Strangers

By the Sea (Abandoned)

Whhhhirrrr

I looked up from my book at the sound of the kettle whistling. Recording the page number to memory, I placed it on the coffee table and walked out of my room to the kitchen. Grandma had just walked through the doorway as I was turning the stove off.

"Ahh," she grumbled. "Well, thank you Dearest, but I could have gotten it myself. Look at me. I'm here aren't I?"

I giggled. "Yes Grandma, I see you just fine." I moved to our cabinet and pulled our container of tea leaves out. "I presume you'll be having your usual rose tea-"

"No no no no no!" she said, shooing me away with her hands. "I am not old. I can take perfectly good care of myself and make a simple cup of tea without your help."

I shook my head and smiled as she nudged me aside. She took the rose tea leaves out first and furrowed her brows in contemplation. With a sideways glance to me, she put it back and pulled out the jasmine instead.

"Grandma, you're being childish."

She sprinkled the leaves into the pot and gave me a playful grin. "Who's to say I'm not just acting my own age?"

That's what I loved most about Grandma; she really didn't act her age. Although she was slow at walking nowadays, she still had the spirit of a young girl. Grandma was my best friend and the only mother I had.

She chuckled as she put her hand on my shoulder. I leaned down and she kissed me on the forehead.

"Do me a favor and close the window. It's getting chilly."

"Sure thing," I said as she retreated back to her room and dramas on VHS.

I walked out of the kitchen and into the living room. Our tiny house wasn't much, but this was surely the prettiest room. There were three long windows by the door - a large one in the middle, and two narrow ones on either side. All my life, they had always been bare. Grandma didn't see a point in putting curtains up since it would just block out the sunlight. Plus, who would peek into our house? There was nobody but us for miles.

I pulled the windows at the side down and locked it. Usually, I would be out on the beach reading my book, but the clouds looked so dark and heavy today. I drummed my fingers against the glass in thought. It was definitely going to rain and my immune system was horrible. So why did I feel the need to be out there? I turned around, telling myself to be content with just being inside the house.

"Maybe... I'll just go for a walk," I murmured.

My willpower was horrible as well.

I got my wool sweater from my room, pulled it over my head, and went out the front door. Standing on the deck, I breathed in the ocean air and smiled. I started down my usual path, holding my long dress up in one hand and watching the waves roll up to me. This was my home, this was where I belonged, and not even a silly rain cloud could part me from it. I loved this feeling- the salty wind blowing my hair about, the crashing waves sounding in my ears, and the soft sand crumbling beneath me in my own deserted beach.

Although, it seemed our beach wasn't so deserted today. 

Not too far off from where I was standing, I saw a tall but lean figure staring off into the waters. Judging from his baggy sweatpants and sweatshirt, I guessed it was a boy. This was awfully strange. We were a good distance away from any city and rarely had visitors.

I stared at him stare at the ocean. I suppose any normal person would have just let this stranger be, but my legs seemed to have a mind of their own. I walked by the long grass which was being blown in the direction of my house. Were the winds trying to tell me to turn back? Afterall, I didn't know him.

Just as I was about to turn around, I saw him crumple into the sand. He sighed deeply, brought his legs to his chest, and hung his head low. I could tell, even from far away, that he was more than just troubled. I didn't know him. I had never seen this person before in my entire life. So why did my heart drop into my stomach at this sight?

I started toward him again as he raised his head and looked away. He looked like he had just become aware of where he was. I watched as he followed his trail of footsteps back with his eyes until they disappeared in the distance. He seemed to be trying to remember how he got there.

We were a little more than five feet apart when I realized how awkward this situation would be. I gathered up my courage since I was too close to turn back now.

"E-excuse me."

His head shot up to me, a bit startled. 

"Oh, I didn't know that... I..." He quickly got up and dusted the sand off his pants. "Yes?"

I stood there, just blinking at him. I never really talked to anyone other than my grandmother and my aunt during her rare visits. He was the first boy I had met that was about my age... and he was beautiful. I took in his features for a second. He was noticeably taller than me, maybe half a foot. His hair was shaggy, jet black, and blew into his tired eyes. Although his dark circles were prominent and he looked like was dangerously sleep-deprived, there was something charming about him. I hadn't noticed that we were just staring at each other until the cold water crashed up to my bare feet.

"Ah!" I flinched back in shock and bunched up my dress more so it wouldn't get wet. He let out a faint chuckle at my actions. I looked back up and our eyes connected again.

"Aren't you..." I tried really hard to break the silence between us. "...cold?"

He blinked at me.

Really? That was all I could think of?

The boy scratched his head. "I really haven't noticed the cold." He pulled up his sleeve and ran a finger over his goosebumps. "I guess I am though."

"Are you okay?"

He looked up at me, and then back to the ocean, thinking over the question.

"No," he finally said, swallowing and looking down.

I waited for him to continue, but the only sound heard was the crashing waves. The wind whipped my hair about harshly and the ocean foam washed over my toes again. I looked up to the gray sky.

"The clouds are heavy," I tried to say above the wind. "It's going to rain soon. My house is just a little ways from here. Won't you come inside?"

"I'll be fine out here."

He didn't even look at me. He just kept staring at the waters. It made me sad to see someone so broken over something.

"Won't you tell me what's wrong then?"

The boy furrowed his eyebrows.

"I know we're strangers," I continued. "But if you're going through something difficult, it's really helpful to tell someone about your problems. People shouldn't have to carry their troubles by themself."

He turned to me slowly, trying to decide on whether or not he could trust me. I gave him a small smile.

"It's nothing really. I'm just going through some hard times as a trainee."

I tilted my head in confusion. What was a trainee?

"Please forgive me, but I don't understand."

He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. "Look, I really appreciate your concern but I just need to be alone right now."

I knew he didn't mean to hurt me, but it still stung a little. Why didn't he want to talk about it? My grandmother and I always shared our problems with each other.

Just then, it started to sprinkle. He didn't seem to notice it though.

"It gets really stormy in this area. You shouldn't be out here."

He ignored me.

"Please. My house is just right there," I said gesturing behind me.

"I'll be fine."

"No, you'll be sick." The rain drops came down faster and hit us harder. "Please," I begged.

He looked at me with curiosity, and then shook his head.

At that moment, it started pouring. The rain seeped under my dress and soaked my hair.

That was it.

"H-hey!" he yelled in surprise when I took his hand. "What are you doing?"

"We need to get out of this rain whether you like it or not."

He pulled himself from my grasp. "Why do you care so much?!" I reached for his arm again but he took a step back.

"Stop being so difficult and just listen to me!"

"You don't even know me!"

"Why should I have to know you to care?!"

We glared at each other as water streamed down our faces. I could clearly see that he wasn't going to back down. Well, neither was I.

I took a hold of his arm with both hands this time.

"I don't want to go inside!"

"You're going to  get sick!"

"Why can't you just leave me alone?!"

"Why can't you just stop being such a baby?!"

We bickered like this all the way to my doorstep. He slipped out of my grasp once and made a run for it but I caught him and dragged him into the house by the shirt. I pushed him inside, pulled the door close, and slumped against the wall as he turned to face me. We glared at each other again, panting from the fight we put each other through.

"Why did you slam the door so- omo!" My grandmother came in and held her chest in surprise.

"Grandma," I inhaled, trying to catch my breath. "This is... um..."

"Sanghyun," the boy finished, regaining his composure faster than me and bowing politely to her. "Park Sanghyun."

Sanghyun. What a beautiful name.

"I found him out on the beach and I didn't want him to get stuck in this storm," I explained.

"Say no more," Grandma said, putting her hands up. "Sanghyun-sshi, you are welcome to stay here for as long as you like. I'll go and get you two some towels. Oh, Dearest, light the fireplace, will you?"

She walked out, leaving us alone together. He turned to me and opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. I merely smiled at him and walked past to get the matches from the kitchen.

 

 

The next chapter will be shorter hopefully @_@ Comment and subscribe please ^_^