you'll be okay."

 

He took her hand and kissed it. "For you, I will be." then he rubbed his thumb at the back of it, staring at her delicate fingers, especially on the one where their ring used to be at. A few months from now, she'll be wearing a different man's ring.

 

"I guess I have to go now." he said and stood up. He momentarily closed his eyes and took a deep breath. His heart felt heavy. He fought the urge to cry right there and then. Everything now is over between them. He can't come back and claim her anymore, he can't call her his Ella anymore.

 

He turned to face her as she stood up from her seat. Her hazel brown eyes were looking back at him with conveying her sympathetic emotion. She's happy, yes. But she knows that this guy infront of her hurts like no one could imagine. Another important girl from his life is leaving him. She knew his issue about this, his fear of being left by someone he loved the most and this explains why he was protective and possessive for the past years. It choked her at times, but her love for him was stronger for her to refuse and she loved the feeling he gave her. That security like no one could ever harm her as long as he's there.

 

"Take care of yourself, Ella. In case you need a friend or someone to talk to, I'll be here for you. I will forever be here for you." He said and kissed her forehead. She closed her eyes as she felt the sincerity of his voice, reassuring her that he will keep his promise.

 

He once again smiled at her and brushed the stray strands of her hair on her forehead. "Be a good girl, okay? Promise me that you'll never hurt yourself."

 

She bowed down. "I will. Do the same for yourself, Chun. Please be happy."

 

He patted her does like how he usually does before with a small chuckle. "I will be. Goodbye and best wishes."

 

Then he walked out the door. Leaving the girl he wanted to be with his whole life inside, leaving all those dreams that he planned for the both of them, leaving those promises they made unfulfilled and brought the promise of being happy without her.

 

Leaving without saying the three words that he will always dedicate to her.

 

[END]

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 

Author's note: Sorry I had to end it like this. Lol. It's pretty heartbreaking, I know. But the storyline came to me while I was listening to David Cook's Always Be My Baby so I guess that explains why the whole storyline is like this. Trust me, I'm not taking sides between E & C and I don't hold any grudges in either of them. As I have said, this is purely fictional and does not intent to change your view and opinions in any way.