One Shot of 10 Seconds

10 Seconds

 

Baekhyun's POV

 

I run towards my room upstairs after hanging up the phone in the living room. Chanyeol, my fiance, just called and asked me for a date. It's been a month since the last time I saw him because he went to China following his boss on a business trip. I can't hide my happiness as I scream and squeal like a girl. I strip off my clothes and run into the shower to take a fresh bath. Right after the shower, I try to find a perfect outfit for my date. Chanyeol loves seeing me in skinny white jeans and blue checkered shirt. He said I looked simple but so hot at the same time. Well, might as well wear what he likes. 

 

I'm in the middle of getting myself done when my mom bursts into my room with a pale face. Her eyes shot wide open when she saw me. She approaches me slowly and takes me into her embrace. I'm clueless. What the heck is wrong with mom? She continues hugging me oh so tightly and I can hear her sobs. What now? What makes her cry? I didn't expect what come next. I really don't. Mom said Chanyeol's noona called and she said Chanyeol involved in an accident. It seems bad. What the ? Chanyeol just called me like what? 30 minutes ago. What sort of sick joke my mom is playing on me?

 

I push her away from me. I shot death glare at her. I scream at her, told her to not trying to be funny. I walk back to the mirror and continue doing my hair. I want to look good in Chanyeol's eyes. Mom turns me around and her face is wet with her tears. She tries to persuade me to come with her to the hospital. I don't want to. I storm out from the room and enter the living room, switching on the television. Mom begs me to follow her. I said no. I want to watch the television while waiting for Chanyeol. I change the channel since I'm not interested with the show. News on the television. It's about an major accident occurred in the city of Seoul. The wrecked white Honda Accord catch my attention. My heart beats like crazy. Hey, Chanyeol has the exact same car. I catch a glimpse of the car's plate number. I immediately switch off the television with the remote control and throws the remote in unknown direction.

 

It's his plate number. I'm sure. I know it like it was ABC. I look towards the phone to my right. Please ring. God, please ring and let it be Chanyeol screaming in his happy voice, informing me that he's almost reach my home. I clasp my hands together, closing my eyes tight and silently pray for Chanyeol's appearance in front of me. I jump in my seat when a pair of hands grabs my shoulder. I look up and saw a sad smile of Chanyeol's noona. She kneels on the floor in front of me, patting my head so gently. She asks me to listen to her carefully. The only words that I heard are "Chanyeol can't hold on any longer". I can feel her thumbs wiping off something on my cheeks. I touch my cheeks and I realized my cheeks are wet. Damn, I don't even know I'm crying. Honestly, I don't even know what I feel right now. I know the news about Chanyeol's accident is true. My brain just can't accept it. And my heart? Doesn't feel anything anymore. 

 

I feel myself being drag by someone. I can't recognized whether it is my mom or Chanyeol's noona. They open the car's door for me and they help me to enter the car. God, I feel like a living corpse. The journey to the hospital is too soon to my liking. I wish we will never reach the hospital. For the first time in my life, I really hate going to see Chanyeol. We're standing in front of a door. Chanyeol's noona hugs me and she whispers into my ear, trying to give some of her strength to me. She opens the door and I step in. Two steps and I freeze on the ground, head hungs low. I stood there for some time. I feel Chanyeol's noona holds onto my hand tightly. I sigh and looks up. Almost immediately I cover my mouth with my both hands and scream silently.

 

On the hospital bed, lying my fiance, the one I love, the one who promised to make me his wife. Almost whole of his body wrapped with bandages. He even needs a machine support to breathe. His eyes are closed but I can see the pain from his face expression. That moment, I wish I'm the one who is on the bed because this is something my heart couldn't take it. I approach the bed slowly, and sit next to the bed. I touch his wrapped finger lightly and he's able to feel my presence. He opens his eyes ever so slowly and when he looks at me, I give him the sweetest smile he ever seen in his life. I held onto his hand , kiss it several times and cry. From his eyes, I know he's trying to apologize. I shake my head and tell him that this is not his fault. His eyes turns to his side. I look towards the direction of his eyes. He's looking at the table beside him. A red velvet box is neatly placed on top of the table. I know what he wants.

 

Everyone in the room is shocked to hear what I said. I asked them to find a priest for us. I want to get married to him now. All of them reluctant to do so, even Chanyeol's noona. She said it's ridiculous and that Chanyeol can't hold on any longer. That makes me even eager to marry him. There is no way I will let him leave this world without getting married to me. Even if he dies, I will marry his dead body. Call me crazy. Call me anything. I'm in love with this man since I was five and we are this close to be together, living our remaining lives as husband and wife. I'm going to give it to him now and I don't care. Chanyeol's noona gives up and walk out to find a priest at the hospital's small chapel. Not too long after that, she comes back with a priest, ready to start the wedding ceremony filled with sadness.

 

All the time the priest mumble things I don't even take any interest on, my eyes never left Chanyeol's. I tried to tell him how happy I am to soon be his wife. I even see a little smile from his eyes even though he's in a lot of pain. My mouth immediately say "I do" when the priest asked me if I will take Chanyeol as my husband. Of course I will. The priest asked Chanyeol next. He blink his eyes. I let out a sigh of happiness and cry again. "You may kiss him, son." I open Chanyeol's oxygen mask and immediately place a gently kiss on his lips. 

 

One second....I remembered the time my white puppy died and Chanyeol hugged me like as if he will never let me go....Two seconds....I remembered the first time he held my hand, both of us were so shy and his cheeks turned so red, it makes him looked so cute...Three seconds....I remembered a group of boys touched me and he came to my rescue but hospitalized for some days after that....Four seconds....I remembered being so jealous and didn't talked to him for days over a rumour I heard about him and this girl at school. He had to pushed me hard to the wall and kissed me like his life dependent on it....Five seconds....I remembered he brought out a cake during my birthday when the clock strikes twelve and he told me he can never live without me....Six seconds....I remembered us on a school camp where we sneaked out at night to watch stars and he suddenly confessed that he loves me so much....Seven seconds....I remembered during our final year at university, he had to scream to the crowd, claiming me as his because there are too many girls confessed to me and he's getting so freaking jealous. Eight seconds....I remembered us sit on a bench by Han River at night and he really didn't prepared anything but he kneeled and proposed to me to be his wife....Nine seconds....I rememberd the first time we made love after a huge fight because I suspecting him cheating on me with his co-worker. I shouldn't never doubt his love for me but that night was the most beautiful night for me....Ten seconds.... I know I'm kissing him right now and we're officially husband and wife. I managed to whisper to him that I will forever love him and I belong to no one but him.

 

Suddenly I heard the beep sound coming from the machine. I give him my final kiss, retreat from his lifeless body, tears runs down my cheeks. His family and my mom cry uncontrollably over his death. I take the red velvet box, open it and wear the ring. I kiss the ring and smile at his body. I love you so much, Park Chanyeol. I love you forever.

 

It's been twelve years since my ten-seconds-husband died and I only visited his grave during his death anniversary which also becomes our wedding anniversary. I kneel in front of his grave. I smile whenever I read the words craved on his tomb. Park Chanyeol, a proud son and a loving husband. "Chanyeol-ah, here I am again. How are you? Did you miss me? Because I miss you so much, I could go crazy. You always make me crazy over you." I giggled a bit and brush off dust from his tomb. "Chanyeol-ah, I'm living over our ten seconds memory as husband and wife. Don't worry about me, I'm doing great. I'm happy. I am truly happy I can have a chance to be your wife. Even if one day I forgot my own name, I will never forget the fact that I'm married to you. So you just wait for me there, alright? My time will come and soon we can be together again. No one can seperate us then." I stand up and put a fresh flowers on his grave. "I have to go now. I'll see you next year. I love you so much, Park Chanyeol." I walk out from the graveyard, never looking back.