The beginning

Open Heart

"PARK JI YEON!!"

WHAT! startled i fall out of  my chair and onto the cafe's hard floor. 

"Ouch...." I look up to see the manager glaring at me.

"Ms.Jiyeon are you aware that this is the tenth time you have fallen asleep on the job?" oops... i must have dosed off at the cash register.... again.

My manager begins to lecture me again and i drone it out as usual. On the outside i put on a fake guilty face and on the inside i wish he will hurry and end this. Once he leaves i do as i usually do after those lectures...

get Hwayoung to cover for me while i sneak out to continue my peaceful nap..... life is good. Then i drift off into a wonderful dream of my favorite boy bands.

                                                                                                                                                                                           

After work the two of us went to the mall where Hwayoung scolded me for sleeping instead of working...

"JIyeon! Dont you realize that the manager is just going to doc your pay when you sleep on the job?! You know you cant afford to have your pay docked! You are 4 months late on your rent and hiding from your land lord! If you're not going to work seriously than you should go back to your grandmothers place..."

 

"Hwayoung you know i can't go back there... I still have scars from the time she beat me that night i came home late......" I shivered at the memory. My grandma was abusive and was often drunk. That night she happened to be upset and drunk. A horrible combination. And as a result of this i was beaten. Things havent been so easy since my parents died. Having to live on my own (rather than be abused), paying for college, paying rent.....

"Any ways Hwayoung i promise i'll work harder so i don't cause you any more trouble at work... maybe i should look for a new job, you know, one that pays more."

The following day

I met Hwayoung at school the next day and as we walked to class we noticed an unusually large crowd of girls gathering around a poster of some sort. The two of us jabbed our way through the crowd. We stood there in aw. It seems they were all signing up for this:

 

GET THE CHANCE OF A LIFE TIME.! WOOLIM ENTERTAINMENT IS LOOKING FOR YOUNG ASSISTANTS. SIGN UP NOW AND SEE IF YOU GET THE CHANCE TO WORK WITH SOME OF THE TOP STARS.

Now i understood what all of this was about. This really was a once in a life time chance. How much does something like this pay?

I look up at the sign up sheet and lose all hope,

There are only 4 spots left. Surely one of these crazed people from this giant crowd would beat me to it.

I fight my way back out of the crowd in disappointment. What to do now?

After all, i still had to put bread on my table, but my pockets are empty, and i cant hide from the landlord forever.....