White Orchids

The Meaning of Flowers

 

It’s been a year.

 

How are you, dad?

 

A year since my father’s death. I looked down and watched my feet as they took steps forward on their own.

 

I guess you could say he died pretty peacefully. He had been battling a tumor for some time and finally decided to let go, smiling at me one last time. I forced myself to keep the tears in as I thought about him. Mother was sick. She wanted to come with me to visit him but I forced her to stay home, afraid she’d leave me too.

 

I bumped into someone suddenly. Bowing and apologizing, I shuffled along again, annoyed at myself for being so clumsy. My father would’ve laughed and said I inherited it from mom.

 

Maybe…I should have brought him something? I just realized I was coming empty handed and I knew how people would bring their loved ones candles or something to place at the tombstone. I sighed and was about to turn around and head home when I spotted a dainty, pleasant little store at the corner of the block. I shrugged my shoulders, deciding it’d be easier to check it out than having to walk all the way back home.

 

I entered and a bell above me rang, notifying – if there was – anyone in the shop of my presence. Immediately, the smell of something refreshing and natural wafted towards me. The sight of dozens of flowers lined up everywhere in the tiny space lit up my eyes. Colours I didn’t even know the name of made the whole place bright and I wanted to run my hands through the delicate, soft looking plants.

 

“Can I help you with anything?”

 

I spun around and met eyes with a boy that looked a year or two younger than me. I almost forgot that this was a shop. I even forgot why I was here in the first place. He tilted his head, waiting for my answer.

 

“O-oh, yes you can actually.”

 

I wondered what happened, making me stutter.

 

“What is it?” he looked at me earnestly. So sincerely, like he actually wanted to help me, unlike regular workers, who you could obviously tell wanted nothing more than to just leave.

 

“Do you know a flower that means…‘I miss you’?”

 

“Oh, there’s quite a few of those,” he smiled lightly. It was dazzling; it could even put up a competition to the flowers, which were in my mind, one of the most beautiful things ever. “I’ll show you.”

 

He made his way near the back of the store and gestured to a small bunch of light coral coloured flowers. Its petals were fully opened, showing streaks of white. They were so pretty.

 

“These are called carnations and are the most common ‘I miss you’ flowers,” he looked at me expectantly. I nodded to show I heard him.

 

He pointed to a different flower beside it. “These ones are Stargazer Lilies. They have a more romantic feel to them and symbolize someone’s true feelings and emotions.” The flowers were dark fuchsia, bordering on red, with white at the tips of the petals. I liked it but since it had something romantic to it, I dismissed it.

 

“Do you have anymore?” I asked, not really getting the feel for both of the plants he had showed me.

 

He seemed to be thinking for a bit before he nodded and walked a few steps away. This time, they were white, with a little yellow core. It had few petals but was still beautiful. I liked this one more, it was simple.

 

“I can tell you like this one,” he raised his eyebrows at me. “They’re called White Orchids. They can have many meanings like purity and innocence but can also represent loneliness, showing you’re lonely without the person.”

 

“I do like it,” I reached out a hand to hold one of them.

 

“I’ll give them to you.” I look up at him in surprise.

 

“No, you don’t have to! I’ll pay for it, it’s okay,” I reassured him. Did I look that pitiful that he wanted to give it to me for free?

 

He just brilliantly smiled again. “I insist.”

 

I shook my head and d my pockets for my wallet. “No really, how much is - ” I felt nothing. I didn’t even bring money and I was telling the kid that I’d pay. I mentally banged my head for being so stupid.

 

The kid just softly laughed and picked up a big amount of the orchids, bringing them to the counter.

 

“Hey, I don’t need that much,” I followed him, feeling bad that he was giving me almost all of it.

 

“No, don’t worry, I can tell it means a lot to you. The person to receive this from you is really lucky.” He decorated it with a red bow.

 

Do you feel lucky, dad?

 

“I’m Lee Sungjong by the way,” he introduced himself.

 

“Oh Hayoung,” I would’ve shook his hand if he wasn’t busy preparing the flowers. He handed them over to me.

 

“Thank you,” I said and almost teared up at the help of this stranger. Actually, he wasn’t a stranger. He was a boy named Lee Sungjong. And I don’t think he knew how much I was touched by this act of kindness from him and the importance of what these flowers meant for me.

 

-

 

I at angst tbh. But I guess I'm pretty satisfied with this considering I wrote this in about half an hour. I’ll post the second part soon. Sungjong’s not even my bias but he fits this perfectly ^^ so enjoy~

 

PS: so much researching for all these flower names OTL

 

Here are pictures of them for visuals.

Carnations:

 

 

 

Stargazer lily:

 

 

 

 

White Orchids: